Reload this Page >

What's the least you'd take?

What's the least you'd take?

Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

deftymarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's the least you'd take?

Hi,

Just wondering what's the least you'd take to last you 2 - 3 months in Australia?

This would be for a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 children aged 4 and 9)
All furniture would be taken over so wouldn't have to buy that. Just need rent (aprox $300 per week max til we get settled), buy a cheap runaround car, bills (electric, water etc) and food.

Any advice would be a huge help.

Thanks
Marie
Old Mar 12th 2004, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Marie,
That is a question i would like to get an answer for also.If you look at the poll on this site you will see that the majority have enough to tide them over for 1-2 yrs!!!!!!!
Or:
They have enough money to buy outright in oz and therefore have zip mortgage!!!!!
I wish.
Then again everyones circumstances are different.I think if you go wanting the same 4 bed house with 3 bathrooms that you have here-then you have to earn a hell of a lot of money the other side to keep up that lifestyle.But if you've lived in the same house all your grown up life and have now made a killing on it-your laughing-and good luck to those who have.
Our circumstance is big house,big mortgage,big credit cards-so as a teacher i would have to be doing a headteachers job to move to the same in oz.
I suppos it depends on the reasons for going and the amount of chances you are up for taking!!
WE are 2adults and 2kids.
Deb
Old Mar 14th 2004, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Thought I'd send this back to the top. I too would like to get a rough idea of how much for a family of four you would need to take out. We'd love to move right now but have some bills to pay here. Won't really make a killing on the house so we're saving like mad.

Anyone got a suggestions?

Thanks

Ginny
Old Mar 15th 2004, 12:47 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ginny
Hi there,

Thought I'd send this back to the top. I too would like to get a rough idea of how much for a family of four you would need to take out. We'd love to move right now but have some bills to pay here. Won't really make a killing on the house so we're saving like mad.

Anyone got a suggestions?

Thanks

Ginny
You need to tell us where your going and whether you have any suburb preferences. The costs vary dramatically and even with that info it is still very hard to answer

1) Will you be buying a car -- Whats your budget
2) What sort of things do you like doing as a family (i.e. horse riding etc etc.

If you give a bit of detail it will make it easier to answer the question.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 1:05 am
Badge

Default Re: What's the least you'd take?

270-300 per week gets you a fairly substantial family home in the outer SE suburbs eg. 1 hour a way. Can't speak for any other locations.

If you are prepared to live on a fairly bland estate you can pay less, and/or get something larger for your money.

Badge

Old Mar 15th 2004, 1:18 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: What's the least you'd take?

Originally posted by deftymarie
Hi,

Just wondering what's the least you'd take to last you 2 - 3 months in Australia?

This would be for a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 children aged 4 and 9)
All furniture would be taken over so wouldn't have to buy that. Just need rent (aprox $300 per week max til we get settled), buy a cheap runaround car, bills (electric, water etc) and food.

Any advice would be a huge help.

Thanks
Marie
Very difficult, I could say $2,000-$3,000 per month, plus accomodation costs. And you would need more for a car and any other initial expenses.

Old Mar 15th 2004, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest about £1500 - £2000 a month which should be plenty for all your needs, sounds a lot but we got through that much and there is only two of us. Hidden costs like stamp duty, bonds etc. bump up the costs.

Whatever you spend in UK per month in £s is what you will probably pay here in $s so if you spend £1000 at home per week budget for at least $1000 here.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by karawara88
I would suggest about £1500 - £2000 a month which should be plenty for all your needs, sounds a lot but we got through that much and there is only two of us. Hidden costs like stamp duty, bonds etc. bump up the costs.

Whatever you spend in UK per month in £s is what you will probably pay here in $s so if you spend £1000 at home per week budget for at least $1000 here.

In dollars, we spend $743 not that I counted, on food, bills, cars, priv health, elec, pool, petrol, blah blah blah. Four or five of us usually, however that does not include a mortage/rent. For a family even very basic say

Rent $300
Food $200
Petrol$ 50
Leccy $ 20
Car rego ins etc $20

Thats almost $600 before you go out the door, I think you need to allow for kids costs like schooling and doctors etc too. I would allow at least $800 a week for the sake of reality. I mean 200 bucks a week to cover everything else is not much at all.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:19 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

We kept all our bills at first in NZ and totted up weekly expenses - we're 2 + 2 as well. Running costs worked out at about NZD1000 a week without being extravagent or eating out, so that's about AUD900 a week.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 5:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
In dollars, we spend $743 not that I counted, on food, bills, cars, priv health, elec, pool, petrol, blah blah blah. Four or five of us usually, however that does not include a mortage/rent. For a family even very basic say

Rent $300
Food $200
Petrol$ 50
Leccy $ 20
Car rego ins etc $20

Thats almost $600 before you go out the door, I think you need to allow for kids costs like schooling and doctors etc too. I would allow at least $800 a week for the sake of reality. I mean 200 bucks a week to cover everything else is not much at all.
Plus another 4 x $rent for bond, so a min of $1000 (you get it back, but its still money thats "gone" as far as the budget goes) plus phone say ~ $25/week. Set-up costs for the kids in school (uniforms/books etc or was that what you meant about the schooling dotty?)
Old Mar 15th 2004, 5:48 am
Just Joined

deftymarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your replies they are a big help.

We are considering Perth or Melbourne (not the city centre, a suburb within 30 mins drive)

To get the girls settled in (aged 4 and 9) I will try to get them involved in a new hobby. As they are both very sporty they would love to go horseriding so we'd need money for that each week.

Looks like we'll have to overbudget to be on the safe side.

Thanks again for your help!
Marie

Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HUP
You need to tell us where your going and whether you have any suburb preferences. The costs vary dramatically and even with that info it is still very hard to answer

1) Will you be buying a car -- Whats your budget
2) What sort of things do you like doing as a family (i.e. horse riding etc etc.

If you give a bit of detail it will make it easier to answer the question.

Hi,

We'd hopefully end up in or around Brisbane. Not too fussy on subs. Got 2 school agae kids and would like to get them into swimming etc out there. We'd definately need a car but again not too fussed as long as it goes. Both nurses but I'm hoping to get into lecturing or something similar. Will probably need after school clubs if they have them out there.
I see some of the other posts have given rough estimates.

Thanks

Ginny