Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's with the NZ$ exchange rate?

What's with the NZ$ exchange rate?

Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's with the NZ$ exchange rate?

It's been plummetting recently, at 2.64 this morning. Does anyone have any idea why the NZ$ is so strong at the moment?

It is not as important once you're over there (although imports will cost more) but it makes getting over there much more difficult. I'm $70,000-$90,000 down on when I started this whole process, when the exchange rate was 3.1. If it doesn't recover within the next few months, it could seriously damage our prospects of emigrating. Or at least make us completely rethink our settlement plan.

This morning, it was the only currency in the Asia Pacific region that the pound was down against. And it was down well over 2 cents.

Maybe it's a good thing overall, but I dearly need the rate to rise significantly.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's with the NZ$ exchange rate?

Originally posted by sofistek
It's been plummetting recently, at 2.64 this morning. Does anyone have any idea why the NZ$ is so strong at the moment?

It is not as important once you're over there (although imports will cost more) but it makes getting over there much more difficult. I'm $70,000-$90,000 down on when I started this whole process, when the exchange rate was 3.1. If it doesn't recover within the next few months, it could seriously damage our prospects of emigrating. Or at least make us completely rethink our settlement plan.

This morning, it was the only currency in the Asia Pacific region that the pound was down against. And it was down well over 2 cents.

Maybe it's a good thing overall, but I dearly need the rate to rise significantly.
I agree its a puzzle to me too

Uk move rate up, NZ I believe, left rate the same,and yet still the £ is weakening.
NZ is an exporting economy, so businesses must want the $ to weaken as a prolonged high $ is going to hurt.
Anyone got any ideas
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:25 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnews...section=latest

don't understand all this really...... but weak US$$ seems to have been the biggest influence over the last year or so.

I could have this around the wrong way, but I have feeling that if they cut interest rates, then that weakens the NZ dollar, which is good for exporters. but then that fuels housing boom & debt, and fears of a crash means they want interest rates to remain steady or go up, which is bad for exporters... (who probably can't afford their nice new expensive houses and then go bust!)

Dunno - that analysis could be completely wrong - but if I have it right - it's a bit of a catch 22.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:45 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the $ weakens against the £ before we go, we will have to leave our money in the hands of a foriegn exchange company otherwise and they can trasfer the bulk of our money when the exchange rate is better