Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's their attitude towards us?

What's their attitude towards us?

Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:41 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's their attitude towards us?

I've never had a problem with the locals, but then again, I'm anglo.

My Australian born, ethnically Chinese mate gets hassle quite frequently, his family goes in to "lock down" on Australia Day, as I suspect do many non white Aussies.

My Singaporean colleague told me recently how he was so pleased to have got a car as he was sick of all the racist abuse he used to get on the bus.

In answer to your question, if you are white, then you'll be aright.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If you dont mind being ribbed about being a whingeing Pom and having a funny accent you will be fine. Interesting that the Poms are fair game but if they try it on with any other ethnic group then the racist card gets played.

Being white isnt a panacea against all abuse either. My son got mugged by a gang of Lebanese youths when we were visiting Sydney a few years ago and we had the misfortune to live next to a family of Aborigines at one stage - they came to us regularly for assistance, which was fine, but they were never backwards at screaming abuse to us, our kids and other neighbours when the grog took hold of them. Sadly, racism cuts both ways as far as I can see.

Last edited by quoll; Oct 11th 2007 at 12:06 am.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:16 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carla-trev
Hi to all those people already living down under!

Have a question......Hubby was at work the other day and at the moment he is working for a lady who used to be a air hostess for British Airways. She flew to Australia frequently and she said (not knowing we have applied to emigrate!) that Australians really don't like the Brits and can actually be quite rude and nasty towards us. Is this true? I was under the impression that they do like to give a good ribbing about "whinging poms" and the like, but if you took it in good humour and gave as good back, you would fine.

Have any of you experienced this rudeness/nastiness first hand or heard of it towards Brits? Does ribbing/mucking about EVER go too far? Is it like to offend?

All responses welcome, please be honest.....

Carla
I have been here over 3 years and never had any problems.....if people come to a new country with the ...I want everything the same as the UK only with sunshine attitude, then IMO thats the people who have the problems. We move to another country...our choice...we have to learn to fit in and embrace the Aussie lifestyle...else why bother coming. You get rude people all over the world....its part of life...arseholes haha
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

Been here 8 years and never been really offended...sometimes I think they take it a little too far...but hey, they're convicts and uncouth ones at that!

Just give back as good as you get and Aussies are a great bunch of whinging, sport obsessed, rednecks.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Mid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really niceMid Lifer is just really nice

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt

Just give back as good as you get and Aussies are a great bunch of whinging, sport obsessed, rednecks.
Got to agree.In over a year the only "abuse" Ive had is at work about how crap we are at cricket,rugby etc.It was really sweet to be able to give some back after last saturday's quarter final result.
Go on the "grumpy old men"
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:28 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
I have been here over 3 years and never had any problems.....if people come to a new country with the ...I want everything the same as the UK only with sunshine attitude, then IMO thats the people who have the problems. We move to another country...our choice...we have to learn to fit in and embrace the Aussie lifestyle...else why bother coming. You get rude people all over the world....its part of life...arseholes haha
Absolutely, I haven't had any problems either. When in Rome and all that. The people I know who have had problems are the ones with superior attitudes.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

28 years here now and I can honestly say I've never had any problems either - can't remember a single solitary occasion when anyone has made a derogatory remark (or maybe I'm just deaf).

On the contrary, in my early days everyone was really interested in where I came from, why I'd come and very keen to know what I thought of the place. As I absolutely loved it, I had no trouble being enthusiastic. Maybe if I'd taken the opportunity to whinge instead, they might not have been so friendly.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 2:13 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by biggy
Oh I tell a lie....I was walking down the street one day and had forgotten to do my zip up in my jeans...this bint walked past and said..your zips down love...or can you not get it up past your gut...........I turned round and said well at least I can lose weight....your stuck with yer ugly gob!!!!! she was from the UK....and her Aussie mate came over and said....well done for standing up to her....she is so bloody rude...hmmm understatement of the year
Old Oct 11th 2007, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Australia is a country, it has the same problems as any other country - crime, drugs, pollution, etc.
By the same tokens Australians are people - some of them accept migrants, some dislike them , some are friendly to strangers, some aren't. the British are the same, some are friendly to immigrants in the UK, some aren't, some accept, some don't.
One difference is that on a day to day basis Aussies are much more likely to talk to you and strike up a friendly conversation, chatting to someone on a bus or train or in a shop is normal here, and they like taking the mick but in a friendly way and certainly i have only met friendly Aussies so far.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:11 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carla-trev
Hi to all those people already living down under!

Have a question......Hubby was at work the other day and at the moment he is working for a lady who used to be a air hostess for British Airways. She flew to Australia frequently and she said (not knowing we have applied to emigrate!) that Australians really don't like the Brits and can actually be quite rude and nasty towards us. Is this true? I was under the impression that they do like to give a good ribbing about "whinging poms" and the like, but if you took it in good humour and gave as good back, you would fine.

Have any of you experienced this rudeness/nastiness first hand or heard of it towards Brits? Does ribbing/mucking about EVER go too far? Is it like to offend?

All responses welcome, please be honest.....

Carla

I haven't had any problems so far. Most seem to like the british as long as you have the right attitude.

If I was to go around saying "In England we do things like this" etc etc then I think it would be a different story.

Unfortunately though there seems to be a whole generation of guys here who are pretty racist towards people from other parts of the World. Whilst having my driving test the examiner said some pretty shocking things towards some people we drove past, for example.