Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's Sanctuary Lakes, Melbourne like?

What's Sanctuary Lakes, Melbourne like?

Old Nov 24th 2003, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

argonaut is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What's Sanctuary Lakes, Melbourne like?

...my wife's been thinking about building a house there when, and if, we ever move to Melbourne. Does anyone know what the area's like in terms of quality of neighbourhood, schools, distance to CBD etc? Which part of the Melbourne suburbs is it in?

I'll be asking many more questions in due course (trying to accumulate enough information to put me off leaving the UK), but that'll do for starters.

Many thanks.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Sanctuary Lakes, Melbourne like?

Originally posted by argonaut
...my wife's been thinking about building a house there when, and if, we ever move to Melbourne. Does anyone know what the area's like in terms of quality of neighbourhood, schools, distance to CBD etc? Which part of the Melbourne suburbs is it in?

I'll be asking many more questions in due course (trying to accumulate enough information to put me off leaving the UK), but that'll do for starters.

Many thanks.
I know Sanctuary Lakes very well argonaut. It is an area to the west of Melbourne which used to be an old salt works. It was bought by a Malaysian businessman. It is an exclusive estate built around man-made lakes and islands with a golf course designed by Greg Norman. Land and house owners become members of the golf club, tennis club, gymnasium etc. A large shopping centre has been built next door and primary schools have been built as well.

They have opened it in stages and are soon going to release the prime land with city views, close to the water. By freeway it is only about 20 minutes from the CBD and it is about 10 miles out.

There are very strict building regulations - only approved designs are allowed. There are a number of display homes on site and you basically have to pick one of the permitted designs - or buy an existing house. They are mostly double storey houses, a lot with waterfront because of the design of the lakes and islands.

We had a chance to buy a nice place about 5 years ago for less than $300k, it is now worth over $500k. However, I don't think prices have increased as fast there as other suburbs.

Residents also get private security and an annual fee covers this, gardening.

No doubt you have tried www.sanctuarylakes.com.au?

Keep this a secret but they have a cafe called Waterfront Cafe which the public can use. It has probably the cheapest meals in Melbourne and they are very good with a lovely terrace overlooking the golf course and the city in the distance.

OzTennis
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and its very nice but it is not some people's 'cup of tea'. It is a mixture of wealthy retirees, young families and people from overseas using it as a holiday house. It is in the west but it is a 'rose among the thorns'. More shops and schools will follow soon and there are secondary schools not too far away in Laverton, Hoppers Crossing, Werribee and Altona.

OzTennis
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by OzTennis
I know Sanctuary Lakes very well argonaut. It is an area to the west of Melbourne which used to be an old salt works. It was bought by a Malaysian businessman. It is an exclusive estate built around man-made lakes and islands with a golf course designed by Greg Norman. Land and house owners become members of the golf club, tennis club, gymnasium etc. A large shopping centre has been built next door and primary schools have been built as well.

They have opened it in stages and are soon going to release the prime land with city views, close to the water. By freeway it is only about 20 minutes from the CBD and it is about 10 miles out.

There are very strict building regulations - only approved designs are allowed. There are a number of display homes on site and you basically have to pick one of the permitted designs - or buy an existing house. They are mostly double storey houses, a lot with waterfront because of the design of the lakes and islands.

We had a chance to buy a nice place about 5 years ago for less than $300k, it is now worth over $500k. However, I don't think prices have increased as fast there as other suburbs.

Residents also get private security and an annual fee covers this, gardening.

No doubt you have tried www.sanctuarylakes.com.au?

Keep this a secret but they have a cafe called Waterfront Cafe which the public can use. It has probably the cheapest meals in Melbourne and they are very good with a lovely terrace overlooking the golf course and the city in the distance.

