Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats the weather in melbourne like?

Whats the weather in melbourne like?

Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

dreamof_oz is on a distinguished road
Default Whats the weather in melbourne like?

Its cold, dark grey and miserable. Hate the UK winter!

Been to Mel but only visited during the end summer/autumn time which was quite warm with some days mildly cold and windy.

I cant wait to go to go back to Aus. Would like to know from those living in Melbourne, what is the weather like generally in Mel throughout yr especially winter time? Coat, gloves and central heating?
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Whats the weather in melbourne like?

Originally Posted by dreamof_oz

Been to Mel but only visited during the end summer/autumn time which was quite warm with some days mildly cold and windy.

I cant wait to go to go back to Aus. Would like to know from those living in Melbourne, what is the weather like generally in Mel throughout yr especially winter time? Coat, gloves and central heating?
No central heating in Oz even though some parts do need it!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:37 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Whats the weather in melbourne like?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
No central heating in Oz even though some parts do need it!

Cheers

Buzzy
No central heating???? Since when.

Plenty of central heating in Melbourne, maybe not so much in other states.

Melbourne can get pretty dreich in Winter but the other three seasons make up for it.
So much better than the humidity further north.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:19 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Whats the weather in melbourne like?

Originally Posted by Bordy
I stand corrected

I will quantify my generalization - Nobody's house I have been into in Oz has central heating. I thought that was the case throughout Oz. My mistake.

Humble pie - yum yum

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

gregevan is an unknown quantity at this point

Melbourne can get pretty dreich in Winter but the other three seasons make up for it.
Driech in Melbourne...........You should have a look outside ma front window right noo!
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:26 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Phew gonna say they'd better have it where we're going
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:45 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by possoms
Phew gonna say they'd better have it where we're going
I can guarantee they will Possom.

BTW a little possom ran in front of me this morning in my driveway.

Its 6.45am there is hardly a cloud in the sky & its to be 24 degrees & sunny all day today.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:00 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

I can guarantee they will Possom.

BTW a little possom ran in front of me this morning in my driveway.

Its 6.45am there is hardly a cloud in the sky & its to be 24 degrees & sunny all day today.
aww lil possom so cute weather sounds good too very very cold here just drinking some mulled wine
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Winter is cold and can be very wet. I was there summer 2004 (UK) winter rain was like being in Manchester and was almost freezing point once sun went down. So grey and over cast and dull. But the weather isn't the most important thing in life
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Winter is cold and can be very wet. I was there summer 2004 (UK) winter rain was like being in Manchester and was almost freezing point once sun went down. So grey and over cast and dull. But the weather isn't the most important thing in life
The way I look at it is that Melbourne is London +7 degrees, maybe more, and that does make a difference. There is more sun as well. Whilst you will feel cold, you will not freeze. When I lived in Melbourne I never ever had a winter coat, a scarf or a pair of gloves (apart from the footy) and can't remember the last time I felt frozen waiting for a bus or a tram like I did in the UK. But it's only 3 months, really. By mid September, the weather is definitely on the improve.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Most houses have ducted heating and you will need it. I would say the cold (7-14C max daytime, though 7C is rare) lasts from around mid June time to early September. We actually had snow in August for the first time this year in 50 odd years on parts of the Mornington Peninsula (Red Hill). The beauty about the weather here is when it gets hot (over 30C) in the summer, and I like the heat, it lasts for a day or so and then goes back to low 20's. Then about 3/4 days later it gets hot again. Seems to run in regular cycles like this all the way through to around March. The Autumn is the best season, but Autumn is also the time when everyone moans about the drought.

Last edited by Neil S; Dec 9th 2005 at 12:19 am.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:54 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
When I lived in Melbourne I never ever had a winter coat, a scarf or a pair of gloves (apart from the footy) and can't remember the last time I felt frozen waiting for a bus or a tram like I did in the UK.

Where are you now?
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:49 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I stand corrected

I will quantify my generalization - Nobody's house I have been into in Oz has central heating. I thought that was the case throughout Oz. My mistake.

Humble pie - yum yum

Cheers

Buzzy
We have 9 radiators (hydronic heating ) and two heated towel rails. We also have UPVC double glazing. Winters can be cold and you do need to insulate. The guy who did our double glazing has seen a massive increase in business over the past two years.

We had great moment a few weekd back when we had a hot snap. We have not had the fly wires fitted yet and our bedroom was stifling and we could not open the window .

Weather on the whole a ot better in the UK and you can say that you get a summer. Winter comes as a bit of a shock but if you insulate "she'll be right"
Old Dec 9th 2005, 4:25 am
Banned

blairdoesntcare is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want good weather move to Adelaide - its much nicer than Melbourne (I live in Melbourne and you would never hear an Oz saying Adelaide is better - but it really is!)

Adelaide has a beach at the end of the road, very low traffic volume, much lower cost of living, no trams, no urban spread like Melbourne - far far nicer - wish I have moved there!

Anyway we will be going back to Hampshire England in 2007 - which in our opinion is better than Australia anyway!

Good luck ! Mike

Old Dec 9th 2005, 5:12 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by blairdoesntcare
If you want good weather move to Adelaide - its much nicer than Melbourne (I live in Melbourne and you would never hear an Oz saying Adelaide is better - but it really is!)

Adelaide has a beach at the end of the road, very low traffic volume, much lower cost of living, no trams, no urban spread like Melbourne - far far nicer - wish I have moved there!

Anyway we will be going back to Hampshire England in 2007 - which in our opinion is better than Australia anyway!

Good luck ! Mike

Maybe we could have a whip round & get your ticket early.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.