Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats up with Central Coast 'bands'

Whats up with Central Coast 'bands'

Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all
Default Whats up with Central Coast 'bands'

I went away for a weekend to the Central Coast (near Umina) and found that there's a propensity towards cheesy blues / aussie rock bands in all the pubs and clubs there.
What a load of sh*te.

Why cant they promote the cooler, original stuff hat isnt a cover of Shannon Knowles or some stupid mainstream rock crap.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats up with Central Coast 'bands'

Originally Posted by wombatboy
I went away for a weekend to the Central Coast (near Umina) and found that there's a propensity towards cheesy blues / aussie rock bands in all the pubs and clubs there.
What a load of sh*te.

Why cant they promote the cooler, original stuff hat isnt a cover of Shannon Knowles or some stupid mainstream rock crap.
welcome to outta the city music
Old Aug 16th 2007, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

its crazy.
i wonder what its like in NZ. there's some cool dubby stuff that comes out of that place. i liked wellington when i was over there...a lot of good live bands.
newtown has some good music too
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

its crazy.
i wonder what its like in NZ. there's some cool dubby stuff that comes out of that place. i liked wellington when i was over there...a lot of good live bands.
newtown has some good music too
Yeah NZ (specially Wellington) has some good sounds, its like a mini melbourne I always think. Do you know the black seeds - well worth seeing when they're over. A mix of funk, dub and a splash of reggae beat with studio 1 style horns section. Me like lots.
Have you started to tap along to cold chisel tunes in Sydney
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:40 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

You know its funny the perception that people have of music!

Just for background - I'm an aussie, my girlfriend is a Brit!

You see these bands and think they are crap - when I came to England (3 years ago) I would go to english pubs and think the same thing - until an englishman pointed out that they were playing classic songs from bands like the Smiths, Blur, Stone Roses, Pulp etc (at this point I had to ask who the hell those bands where?!?! The Smiths??? Pulp who??? Stone-whatnow??)

After that I was standing there and realised that everyone else knew all of the songs and thought the were an unreal covers band - to me they just seemed like a crap pub band playing 80's rock!!

When we are in Australia we see bands and my girlfriend hates them. But to all the aussies standing there its awesome as these bands are playing covers of Austrlalian classics like Midnight Oil, Silverchair, Hunters & Collectors, Screaming Jets, Cold Chisel and so on!!

Its just about where you have grown up and what you know!!

If you had grown up in Australia you would have heard these songs a million times and prob love to hear a pub band playing 'good old fashioned aussie rock' - just like you brits love to hear the music you have grown up with here in the UK!!

Imagine if me (as an Aussie) stood in one of your pubs (ie a pub in England) and said that I though the music was crap - when to you the music is good old fashionied proper british music from bands that were probably HUGE when you were a kid (depedning on your age, obviously).

....just about familiarity my good man, familiarity.....

Oh, and just for the record -as an avid music lover (and sometimes musician) I have grown to appreciate (if not love) those classic english bands that I had never heard of before coming to Blighty!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AndyR1976

You see these bands and think they are crap - when I came to England (3 years ago) I would go to english pubs and think the same thing - until an englishman pointed out that they were playing classic songs from bands like the Smiths, Blur, Stone Roses, Pulp etc (at this point I had to ask who the hell those bands where?!?! The Smiths??? Pulp who??? Stone-whatnow??)

After that I was standing there and realised that everyone else knew all of the songs and thought the were an unreal covers band - to me they just seemed like a crap pub band playing 80's rock!!

When we are in Australia we see bands and my girlfriend hates them. But to all the aussies standing there its awesome as these bands are playing covers of Austrlalian classics like Midnight Oil, Silverchair, Hunters & Collectors, Screaming Jets, Cold Chisel and so on!!

If you had grown up in Australia you would have heard these songs a million times and prob love to hear a pub band playing 'good old fashioned aussie rock' - just like you brits love to hear the music you have grown up with here in the UK!!

Imagine if me (as an Aussie) stood in one of your pubs (ie a pub in England) and said that I though the music was crap - when to you the music is good old fashionied proper british music from bands that were probably HUGE when you were a kid (depedning on your age, obviously).

