Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the realistic visa waiting time from applying to receiving?

whats the realistic visa waiting time from applying to receiving?

Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

davyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the rough
Default whats the realistic visa waiting time from applying to receiving?

Hi all, I have a dilemna! i have the chance to gain my BA hons(top up degree) in education in 1 year. we are almost ready to apply for our visas, my wife doesnt want to stay in blighty another year, what if i didnt enrol for my last year and it took more than a year to process our visa application? the qualification will open more doors for me when we get to oz, I'l be finished it by
June next year what would you do?
any replies HUGELY appreciated
thank you
Davyboy
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the realistic visa waiting time from applying to receiving?

depends on what visa you are applying for

but you might be better getting you degree and then applying but i think some one with more idea will be along to give you a better idea
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

davyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the rough

Sorry im applying for a skilled indepent Visa 136
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

Hi

Just to give you an idea. We sent our 136 application off in August 2006. Case officer assigned Dec 06. Visa in passport Jan 07. Depending on your circumstances it MAY move quickly. (Bear in mind we had no complications etc)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by h1tvd; Aug 30th 2007 at 9:09 am. Reason: wrong date
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Have a look at this website www.austimeline.com it will give you some idea of how long people are waiting. There seems to be a bit of a slowdown at the moment. Also if you don't get your 136 application in before 5pm on 31st August you wil have to apply for the new 175 visa.
Good luck in whatever you decide but personally I would do the degree!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies so far guys!!!!
keep em coming i need to print em off to convince the OH to wait another year
Davyboy
Old Aug 30th 2007, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Jojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really nice

Hi Davyboy,

We applied for a 136 (modl) in August 06, got case officer Feb 07, our visas were granted on 15th June 07. So 10 months start to finish!!

I have read on here that some people are getting them in 4-6 months, some 12-16 months, It depends on whether you're application is comprehensive enough. If you're missing information and documentation then the correspondance will drag it out. Apart from that it depends where you are in the pile..!!

Regards

Jo
Old Aug 30th 2007, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

Took Us 6mths 136 MODL , I dont know if that was just luck!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Inglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
I'm in the same boat as you.We've just applied for our 136 visa in august o7We'll probably get them around jan or feb 08?????(although no guarantees).Even if you get your visa before next summer you don't have to go out straight away, as long as you validate within 12 months.
We're not going to move out to Melbourne until I complete my degree in June 2008 and my son finishes his gcse's next summer.
I would love to go out sooner , but looking at the bigger picture I would rather finish my studies first in the hope of better prospects when we get there.However you have to think what's best for your own family as I know it will be hard waiting to go, but in my own personal situation I want to finish what I have started as far as my education is concerned and actually acheive something for myself.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by davyboy
Hi all, I have a dilemna! i have the chance to gain my BA hons(top up degree) in education in 1 year. we are almost ready to apply for our visas, my wife doesnt want to stay in blighty another year, what if i didnt enrol for my last year and it took more than a year to process our visa application? the qualification will open more doors for me when we get to oz, I'l be finished it by
June next year what would you do?
any replies HUGELY appreciated
thank you
Davyboy
I was in a similar dilems I had the oportunity to do a degree and defer going to Australia for 2 years, Ive chosen to do the degree and go in summer 2009, why? because I can do the job I want to over there, We will gain more by selling the house next year and pay off all our debts and rent for a year so we can up and leave quickly without hastle and it'll mean Ive got more time to complete the TRA and get it spot on.
Unfortunatly for us my husband is in a career that is being fast tracked so we could be ther in 4 -6 months if we wanted, but it just doesnt make sence to rush, its a huge decision and giving yourself a year to apply and get a visa will give you time to get everything in place and you may aswell do your BA.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Hi folks,

Am stunned it takes so long. We applied a few weeks ago for our state nominated visa. We thought the application had been sent by the agents, but guess what, after not hearing from them for a while and countless ignored emails, I then phoned their office and told them to cancel my application, as I had no feedback whatsoever from them, though they were fit to cash my cheque the day of receipt.

I hasten to add, they posted the application the next day. We are still waiting, 2 weeks in, apparently it can take up to 8 weeks for state nomination.

Then we apply for the skills assessment. My husband reckons he will do this himself as he is just waiting on receipt of a reference. This apparently takes up to 3 months.

Then we have to apply for the STNI visa, I think it is 137, does anyone know how long this will take. Are we wise applying for skills assessment before we hear from the state nominated people.

Thanks for your time,

Crocodileseamus
Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

DARREN1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We are applying for the 136 visa.
Sent the application 04/01/07, got a e-mail to say the application had been received on 29/01/07,received the request for police clearances and medical on 28/06/07 sent them 02/07/07 and we are still waiting
but hope to get there in october