Whats with the "up"?

Whats with the "up"?

Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whats with the "up"?

Hi all

As hubby and I arrive in Perth mid November I have been researching areas for accommodation (with a view to buying a property). I notice so many place names end with "up" i.e Dandalup, Dwellingup, Yallingup etc. Does anyone have an opinion on the significance of this? Is it some aboriginal reference?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains!

Wannabe Wallaby
Old Aug 26th 2003, 8:08 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Whats with the "up"?

Originally posted by WannabeWallaby
Hi all

As hubby and I arrive in Perth mid November I have been researching areas for accommodation (with a view to buying a property). I notice so many place names end with "up" i.e Dandalup, Dwellingup, Yallingup etc. Does anyone have an opinion on the significance of this? Is it some aboriginal reference?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains!

Wannabe Wallaby
Why do so many West Australian towns end with "up"?

Having lived in WA I've always understood that "up" and "in" at the end of place names in that state reflected Aboriginal references to "near water". Probably because of different dialects, the "up" towns are mainly south of a line running south-east of Perth, eg Wagerup, Yallingup, Manjimup, etc, while the "in" towns north of this line include Narrogin, Kondinin, Wagin, etc.

Geoffrey Dunstan, Lindfield

The "up" in WA place names is derived from the local Aboriginal dialect meaning "place of".

Rosemary Fagen, Randwick (ex Gnowangerup)

http://old.smh.com.au/news/0202/09/s...pectrum15.html
Old Aug 27th 2003, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats with the "up"?

Originally posted by Megalania
Why do so many West Australian towns end with "up"?

Having lived in WA I've always understood that "up" and "in" at the end of place names in that state reflected Aboriginal references to "near water". Probably because of different dialects, the "up" towns are mainly south of a line running south-east of Perth, eg Wagerup, Yallingup, Manjimup, etc, while the "in" towns north of this line include Narrogin, Kondinin, Wagin, etc.

Geoffrey Dunstan, Lindfield

The "up" in WA place names is derived from the local Aboriginal dialect meaning "place of".

Rosemary Fagen, Randwick (ex Gnowangerup)

http://old.smh.com.au/news/0202/09/s...pectrum15.html

Thank you for clearing that up for me.......I guess this also applies to places ending in "ong"???

Wannabe Wallaby