Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the maximum amount of declared cash i can take

whats the maximum amount of declared cash i can take

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all
Default whats the maximum amount of declared cash i can take

we originally had £10,000 to take with us so we can get started in a rental ect, we have just sold both of our vehicals at the last minute and have another £10,000, can we take that with us either in sterling or dollars as we would like to take it so we can purchase a car in the first week,it would be declared obviously as i know you can take up to $10,000 and any-thing over you have to fill out a blue form and declare it but i was wondering if there was a maximum.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the maximum amount of declared cash i can take

Originally Posted by sarahlou
we originally had £10,000 to take with us so we can get started in a rental ect, we have just sold both of our vehicals at the last minute and have another £10,000, can we take that with us either in sterling or dollars as we would like to take it so we can purchase a car in the first week,it would be declared obviously as i know you can take up to $10,000 and any-thing over you have to fill out a blue form and declare it but i was wondering if there was a maximum.
No, I don't think there is a maximum. So long as you declare it then you should be OK, although if you are bringing in around $46k I would expect customs to want to know why you are bringing so much money with you.

Would it not be safer and easier to use ozforex or similar and open an account here? You can open an account from the UK, transfer your cash to ozforex and have it sat here waiting for you when you arrive. You would then only need to visit the bank to identify yourself and you can withdraw it then.