Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats the rule with regard school application (Perth)

Whats the rule with regard school application (Perth)

Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:39 pm
darrens1

darrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nice
Default Whats the rule with regard school application (Perth)

Perth WA

Fly out 17/11/10 and have secured temp accommodation until 14/1/11
Whats the situation with regard school applications?
1)Can we apply whilst being still in the UK?
2)Can we apply whilst in temp accommodation/?
3) Do you need to be in a long term rental or own a property before you can apply for a particular school?

Also what year would the children (Boy 9, Girl 14) enrol?

Any feedback / clarification would be much appreciated

Regards
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the rule with regard school application (Perth)

Originally Posted by darrens1
Perth WA

3) Do you need to be in a long term rental or own a property before you can apply for a particular school?

Regards
It depends on the school. If your school of choice is particularly popular or already full you will need to provide proof of your residence in their catchment area such as a long term lease or ownership of a house. Other schools take out of catchment area enrollments so it's not a problem.

However, be aware that in November the school year is almost over so they won't be really doing much.

14 year old would be in year 9 and 9 year old would be in year 5 depending on their birthdays. The schools will have a better idea of where to place them when you go to enrol, though.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:06 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

You`ll need proof of address as part of the enrolment process and most schools won`t process an enrolment until after a face to face interview.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:40 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Perth WA

Regards
A school can tell you if they have places for both in catchment and out of catchment applications but as Gobbyjock above says full enrolment couldn't be done until you came to the school. For instance if you called my school from England I would tell you that if you were to arrive in my suburb now then I would have to take you if you are in boundary, even if the accommodation was temporary. However some schools will want to see a permanent lease agreement. If you wanted to send your kids to my school and you lived out of boundary and arrived today I could only take applications in a few different year groups. Out of catchments are full in some of our classes.

I know that one particular school in the northern suburbs insists you remove your kids if you move out of boundary, our school doesn't.

If your child turns 15 this year (2010) then I think they would currently be in year 10 ( I am not as familiar with high school ages, Gobbyjock, can you help with that one). Depending on birthdates again with your 9 year old. Birthday between 1/7/00 and 30/6/01 then they would enter year 4. Birthday between 1/7/01 and 30/6/02 then they would enter year 3.

Last edited by northernbird; Sep 1st 2010 at 11:44 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:29 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
A school can tell you if they have places for both in catchment and out of catchment applications but as Gobbyjock above says full enrolment couldn't be done until you came to the school. For instance if you called my school from England I would tell you that if you were to arrive in my suburb now then I would have to take you if you are in boundary, even if the accommodation was temporary. However some schools will want to see a permanent lease agreement. If you wanted to send your kids to my school and you lived out of boundary and arrived today I could only take applications in a few different year groups. Out of catchments are full in some of our classes.

I know that one particular school in the northern suburbs insists you remove your kids if you move out of boundary, our school doesn't.
If your child turns 15 this year (2010) then I think they would currently be in year 10 ( I am not as familiar with high school ages, Gobbyjock, can you help with that one). Depending on birthdates again with your 9 year old. Birthday between 1/7/00 and 30/6/01 then they would enter year 4. Birthday between 1/7/01 and 30/6/02 then they would enter year 3.

Off the top of my head

DOB = 97 Yr8 (though depends on if born towards end of 97 may be YR7 due to half co-hort), 96= Yr9 95 = Yr10, 94=Yr11, 93 = Yr12
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:53 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Perth WA

Regards
Great website for researching schools.
http://www.myschool.edu.au/

Good luck.