OzTennis
...many thanks for the prompt response! it appears quite a good location then, but people on other threads have advised others to avoid the Western suburbs of Melbourne. Why is this? Are the surrounding areas a bit rough?
Old Nov 24th 2003, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

AussieinLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

...many thanks for the prompt response! it appears quite a good location then, but people on other threads have advised others to avoid the Western suburbs of Melbourne. Why is this? Are the surrounding areas a bit rough?
This is the big problem with Melbourne. Get a map out and compare it to the size of London. It's bigger. Why? Because all of these places are in what used to be the countryside (eg. I recall when Hopper's Crossing was a rural community, now a part of 'Melbourne') and are now called part of Melbourne so they don't sound like they are in the sticks. Since road links etc. have improved over the last 20 years, these newer suburbs are much easier & quicker to get to and from so the spawl continues.

Sanctuary Lakes is out of the nasty (drugs mainly) parts of the Western suburbs, where a lot of nice folks are buying land and building. It's coming along quite nicely. Bear in mind that Williamstown used to be a very rough and horrid docks area, now its been rebuilt all lovely and it's the place to settle. The places to aviod, IMHO are the less recent parts of the western suburbs.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: What's Sanctuary Lakes, Melbourne like?

Originally posted by AussieinLondon
This is the big problem with Melbourne. Get a map out and compare it to the size of London. It's bigger. Why? Because all of these places are in what used to be the countryside (eg. I recall when Hopper's Crossing was a rural community, now a part of 'Melbourne') and are now called part of Melbourne so they don't sound like they are in the sticks. Since road links etc. have improved over the last 20 years, these newer suburbs are much easier & quicker to get to and from so the spawl continues.

Sanctuary Lakes is out of the nasty (drugs mainly) parts of the Western suburbs, where a lot of nice folks are buying land and building. It's coming along quite nicely. Bear in mind that Williamstown used to be a very rough and horrid docks area, now its been rebuilt all lovely and it's the place to settle. The places to aviod, IMHO are the less recent parts of the western suburbs.
..Thanks for the response guys. Are there better areas, not too long a commute from the CBD where nice houses can be had for $500,000ish? Not worried about being near the coast or anything like that.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The western suburbs of Melbourne have been traditionally for working class people and for (dare I say it here) new migrants because of the lower property values and proximity of industry. The land is also flatter than to the east and south. Certain suburbs would not be terribly desirable (eg Footscray, Sunshine, St Albans) but others such as Williamstown, Yarraville and Seddon are becoming very desirable because of the good stock of nice old houses (many people renovate them/extend them) and the proximity to the city and to the bay.

You won't get much in Williamstown certainly for $500k but you will in the others. With respect to Aussie in London I lived my first 30 years in Williamstown and it has always been a 'village by the sea' and a nice place where lots of people know each other. Yes, naval dockyards at Gellibrand Point but lovely old houses, yacht clubs, outdoor cafes, tree-lined streets etc and the best view in Melbourne across the bay to the city and hills beyond.

Further out - Laverton, Point Cook, Hoppers Crossing, Wyndham Vale, Werribee etc used to be on the fringes of the city but have developed rapidly with a lot of new houses, schools, shopping centres, hospitals etc being built. They are popular with young families and those on a lower budget which won't stretch to anything within an hour of CBD on the other side.

Into the picture comes the Malaysian businessman who sees a huge tract of cheap land and decides to set up a private estate around a golf course and leisure complex which is decidedly upmarket and the sort of thing you might find in Florida for example. That's Sanctuary Lakes.

I would have no qualms about living there because it is exactly the lifestyle we enjoy but as I said it isn't to everyone's liking. Some young families, if not put off by the prices, might think that there aren't enough young children there for example. It is a nice environment and safe too with good facilities nearby. I mentioned the private security. There are security guards patrolling the whole complex and cameras everywhere. This is not because of danger or rife crime nearby - it is for peace of mind of the residents. Every car which enters the estate has its number plate photographed and any potential burglars wouldn't bother as they know the security.

I should also add that in the suburbs I mention above you can probably get a property and size of block that would cost you twice (at least) that on the other side of the city. Don't be put off, do your homework, consider Sanctuary Lakes as a possibility.

OzTennis
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: What's Sanctuary Lakes, Melbourne like?

