Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the least amount youve gone with?

whats the least amount youve gone with?

Old Sep 5th 2005, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default whats the least amount youve gone with?

weve all heard about how much people hope to take with their house sales etc, but whats the least amount a family have taken and managed on?
Is it do-able to take £3000, this being the amount left over after bond, rent, car hire etc all paid and then start your new job fairly quickly. Has anyone done it on this amount and lived to tell the tale?

Trish
xx
Old Sep 5th 2005, 8:31 pm
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the least amount youve gone with?

Originally Posted by jimtrish
weve all heard about how much people hope to take with their house sales etc, but whats the least amount a family have taken and managed on?
Is it do-able to take £3000, this being the amount left over after bond, rent, car hire etc all paid and then start your new job fairly quickly. Has anyone done it on this amount and lived to tell the tale?

Trish
xx
Hi Trish,
Have you seen the life downunder or place in the sun with that family from Blackpool...... she went out there with about that much and she is still there.
Be positive and work fairly quickly, that way I reckon you will be ok.
Good Luck
Jane
Old Sep 5th 2005, 8:41 pm
"Goodbye Circus!"

fairgoes has a spectacular aura aboutfairgoes has a spectacular aura aboutfairgoes has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: whats the least amount youve gone with?

Hi There

Firstly HUGE congrats on getting your visa! I suppose it all depends on how many there are of you in your family,and whether or not you will be renting furnished or sending your things over, or needing to buy household things. If you are starting work straight away, it should be ok. I believe with determination and clear thinking it can be done. But then again we haven't got there yet. We will also only have a small amount to take with us. So it has to be enough!

I see you are a RSMS visa. We are too and have been waiting since 17 June 05! So we are getting pretty desperate now. We are waiting for our meds to be approved. Then the CO is ready to sign it off. But our meds are where we feel we could have a problem. So keepings fingers and toes crossed.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Fairgoes
Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: whats the least amount youve gone with?

Hi petal,
one of my sisters went out there with a grand and she has everything now and is still only in her 40s so it can be done.
you can make it anywhere if you want
hugs Lace x
Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:19 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by lacey21
Hi petal,
one of my sisters went out there with a grand and she has everything now and is still only in her 40s so it can be done.
you can make it anywhere if you want
hugs Lace x
Too true Lacey.

I bet hundreds of migrants move with very little, it's just we don't get to hear about it.

One thing that makes me wonder is that those who will be 'mortgage free' and have a good or reasonable disposable income, would it be easier for them to return because they have the financial means to do so?

Does that mean those with little or no money, have nothing to go back to or with, have to work their nuts off to get a job and to survive at least for the first couple of years, does that mean they will work harder to make their new life work?

In my opinion, I think that whilst a nice amount of money can make the transition easier, no amount of money can cure homesickness, culture shock and adaptation into a new way of life.

I would say that it's not the amount of money you take with you, it's your attitude, ability to work hard plus an open mind that will take you far in life.

And no amount of money can buy a steely determination to succeed either.

Because that, is priceless.

Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Give that girl a biscuit!

I agree with every word.

We are taking over about £80,000 I think and we wont be able to come back here if it goes tits up and buy another house no sireeeeee. I'll tell you the house prices have rocketed here.

You have to go with the mind that it is going to work and if it doesn't then 'oh well!'. there isn't a damn thing you can do except come back and get a council house.

Or live in Oz on a beach! Buy a small condo on the beach. I don't kknowwhy more people don't do that. I would give anything to wake up in a beach hut. Just the basics, that will do!

Yeah your right as ever PP gotta go with the flow in mind

hugs Lace xxxxx
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairgoes
Hi There

Firstly HUGE congrats on getting your visa! I suppose it all depends on how many there are of you in your family,and whether or not you will be renting furnished or sending your things over, or needing to buy household things. If you are starting work straight away, it should be ok. I believe with determination and clear thinking it can be done. But then again we haven't got there yet. We will also only have a small amount to take with us. So it has to be enough!

I see you are a RSMS visa. We are too and have been waiting since 17 June 05! So we are getting pretty desperate now. We are waiting for our meds to be approved. Then the CO is ready to sign it off. But our meds are where we feel we could have a problem. So keepings fingers and toes crossed.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Fairgoes
goodluck with your visa, wont be long now hey.
ours was quick but prob could have been quicker if the panel doc hadnt forgotton to sign my sons medical, so it held us up by about 2wks.
hope you get things sorted with your meds, where are you heading and when do you hope to go?
we are shipping out the minimum, no house to sell,but i think everyone is right, the less you have, you work harder to make your life out there as you cant go back so easily.
goodluck to you and hope we see your got it soon!

