Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats the score on guns in OZ?

Whats the score on guns in OZ?

Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whats the score on guns in OZ?

Hi Guys,

I just wondered what the score is with respect to Guns in OZ? Is it like the USA where anyone can get one or is it like Canada where its very tough to get a permit or is it like the UK where its almost impossible? What are the publics attitude to guns?

Maybe a silly question but I did a search on the forum and no one seems to have really asked this question outside of clay pidgeon shooting.

Cheers

Chris
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:43 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Whats the score on guns in OZ?

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Hi Guys,

I just wondered what the score is with respect to Guns in OZ? Is it like the USA where anyone can get one or is it like Canada where its very tough to get a permit or is it like the UK where its almost impossible? What are the publics attitude to guns?

Maybe a silly question but I did a search on the forum and no one seems to have really asked this question outside of clay pidgeon shooting.

Cheers

Chris
its very hard to get a gun legally since that nut in Tasmania murdered 35 people in the worlds worst spree killing. :scared:
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

Hi,
My hubbie has just got his gun license & all he had to do was take a test & do some required hours of practice shooting at the Gun club.
Pretty easy I thought!!
Stace

Hi Guys,

Cheers

Chris
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:09 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Cheers

Chris
It's like the UK (give or take a little bit).
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

If I remember right,yes you have to take a test,you can't have any gun,no semi auto,no hand guns ,no air rifles and there's a police check to see if you are a nutter or crim with any records .And you have to get a letter from a gun club saying you are a member,or from a property owner saying you shoot there ot keep vermin down.Then you have to store them in a certain way,the bolts out in a separate container,the ammo stored separate in a cabinet bolted to the floor.
This was for QLD so no sure if all the states are the same.My ex hubby sold a lot of his guns in the buy back the gov had a few years ago and made a great profit on the ones he handed in.Not everyone declared thier guns so there are plenty out there still.
cheers
Lorri
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:49 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supersonic4
If I remember right,yes you have to take a test,you can't have any gun,no semi auto,no hand guns ,no air rifles and there's a police check to see if you are a nutter or crim with any records .And you have to get a letter from a gun club saying you are a member,or from a property owner saying you shoot there ot keep vermin down.Then you have to store them in a certain way,the bolts out in a separate container,the ammo stored separate in a cabinet bolted to the floor.
This was for QLD so no sure if all the states are the same.My ex hubby sold a lot of his guns in the buy back the gov had a few years ago and made a great profit on the ones he handed in.Not everyone declared thier guns so there are plenty out there still.
cheers
Lorri
You'll find since Port Arthur, it is pretty much Australia-wide. You can own handguns but you have to have a specific gun club membership and the usual permits, licences, storage etc, though if you have the right contacts, you can get your hands on practically any type of firearm, for example, a recent armoured car heist where they only took the weapons(probably 357 magnums) and left the cash.

Last edited by The Bloke; Mar 31st 2006 at 8:00 am.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:56 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Cheers

Chris
Unfortunately, the US Constitution allows anyone, even nuts, the right to bear arms, just look at all the right-wing militias. If they had to get checks like in Australia, the system would be overwhelmed, and even then I think the availibility on the blackmarket, well............
In Australia, now you really have to have a good excuse to own a gun now. Olympic shooter, Ian Diamond, had to surrender his licence and guns while facing charges of assault.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:54 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Unfortunately, the US Constitution allows anyone, even nuts, the right to bear arms, just look at all the right-wing militias. If they had to get checks like in Australia, the system would be overwhelmed, and even then I think the availibility on the blackmarket, well............
In Australia, now you really have to have a good excuse to own a gun now. Olympic shooter, Ian Diamond, had to surrender his licence and guns while facing charges of assault.
Actually, the American constitution actually intended for the "militia to have the right to bear arms".
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:02 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supersonic4
cheers
Lorri
Gun laws vary between states to some degree. You can for instance legally own handguns including semis like glocks. Collectors can even own machine guns I think as long as they are rendered inoperable in auto mode.

You also have to have a secure gun safe (sold at gun dealers) or else keep it at your club. You must not transport the weapon anywhere loaded.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:05 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Actually, the American constitution actually intended for the "militia to have the right to bear arms".
The 'militia' at the time that you refer to was basically made up of private citizens and not an actual military type force.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:14 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
The 'militia' at the time that you refer to was basically made up of private citizens and not an actual military type force.
But that didn't give all citizens the right to bear arms as the militia was created as a civilian faction by the government (or government forces).

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=militia

and

http://www.palmetto.org/eh-8.htm

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Mar 31st 2006 at 9:20 am.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:14 am

Now they're mainly extremist whackos e.g. Tim McViegh, although normal citizens can still purchase even automatic/assault weapons in gun stores with very little background checking. Also very lax regs regarding storage in homes.

The military is not much better. I was told years ago that the going rate for a Oz army slouch hat at a Hawaii army base was a Colt 45 automatic and that they are very lax in their securing of equipment, burying ammo and weapons in training areas and not handing them in.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
But that didn't give all citizens the right to bear arms as the militia was created as a civilian faction by the government (or government forces).

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=militia
The law relating to the right to bear arms of private US citizens has been before the US supreme court in the past, and judged they have that right in accordance with the constitution and relevant federal and state laws, ie convicted felons
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:27 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

The law relating to the right to bear arms of private US citizens has been before the US supreme court in the past, and judged they have that right in accordance with the constitution and relevant federal and state laws, ie convicted felons
True.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_...2The_People.22

but obviously a grey-area and subjective topic as the definitions drawn up for entities such as "the people" and "the militia" that existed over 200 years ago required clarification in 20th century terms and contexts.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:21 am
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

just been looking into bringing mine downthere (browning o/u shotgun) but it seems more hassle than its worth so im will have to flog it and take a loss on it . anyway down there they seem to be more into hunting rifles checked out prices on net and seem ok might treat myself to one ( wife permitting)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.