Oh, and just for the record -as an avid music lover (and sometimes musician) I have grown to appreciate (if not love) those classic english bands that I had never heard of before coming to Blighty!
yeah but what about all the struggling bands playing original material. you cant tell me theres not loads of them who would like to play a pub on a sunday. fine when you are drunk on a sat night its good to hear a few old tunes, but not everywhere all the time ...ummm..

still, spot on about the old UK bands. i loved the stone roses.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Yeah NZ (specially Wellington) has some good sounds, its like a mini melbourne I always think. Do you know the black seeds - well worth seeing when they're over. A mix of funk, dub and a splash of reggae beat with studio 1 style horns section. Me like lots.
Have you started to tap along to cold chisel tunes in Sydney
i love the black seeds! i also love fat freddys drop and kora....similar stuff
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:26 am

gedge has disabled reputation

and if you grew up in neither country you come to realise that all pub bands sound the same
consuming alcohol usually improves your reception of it though i have found
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

i love the black seeds! i also love fat freddys drop and kora....similar stuff
yeah brill arent they. I do prefer black seeds live to Fat Freddys though.
Theres normally a dub vibesy type festival in NZ during Jan, never been but it sounds like it'd be great.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Most aussie music is rock based, on the whole, by n large. If that isnt to your taste ......
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:10 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Most aussie music is rock based, on the whole, by n large. If that isnt to your taste ......
Definately this was the case in the 1980's particuary, bands like the Hunters and Collectors, Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel et at were your typical 4/5 piece rock bands (singer, drummer, 2 guitars and bass with a piano every now and then for the ballands)

Things are a little different now though. I grew up on the coast which is much more of a chilled out/surfing/lazing around culture than in the city and Australia really has now developed some fine ARTISTS - not just rock musicians.

I am thinking here of some of the great (and original) aussie singer-songwriters (the xavier rudds, john butler trio's, pete murrays and bernard fannings of the world) as well as the bands that are just a little different (Silverchair and the arrangements done by Van Dyke Parks on their most recetn 2 albums).

Although Australia has always had a history of great singer-songwriters and brilliant talent, they are often never heard of outside of the big island and it is only the last decade where they have made their mark on the mainstream (ie commercial) music scene.

If you want some good live music (and like acoustic stuff) on the central coast then there are options! the Break Bar in Terrigal (my home town) has (or used to have) Tuesday open-mic night (well, a bit mnore organised than an open mic night - each performer would have a set time and around 20 mins to rattle off a few songs) no covers, all original and all acoustic. Used to get some great performers in there and was a terrific way of fostering some local talent.

I usually do little concerts at home - if I ever have a BBQ and get a few friends around then one of my guitars comes out and we have a little sing-song!!! I love it!

Plus writing songs about your friends is great - I had a song-writing session at my last BBQ in the UK before I return to Australia and me and a few friends sat down, I write the music, they write the lyrics - some wierd and wonderful songs come up after a few drinks......
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I agree with most if this.
When i first arrived in Perth i thought what the hell is all this crappy music about. Never heard of any of the bands and i couldn't buy anything i had heard of.
I now realise we all grow up to enjoy what we are used to, so it doesn't mean OZ music is crap, just that i am not used to it.

I still don't know many bands here at all, but i am getting used to it. Saying that i still prefer what i know and always will.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Although Australia has always had a history of great singer-songwriters and brilliant talent, they are often never heard of outside of the big island and it is only the last decade where they have made their mark on the mainstream (ie commercial) music scene.

If you want some good live music (and like acoustic stuff) on the central coast then there are options! the Break Bar in Terrigal (my home town) has (or used to have) Tuesday open-mic night (well, a bit mnore organised than an open mic night - each performer would have a set time and around 20 mins to rattle off a few songs) no covers, all original and all acoustic. Used to get some great performers in there and was a terrific way of fostering some local talent.
i'll check these out next time i'm up there. nice one

i like the aussie band Gerling. They are amazingly talented ...guitar stuff and dance stuff. i produce my own music here in oz too and have been in a couple of bands.
so i dont want to pooh on the music scene here in Oz because theres some wicked good talent here.
I should start another thread now called "Less Pokies, more live bands" hee hee