Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's right with Perth?

What's right with Perth?

Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:07 am
Just Joined

marie-claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Am planning on moving to Perth late next year. The more i read the threads the more i am starting to panic as there is a lot of negativity about Perth. Is it really that bad, boring, violent, etc. There must be some good things about the place.

Last edited by marie-claire; Nov 27th 2008 at 7:01 am.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future
Default Re: What's right with Perth?

Perth is a bit like marmite. You either love it or hate it.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:23 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marie-claire
Hi all

Am planning on moving to Perth late next year. The more i read the threads the more i am starting to panic as there is a lot of negativity about Perth. Is it really that bad, boring, violent, etc. There must be some good things about the place.
Haven't you asked this before ?

FWIW we are enjoying Perth but others don't. You will have to decide for yourself - I suppose it depends on what you enjoy and are hoping for.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

It depends what you're after in life. If I were young or single I wouldn't move here but I'm late 30s with two young boys and, for us, it's brilliant. The place is gorgeous, beaches always nearby, clean parks everywhere, lots of sport, sunshine, lots of work for my OH, friendly people and lots more.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Good:

Clean
Open spaces
No traffic
Good local bands/live music scene
Friendly (compared to where I lived in South London anyway)
Doesn't take long to get anywhere
Close proximity to nice beaches
Good restaurants
Petrol very cheap, down to around $1.05

Bad:

Seems to be a bit of an increase in violent crime (however, this seems mainly to do with alcohol and around pubs/nightclubs)
The worst drivers I have ever experienced
Very isolated (expensive to travel overseas anywhere)
Weather can be very hot (duh)
Lack of any real culture/history
Cost of living fairly high compared to UK (groceries/clothing etc)

So for me it's a real mix of bad and good to be honest. I'm enjoying it at the moment though.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Hi sme

I think i asked something similar, but basically what has happened is my husband posted the thread thinking he was logged in but he wasn't , i was. I did try to delete it but couldn't, so i just edited it.

How do u delete a thread entirely by the way, i tried but could not get rid of the title, hence the reason it is still there.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sme

I think i asked something similar, but basically what has happened is my husband posted the thread thinking he was logged in but he wasn't , i was. I did try to delete it but couldn't, so i just edited it.

How do u delete a thread entirely by the way, i tried but could not get rid of the title, hence the reason it is still there.
You ask a moderator to do it.

Anyway, try a search on here of the word "Perth" and you'll find literally hundreds of posts outlining the pros and cons of the area.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks Dorothy

Can a thread be got rid of once people have started replying.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy

Can a thread be got rid of once people have started replying.
Yes, if there is a valid reason for removing it. Simply PM a mod or admin.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all

We visited on our reccie and loved it, very clean and some lovely places nearby. I'd have probably picked WA to live, given my own choice but hubby liked east coast alot and mainly house prices seem cheaper over the other side. Sure you'll love it, read the forum for lots of tips/info and make up your own mind
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:46 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sme

You can never trust a husband !!!!!!

I agree with alot of the points Shoreym and Wookie made re. good and bad about Perth.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:08 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Hi all

Some people don't like it. One feature of Internet forums is that people with more extreme opnions tend to post more - you see much more polarised points of view online.

Personally, I like it very much. So do the two other sets of family who are out here. So do many others. I like the weather, the slower pace of life, the friendliness, etc.

You may find, in the long run, that it doesn't suit you, but there's certainly no need to panic!

Cheers
b