Originally posted by OzTennis
The western suburbs of Melbourne have been traditionally for working class people and for (dare I say it here) new migrants because of the lower property values and proximity of industry. The land is also flatter than to the east and south. Certain suburbs would not be terribly desirable (eg Footscray, Sunshine, St Albans) but others such as Williamstown, Yarraville and Seddon are becoming very desirable because of the good stock of nice old houses (many people renovate them/extend them) and the proximity to the city and to the bay.

You won't get much in Williamstown certainly for $500k but you will in the others. With respect to Aussie in London I lived my first 30 years in Williamstown and it has always been a 'village by the sea' and a nice place where lots of people know each other. Yes, naval dockyards at Gellibrand Point but lovely old houses, yacht clubs, outdoor cafes, tree-lined streets etc and the best view in Melbourne across the bay to the city and hills beyond.

Further out - Laverton, Point Cook, Hoppers Crossing, Wyndham Vale, Werribee etc used to be on the fringes of the city but have developed rapidly with a lot of new houses, schools, shopping centres, hospitals etc being built. They are popular with young families and those on a lower budget which won't stretch to anything within an hour of CBD on the other side.

Into the picture comes the Malaysian businessman who sees a huge tract of cheap land and decides to set up a private estate around a golf course and leisure complex which is decidedly upmarket and the sort of thing you might find in Florida for example. That's Sanctuary Lakes.

I would have no qualms about living there because it is exactly the lifestyle we enjoy but as I said it isn't to everyone's liking. Some young families, if not put off by the prices, might think that there aren't enough young children there for example. It is a nice environment and safe too with good facilities nearby. I mentioned the private security. There are security guards patrolling the whole complex and cameras everywhere. This is not because of danger or rife crime nearby - it is for peace of mind of the residents. Every car which enters the estate has its number plate photographed and any potential burglars wouldn't bother as they know the security.

I should also add that in the suburbs I mention above you can probably get a property and size of block that would cost you twice (at least) that on the other side of the city. Don't be put off, do your homework, consider Sanctuary Lakes as a possibility.

OzTennis
...thanks again for taking the time to reply! Enlightening as always! As you suggest, we'll check Sanctuary Lakes out thoroughly. By the way, when are you planning to go back to Oz?
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: What's Sanctuary Lakes, Melbourne like?

Originally posted by AussieinLondon

...appreciate the response and the information! Looks like the 'good' bits of the Western suburbs are up and coming areas and might be a good investment!
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:42 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

...appreciate the response and the information! Looks like the 'good' bits of the Western suburbs are up and coming areas and might be a good investment!
Spoken like a true accountant! You're coming round to the idea, then?

Jane
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: What's Sanctuary Lakes, Melbourne like?

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Spoken like a true accountant! You're coming round to the idea, then?

Jane
...slowwwwwly I think! Can't help it after all the bullying I've been at the receiving end of on my other thread!

Oh well...at least Melbourne's got a 'European' feel to it, or so I understand.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 11:04 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is lovely. We went at Easter because that's where we were planning to go, but changed our minds because we want to be out of the city a bit and have some land, but we couldn't find anywhere we wanted to live. You'll be fine though, going from London.

I'm sure if you stay around on here long enough, you'll find enough people giving you reasons not to go. Its all down to personal circumstance at the end of the day. Whats right for you, isn't necessarily whats right for anyone else, and how can you know whats right if you don't try other things?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jane
Old Nov 25th 2003, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

...thanks again for taking the time to reply! Enlightening as always! As you suggest, we'll check Sanctuary Lakes out thoroughly. By the way, when are you planning to go back to Oz?
Thanks, no worries. We can't put a definite time frame on the move because we are looking after my mother in law who is in her 80's (you'll know what I mean without spelling it out of course). We have a place in Williamstown which one of my brothers lives in at the moment so we have somewhere to go when we do move. We're going to give up the teaching and I can go into tennis coaching. (Mark Philippoussis was raised at the local club and a friend is head coach). I've sent you a PM with more SL's info.

OzTennis