Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WHATS THE TRUTH ABOUT XMAS DAY

WHATS THE TRUTH ABOUT XMAS DAY

Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light
Default WHATS THE TRUTH ABOUT XMAS DAY

Hi my names Lo,

We are in process of trying to get visa to come over to live in Perth.

We are coming over to stay in my husbands brothers house for a month this xmas in Joondalup, is it true that most people go down to the beach and have a b.b.q on xmas day or is he having me on!!!

It just got me thinking last night as to what most english people do for xmas day, do they still all stay indoors with traditional turkey like in England, or is it 'party on the beach'

I know it may sound a dumb question but it keeps nagging in my head, please stop it nagging..
Old Sep 25th 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHATS THE TRUTH ABOUT XMAS DAY

Originally Posted by yanchep
Hi my names Lo,

We are coming over to stay in my husbands brothers house for a month this xmas in Joondalup, is it true that most people go down to the beach and have a b.b.q on xmas day or is he having me on!!!

It just got me thinking last night as to what most english people do for xmas day, do they still all stay indoors with traditional turkey like in England, or is it 'party on the beach'

I know it may sound a dumb question but it keeps nagging in my head, please stop it nagging..
dont know about others but we are having a barbie at home for lunch then we are driving over to rellies (3hr each way) for supper then home. We are planning to have our more tradiitional celebrations on Boxing Day ( as it will be UK Christmas day) and we aresaving some of our pressies to open when we talk to family on webcam!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:49 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

We had the full works Christmas dinner when it had cooled down on Christmas Eve then the following day opened pressies while having a champagne breakfast bbq at the side of the pool.............................a lot different from the 'traditional' brit Xmas of eating a drinking till you feel like bursting and then falling asleep in front of the tele
We spent the rest of the day in and out of the pool with breaks for liquid refreshment and a few nibbles. Friends kept dropping in throughout the day with more liquid refreshment, nibbles and swimming cossies

And yes we did have sprouts with the Christmas dinner much to the disgust of our Aussie friends (why do they hate sprouts so much??????????)

Loz x
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:17 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but there is no Santa, it's your mum and dad...
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:29 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but there is no Santa, it's your mum and dad...
BUGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:55 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We BBQ on Christmas day. Too hot for the roast thing and much better to have a nice BBQ, a few beers and spend the day in the swimming pool.

Having said that we have both outlaws in the country now and I suspect we wil be going to two sets of Christmas dinner.......sigh
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It was 16 degrees on xmas day last year - too cold to go outside
Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:57 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

I love christmas here.

We normally spend the morning on the beach with champgane and bacon sandwiches, then back home for a bbq, cool off in the pool and a few beers.

Our first xmas was fab not rellies to visit - no having to diciding in july who you will be spending xams day with - no being stuck in the kitchen cooking and missing out on the present opening.

This year we are spending the day with our 'new' family -
our friends

Turkey, beer, lots of silly games - bring it on
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:06 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Im not English, so dont know if I qualify,but....

Champers, turkey sarnies down the beach for a couple of hours (will be loads of fun this year as weve just had a surf board made)!!

Then off to friends for drinks and a barbie where other friends will arrive later for a pissed game of cricket at the park.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:11 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

usually go down the beach for a while if its not too hot....went a couple years ago with picnic in tow but it was so windy and HOT HOT we had a beer a dook in the ocean then back up to the house and cooked prawns on the stove on the patio and then got pished lol remember mr & mrs Wmoore yer first aussie chrissy lol or maybes you dont
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:19 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the beach thing on Christmas day, did it the first year we were here but not since. Have my Dad here this year so it will be a relaxing affair at home with a bbq and a dip in the pool.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by yanchep
Hi my names Lo,

We don't do the beach thing (have tried it but too much hassle and too hot). We have a circle of pommie friends who we get together with every Christmas, we start with late brekkie & Pimms, then do cold turkey and prawns plus loads of bits, in and out of the pool all day. I love it!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of Aussies do the full roast dinner story. I reckon the barbie on the beach is a bit of a myth.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:37 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Plenty of Aussies do the full roast dinner story. I reckon the barbie on the beach is a bit of a myth.
Barbie on the beach...no thanks...can do that anytime of year!!
Why people rush to the beach on Xmas day i will never understand. We take our time, get up when we feel like it. Open presents, then prepare the dinner. Yes, we have a hot roast on Xmas day. Beats having a barbie first thing.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Barbie on the beach...no thanks...can do that anytime of year!!
Why people rush to the beach on Xmas day i will never understand. We take our time, get up when we feel like it. Open presents, then prepare the dinner. Yes, we have a hot roast on Xmas day. Beats having a barbie first thing.
Yeah, I think Xmas on the beach is a pretty crap idea. I'm looking forward to spending it at home with my beautiful family. Will probably do a roast - on the bbq.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.