Trish
xx
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Trish,
I love the name Townsville makes me think of the Power Puff Girls lol lol.
Love it.
I am going to Redcliffe or Perth not sure yet, probs Redcliffe.

Thanks for the support (if it was meant for me) cheers
I put it in soon
lace x
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:05 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Trish
xx
After paying our flights, first two months rent and everything else, we were left with about $12k (about 4,500 GBP). After 6 weeks here we've managed to buy the essentials for the house, while waiting for our stuff to arrive. We both start(ed) work this week and still have money in the bank. So I would say you'll need to be very tight but it can be done.

When we left the UK, we left some money behind for paying a couple of ongoing bills so we knew we could tap into this if we needed to, or even the UK Mastercard if we were desperate. We haven't had to do this though.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Trish
xx

hiya trish,

just got back from cornwall at the weekend to see you've got your visa

*******CONGRATULATIONS**************

are you feeling :scared: yet?!!!!!

well done, it dosen't seem two minutes since you were doing your conversion and i can't believe you're off next month! you lucky people.

course you can get by......you can work on the agency the day after you land1

well done again

chat soon

debs x
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by debbiemc
hiya trish,

just got back from cornwall at the weekend to see you've got your visa

*******CONGRATULATIONS**************

are you feeling :scared: yet?!!!!!

well done, it dosen't seem two minutes since you were doing your conversion and i can't believe you're off next month! you lucky people.

course you can get by......you can work on the agency the day after you land1

well done again

chat soon

debs x
hi debs,

good to hear from you, wont be working on the agency as ive got a job to go to.
seriously sh**ting ourselves now! :scared:
hope you had fun in cornwall, love it there.
chat soon mate

Trish
xx
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lacey21
Hi Trish,
I love the name Townsville makes me think of the Power Puff Girls lol lol.
Love it.
I am going to Redcliffe or Perth not sure yet, probs Redcliffe.

Thanks for the support (if it was meant for me) cheers
I put it in soon
lace x
everyone says that about townsville, but sadly no little powerpuffs
when are you hoping to go? goodluck with everything lace, keep in touch.

Trish
xx
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

lightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nice

We hoped to take about £70,000 after house sale, but due to other commitments and the property value not being as good as it was we will end up with about £50,000. In saying that I would still give it a go with much less money. I might be wrong But if you want it to work and go at it 100%, sure you will struggle at first but as with all good things it will come.
On a positive note a friend of ours moved to Sydney 12 years ago with his girl friend they had £800 on arrival. they both got work doing anything they could and now are living a very nice life.
We are probably going to Sydney, giving up quite a nice life here, knowing that we wont be able to buy a property as good as the one we own now.
politics, life style, opportunity and the dream of a better life for us and our children draw us there.
sometimes I think that it could be other forces that take you back to your country of origin, rather than money.
go for it live yer dream.
We don't wanna be 60-70 years old trying to answer that dreaded question (what If)?
some famous bod said "better to try and fail than never to have tried"
How true.

All the very best

Cockney Rob..................
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:49 am
"Goodbye Circus!"

fairgoes has a spectacular aura aboutfairgoes has a spectacular aura aboutfairgoes has a spectacular aura about

goodluck with your visa, wont be long now hey.
ours was quick but prob could have been quicker if the panel doc hadnt forgotton to sign my sons medical, so it held us up by about 2wks.
hope you get things sorted with your meds, where are you heading and when do you hope to go?
we are shipping out the minimum, no house to sell,but i think everyone is right, the less you have, you work harder to make your life out there as you cant go back so easily.
goodluck to you and hope we see your got it soon!

Trish
xx
Hi Trish

Thanks, I hope to post the elusive GOT IT soon too!

We're heading to Toowoomba, QLD, hubby's got a job to go straight to, hopefully the employer won't give up waiting, it's all taken SO long. Basically as soon as the visa is granted we hope to leave about a month later. Don't own a home so that helps, and will only be taking a few small boxes. We've done this moving continents before, so know it can be done quickly if you're organised. We arrived here in the UK 3 years ago with just our suitcases, and now we have a whole houseful to sort out!

Cheers for now and good luck
Fairgoes
Old Sep 6th 2005, 10:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Trish
xx
3k is what you've got. So you'll have to make it work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.