Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats Pyrmont like?

Whats Pyrmont like?

Old Jul 1st 2006, 7:35 am
Just Joined

molesey will become famous soon enough
Default Whats Pyrmont like?

We are leaving the U.K in two months and we are heading to Sydney, we are looking for places to rent that are quite close to the city and someone mentioned that pyrmont is a nice place to live,is this true?Can anyone advise us on nice places to live that are fairly close to the city which are not that expensive.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Pyrmont like?

Hi Molesey,

We stayed in Pyrmont and would stay there again. 5 min walk to Darling Harbour and lovely views. Try this site -

http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/nsw/sydney

Best of luck,

Ann
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molesey
We are leaving the U.K in two months and we are heading to Sydney, we are looking for places to rent that are quite close to the city and someone mentioned that pyrmont is a nice place to live,is this true?Can anyone advise us on nice places to live that are fairly close to the city which are not that expensive.
Pyrmont is very nice but expensive too. A decent 2-bedroom apartment can be anything from $500/week and up and some of the newer modern 2 or 3 bedroom apartments rent for over $800/week. Terrace houses are popular because you get a bit more privacy but are snatched up very quickly. My cousin and her partner are in a 2-bedroom terrace house paying $600/week.

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Not expensive but nice places close to the city are mutually exclusive, unfortunately.

Pyrmont is handy for the city but it's not your average, residential area. There are a LOT of new blocks of flats in the area. So many that they had trouble renting them a couple of years ago. Not sure of the current situation as I believe there's a shortage of rental accommodation at the moment.
Pyrmont is a weird mixture of dozens of apartment blocks, more roads (freeways and flyovers) than you would expect for a small suburb, plus the odd warehouse or two. It was once an industrial area that housed workers from the shipyards and it still has a few streets of original houses but the bulk of Pyrmont is very different. It's not a family area - I'd be surprised if it even had a school, for example.

You could check out the Moore Park area. This is another previously industrial area (old factories etc) that has been rejuvenated with zillions of apartments. It's also close to the city but on the Paddington/eastern suburbs side. (That's the nicer side of Sydney, to me ) It's closer to the beaches and Bondi Junction shopping. There was an oversupply of apartments there too, and I know that another poster on here got a good deal on a rented apartment there only a few months ago.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

molesey will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Whats Pyrmont like?

Originally Posted by nickyc
Not expensive but nice places close to the city are mutually exclusive, unfortunately.

Pyrmont is handy for the city but it's not your average, residential area. There are a LOT of new blocks of flats in the area. So many that they had trouble renting them a couple of years ago. Not sure of the current situation as I believe there's a shortage of rental accommodation at the moment.
Pyrmont is a weird mixture of dozens of apartment blocks, more roads (freeways and flyovers) than you would expect for a small suburb, plus the odd warehouse or two. It was once an industrial area that housed workers from the shipyards and it still has a few streets of original houses but the bulk of Pyrmont is very different. It's not a family area - I'd be surprised if it even had a school, for example.

You could check out the Moore Park area. This is another previously industrial area (old factories etc) that has been rejuvenated with zillions of apartments. It's also close to the city but on the Paddington/eastern suburbs side. (That's the nicer side of Sydney, to me ) It's closer to the beaches and Bondi Junction shopping. There was an oversupply of apartments there too, and I know that another poster on here got a good deal on a rented apartment there only a few months ago.
Thanks for that nicky, i will look at moore park and also coogee, we are not too sure where to live, we would like something central and not too far from the city, its only going to be for 6 months i think, thanks again, molesey.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

The wifes sister has lived in pyrmont and have said many residents have moved the short distance to annandale for better value.
They are looking to buy there soon
Old Jul 1st 2006, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
The wifes sister has lived in pyrmont and have said many residents have moved the short distance to annandale for better value.
They are looking to buy there soon
Better value, but still expensive.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:30 pm
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough

I'm presently living in Ultimo, which is the next suburb to Pyrmont.
A good place to live while you become familiar with Sydney. It's very convenient and easy to explore the rest of Sydney from.

Pyrmont, Ultimo, Sydney is full of rental apartments, but there seems to be lots of competition and a bit of a shortage at the moment.

We are paying $480 per week for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment in a complex with swimming pool, gym and BBQ. The apartment is about 5 years old.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Nico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cdandi
I'm presently living in Ultimo, which is the next suburb to Pyrmont.
A good place to live while you become familiar with Sydney. It's very convenient and easy to explore the rest of Sydney from.

Pyrmont, Ultimo, Sydney is full of rental apartments, but there seems to be lots of competition and a bit of a shortage at the moment.

We are paying $480 per week for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment in a complex with swimming pool, gym and BBQ. The apartment is about 5 years old.
My daughter lived in Chippendale for a while, very central and quite cheap. She's in Glebe now, but that's a bit more expensive. She seemed to think Pyrmont was good for youngish people (ie. not my age group).
Nico
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:14 pm
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nico
My daughter lived in Chippendale for a while, very central and quite cheap. She's in Glebe now, but that's a bit more expensive. She seemed to think Pyrmont was good for youngish people (ie. not my age group).
Nico

Hi Nico.

I don't know what age you are but I would say that Pyrmont caters mainly for young flat sharers and older middle aged couples. It's not really ideal for young families.There are lots of restaurants and it's a walk to the City center.

Personally I would prefer to live a little further out in a house, but Pyrmont is a great stepping stone to exploring Sydney and deciding ultimately where you want to be.

Try also Ultimo, Sydney and Balmain. Chippendale is rough and sadly Glebe is also getting a bit that way. Both places also cater to Uni students.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:48 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I think the area you're after depends on what you want and expect from a place to live.

I'm in Glebe - it's a 10 minute walk to the fish markets, 20 minutes to Darling Harbour and 30 minutes to the city. Public transport is good, with good bus services and the light rail. There are also fab city views. And it feels like a small town within a city. And it's got Sydney's original eat street (Glebe Point Road), which is great for people watching over a coffee. (Hard sell over! ) (EDIT: Just to add, I don't think I've ever seen uni students here - too expensive for them. Think they've headed off towards Newtown - great for Thai food. Though we do get some backpackers out this way.)

Personally, I find Pyrmont and Ultimo soulless. There's not the same cafe culture that Glebe has - they feel too quiet; like no-one lives there ... Annandale is a nice suburb. And more affordable than some of the others (though still not cheap). It feels like it's further out than it is - partly because you don't get so much of the city view. Again, personally speaking, I'd avoid Chippendale - can't put my finger on why ... It just doesn't feel as chilled as the other areas. (And has a reputation for being rough.)

Coogee is obviously a long way out (in comparison). And I've only ever been in winter, so it had that horrid resort out of season feel.

But horses for courses. When you arrive, hire a car and explore them all - see what fits. It can be fun - honest!

Last edited by Geordie George; Jul 4th 2006 at 11:50 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

Move to the Eastern Beaches, they're the best! Avoid Bondi like the plague but any of the others are great. Short bus ride to the city, beach on your doorstep, great beaches, good cafes etc

Pyrmont is cool and great for the city but as people have said, formally industrial and has a strange feel although there's plenty going on and it's great being near the fish markets and the city