Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's The Melbourne Train Service like?

What's The Melbourne Train Service like?

Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:48 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's The Melbourne Train Service like?

We are looking at areas down to, but not further than Berwick. It is likely that OH will work in the CBD and will commute by train.

Can anyone enlighten us as to the reliability of the train service? We've ben through the timetables, but that only gives one side of the story doesn't it.

Tonight for example, good old Scotrail cancelled OH's train 10 minutes after it was due to leave. No alternatives, no apology, nothing!

Is it just as bad in Melbourne?

Fair enough if it is, at least we'll be used to it, just want to know what we're letting ourselves in for. If the trains are highly unreliable, then we might consider moving to a suburb a little closer and having alternatives available such as bus, tram or car.

cheers peeps
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:52 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's The Melbourne Train Service like?

Originally Posted by herrchook
We are looking at areas down to, but not further than Berwick. It is likely that OH will work in the CBD and will commute by train.

Can anyone enlighten us as to the reliability of the train service? We've ben through the timetables, but that only gives one side of the story doesn't it.

Tonight for example, good old Scotrail cancelled OH's train 10 minutes after it was due to leave. No alternatives, no apology, nothing!

Fair enough if it is, at least we'll be used to it, just want to know what we're letting ourselves in for. If the trains are highly unreliable, then we might consider moving to a suburb a little closer and having alternatives available such as bus, tram or car.

cheers peeps

The alarm bells went off when I saw Connex were involved.

But in actual fact I have not yet had a cancelled or delayed train from or to the CBD. Cannot comment on commutes from the outter suburbs but my station is about 7 or 8 km out and it takes between 20 and 30 mins to get in.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:55 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
The alarm bells went off when I saw Connex were involved.

But in actual fact I have not yet had a cancelled or delayed train from or to the CBD. Cannot comment on commutes from the outter suburbs but my station is about 7 or 8 km out and it takes between 20 and 30 mins to get in.
Wow, that's pretty impressive. Cheers

Anyone else?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 9:55 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on the same line as the Bears and have had lots of cancellation or delays (the Frankston line). I don't use the train all the time but it seems that when I do go into the City, usually to meet hubbie after work, the trains are quite often late or cancelled often without any explanation. One evening I had been on a girls night out and the train took 2 hours for a 30 minute journey - the air was blue!!!!

When we first arrived here hubbie used the trains every day. He said the am ones were fine as there were so many going into the City but the evening service was not so good and again often delays and canellations.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

On the Berwick line (Paky) I have had one train cancelled in 9 months.

All trains on time, or late by 1 or 2 minutes.

He will get a seat.

3 trains a hour from the city on the way back.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:37 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We live in Pakenham which is about 12kms outside of Berwick and my hubby works in the city. He does drive to work however because he's a shift worker and train times don't fit in with his shift too well. However we've used the train a lot since being here and they seem to run on time and don't get cancelled very often. If he's getting on at this end of the line he'll get a seat no problem as it fills up getting nearer to the city. Another titbit if you all want a day out in the city on a Sunday you can get a Sunday Saver ticket for $2.50 each and that will enable you to use trams etc as well.

Lorraine
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

cheers peeps
Can't believe you've not been to Melbourne :scared: . Is so different to how I'd imagined and would have had loads of doubts about going to live there if I'd not seen for myself.
But this said train service is very good, the views from the trains can be awful, terrible graffiti problem in Melbourne!!! But trains seemed to be on time and lots of them.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are worried about delays etc live on the Werribee line Apparently it is the safest and lalso has the least delays I believe my source was an Age article a few months ago, did anyone else read it?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 1:30 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Also, depending on where you live, you may have the choice of several lines (we have 3 choices:Frankston, Pakenham & Cranbourne) and express trains into the city. We're lucky as we have the choice of tram or train. I much prefer the latter. The nearer into town, the dearer rent is. So you'll have to weigh up what you want ie. nice big house in outer suburb, good transport links, inner suburb living if you like Victorian & Edwardian houses, etc. Good luck!

Mrs Bear
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Also, depending on where you live, you may have the choice of several lines (we have 3 choices:Frankston, Pakenham & Cranbourne) and express trains into the city. We're lucky as we have the choice of tram or train. I much prefer the latter. The nearer into town, the dearer rent is. So you'll have to weigh up what you want ie. nice big house in outer suburb, good transport links, inner suburb living if you like Victorian & Edwardian houses, etc. Good luck!

Mrs Bear
All the good sorts and pretty girls all get off in your neck of the woods leaving me to the ferals and Kath and Kim girls going to Fountain Gate.

The Berwick crowd are OK though.

Important: in rush hour, if you get on the train on the loop or at any station immediately after it will be packed until the likes of Mrs Bears and her pretty girls get off in the inner burbs.

Get on at Flinders if you can and get a seat. I get off at S Yarra inbound - on at Flinders outbound.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 27th 2006 at 2:29 am.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:04 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Can't believe you've not been to Melbourne :scared: . Is so different to how I'd imagined and would have had loads of doubts about going to live there if I'd not seen for myself.
But this said train service is very good, the views from the trains can be awful, terrible graffiti problem in Melbourne!!! But trains seemed to be on time and lots of them.
I HAVE been to Melbourne - twice actually Where did that come from?

I have used the trains in Melbourne, however, not regularly, and not during peak times. Thought I'd get a better picture of the rail service for commuters by asking those who use it all the time.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:06 am
Sunny Sydney

Thanks guys, you'v given us some great information there

Beers on us once we're settled
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:22 am
Melbourne Australia

Thanks guys, you'v given us some great information there

Beers on us once we're settled
http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/local_area/index.php

Hi Again

Thought this link might be of some assistance to you if you have not already found it.

If you dont have a carpark in the CBD you can get an early bird (arrive before 9.30 - and usually have to park on or above certain level of floors ie 5th) cost is $10 per day.

Mr Bear.