British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What's the score with bringing in 'food' in luggage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whats-score-bringing-food-luggage-605945/)

slipshot Apr 28th 2009 6:16 am

What's the score with bringing in 'food' in luggage

and by this I mean gravy granules, for example.

I've done it in the past and given they were unopened, there is nothing to smell and no issues.

However, I'm asking my parents to bring some out when they come to visit and as parents have a habit of doing, are worried about it, and what happens if they do not declare it etc.

Thus I wondered what the official rule was and what they should do - or whether it would just be easier for them to stick it in a box and post it to us as has been done before and never presented a problem.

Thus I wondered what the official line is, rather than having the hassle of my mother giving me verbal etc etc...

Any comments or thoughts...?

steve`o Apr 28th 2009 6:21 am

Re: What's the score with bringing in 'food' in luggage

Originally Posted by slipshot (Post 7521308)
and by this I mean gravy granules, for example.

I've done it in the past and given they were unopened, there is nothing to smell and no issues.

However, I'm asking my parents to bring some out when they come to visit and as parents have a habit of doing, are worried about it, and what happens if they do not declare it etc.

Thus I wondered what the official rule was and what they should do - or whether it would just be easier for them to stick it in a box and post it to us as has been done before and never presented a problem.

Thus I wondered what the official line is, rather than having the hassle of my mother giving me verbal etc etc...

Any comments or thoughts...?

just get them to declare it as they come through customs
its also a quick way to get through customs as a plane disembarks you get 450 people in the nothing to declare line and about 6 in the declare line ;)

ps ive bought crisps in the airport and declared them just to get through quicker lol

Deutschmaster Apr 28th 2009 6:46 am

Yeah, just declare it. I bought in two jars of marmite declaring it on the landing card. I was really surprised how at that time at Melbourne airport there wasn't a queue at customs.

Anyway customs bloke asks to see the food i'm declaring - I opened my bag to find that the top of one of the jars of marmite had cracked and there was marmite goo all over the inside of my bag. :p

So watch out with the gravy!

Swing-Your-Pants Apr 28th 2009 8:22 am

Gravey granules that contain meat products from the UK is a big no no. Something to do with BSE (Mad Cow) etc. Worst case is Aus Customs take them from you and you'll be a couple of quid down. They key thing is always declare food items to Aus Customs.

squeezzii Apr 28th 2009 9:09 am

just to reiterate the point. under no circumstances should you bring any foodstuff UNLESS you declare it - you are asking for trouble if you dont. The forms you have to fill in upon arrival are quite clear- if you have ANY foodstuff DECLARE IT. customs dont like being treated like idiots.

Anastasia Beaverhausen Apr 28th 2009 9:29 am

Mum and Dad have bought plenty of stuff over in the past. Sauce mixes, paxo, marmite, crisps and tea bags etc... They have packed it all in the same case, at the top so its easy to get too if customs want to inspect and have declared everything. Never had a problem.

slipshot Apr 28th 2009 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen (Post 7521819)
Mum and Dad have bought plenty of stuff over in the past. Sauce mixes, paxo, marmite, crisps and tea bags etc... They have packed it all in the same case, at the top so its easy to get too if customs want to inspect and have declared everything. Never had a problem.

Thanks - that was what I thought.

If there was the issue with gravy, then the shops here would not be selling it, but they are so I imagine it's like most things - declare it, unopened, and you'll be fine...

Dorothy Apr 28th 2009 11:33 am

When I went overseas in December I had to buy a new suitcase to bring back all the goodies I bought. I had about 10kg of chocolate and other assorted food for my kids. I declared it all and had absolutely no problems with customs at all.

Sally Simpson Apr 28th 2009 11:38 am

When we arrived I forgot to declare the jar of marmite. We had left the UK almost 2 weeks earlier! We were going through the declare side anyway & it showed up on the x-ray. The guy was really nice about it though & said just to make sure we declare stuff & that they will let most foodstuffs pass! He then went & gave my sons school shoes a really good clean! Service:thumbup:

Pastie Apr 28th 2009 11:49 am

On a slightly different note - but still the same theme - do you know if you can pack food stuffs to be shipped? We are hoping to come to Oz soon and thought it might be nice if some home comforts arrived with the furniture and stuff etc that we are shipping.

Is this allowed?

Sally Simpson Apr 28th 2009 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Pastie (Post 7522330)
On a slightly different note - but still the same theme - do you know if you can pack food stuffs to be shipped? We are hoping to come to Oz soon and thought it might be nice if some home comforts arrived with the furniture and stuff etc that we are shipping.

Is this allowed?

I don't think it is a problem as long as you declare it but check with your shipping agent!

The other thing to bear in mind though, is all the temperature changes that your shipping goes through en route. May adversely affect what you are sending!

Effie1970 Apr 28th 2009 12:21 pm

I've never had a problem either as long as its declared... I've bought marmite, twiglets, monster munch, double deckers... usually I pack it in a separate bag in my hand luggage so that it doesnt get damaged and I can take the bag out easily. So that my clothes etc dont get messed up if something leaks usually I dont pack it in checked luggage.

pumpkin blossom Apr 28th 2009 12:39 pm

The something to declare line was much longer when I came in. :( And took them quite some time to find a person to check out our dog hair clippers. :)

Total oposite to Manchester airport where I have tried to declare things twice and neither time has there been anyone at the window (they don't even bother with the walk through bit there) to see my fruit and flowers! I thought I would just tell someone on the green channel, but no, nobody there either. :blink:

Pollyana Apr 28th 2009 12:56 pm

Be careful with Chicken Bisto, some people have had problems with that, apart from that, the ordibary stuff should be fine, just declare it.
Same with crisps, sweets, chocolate and most other things. In bring in bag loads each year, as do many other people. The no-nos are fruit/veg/dairy products/meat/fish.

Most items have been discussed on here at least once, so whatever items people want to brig in, I suggest a search of BE on that item's name.

Juliecabs Apr 29th 2009 11:11 am

When I went over to Brisbane recently I took Nestle cereals, Walkers crisps, chocolate, teabags and Hellmans Extra Light mayonnaise. I declared everything. The only thing they were concerned about was the mayo and that was because of the egg content. If the egg content is more than 10% they won't let you bring it in but the squeezy bottles I brought were only 3% so they were fine.

Julie. x