Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's the law in Oz for child seats?

What's the law in Oz for child seats?

Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:02 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the law in Oz for child seats?

Gosh......there's more to car seats for kids than meets the eye...LOL
Think it's best to sell ours before we leave the UK and hire one for our 3 year old, then hopefully buy one asap.
I'm not too happy about her just needing a booster seat in Oz though......I like her to be securely strapped in
Beth x x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Think it's best to sell ours before we leave the UK and hire one for our 3 year old, then hopefully buy one asap.
I'm not too happy about her just needing a booster seat in Oz though......I like her to be securely strapped in
Beth x x
I know what you mean - our daughter has a booster with a high back over here - and the hire companies in Perth and Tassie gave us one of those booster seats that are literally just the base... they said that was all they did for her age group. Oh well....
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:07 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug
I know what you mean - our daughter has a booster with a high back over here - and the hire companies in Perth and Tassie gave us one of those booster seats that are literally just the base... they said that was all they did for her age group. Oh well....
Bit crap considering there's a young child involved
Think the car seat I have now is much safer
Oh well......I can see me arguing with an ozzy copper over this at some point in the future....LOL
Beth x x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Katya_Mark has a spectacular aura aboutKatya_Mark has a spectacular aura aboutKatya_Mark has a spectacular aura about

I came across this thread http://www.birth.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=14869 about maxi cosi infant seats which I found really interesting, so I thought I would share

Katya
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

We also paid big bucks for our car seats. Oh well......we will have to hire a car seat for a while
Beth x x
I took my booster seat with me wrapped in a bin bag. Crazy I know but they weigh nothing and we had them then for my 9 year old.

Take the booster on the plane.

Cheryl
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:28 pm
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
I took my booster seat with me wrapped in a bin bag. Crazy I know but they weigh nothing and we had them then for my 9 year old.

Take the booster on the plane.

Cheryl
Yeah good idea thanks
We will look like tramps in the airport with loads of binbags, suitcases, 4 kids and jetlag....LOL
Beth x x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Yeah good idea thanks
We will look like tramps in the airport with loads of binbags, suitcases, 4 kids and jetlag....LOL
Beth x x
When do you fly and where are you off too Beth?

Cheryl

We fly on 15th April
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:56 pm
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
When do you fly and where are you off too Beth?

Cheryl

We fly on 15th April
Heading to Cairns, North Queensland on April 28th
Beth x x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Beth x x
Sorry Beth, but I'm pretty sure it is illegal for anyone to sell a USED car seat in the UK.

Maybe someone else could confirm this.

My 8 year is a tall thing and is now over 135cm so doesn't need a car seat anymore in the UK. Is this the same in Oz?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:34 am
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Sorry Beth, but I'm pretty sure it is illegal for anyone to sell a USED car seat in the UK.

My 8 year is a tall thing and is now over 135cm so doesn't need a car seat anymore in the UK. Is this the same in Oz?
There's always car seats for sale in the free ads!!!!
Looks like your 8 year old doesn't need a booster seat in Oz......bit of a weird law regarding child safety in the car in Oz
Beth x x
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

There's always car seats for sale in the free ads!!!!
Looks like your 8 year old doesn't need a booster seat in Oz......bit of a weird law regarding child safety in the car in Oz
Beth x x
Thanks Beth, I can't find anything that actually states what the law is?? We were in NSW and Adelaide last year and were told by the hire car people that DD then 7 didn't need a car seat. I suppose we should have looked into it but we assumed the hire companies would be a good source of ino.

Maybe the selling of car seats is advisory because if you use a second hand car seat that has been in an accident it could be damaged. I know I would always buy new for peace of mind.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:57 am
Make it happen!!!!

Thanks Beth, I can't find anything that actually states what the law is?? We were in NSW and Adelaide last year and were told by the hire car people that DD then 7 didn't need a car seat. I suppose we should have looked into it but we assumed the hire companies would be a good source of ino.

Maybe the selling of car seats is advisory because if you use a second hand car seat that has been in an accident it could be damaged. I know I would always buy new for peace of mind.
Well I'm going to sell my car seats......even if I get a tenner for the 3 of them. I know they are in ex cond......and will take the covers off to prove it to anyone who may want to buy them
Beth x x
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

No. Its not illegal to sell a used car seat.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:17 am
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by warponydestroyer
No. Its not illegal to sell a used car seat.
YAY!!!!
I'm right again Nic....LOL
Beth x x
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Heading to Cairns, North Queensland on April 28th
Beth x x
Beth going off subject but I would like to wish you and your family all the best for your new life. We are about to jump so I think I know what you are going through and I would like to say, well done, be brave and even if its not what you hoped well done for taking on the life experience.

These words I hope will provide support, something I have not had at all.
My husband has just left the British Forces (thank goodness as life was becoming too dangerous and stressful). We have lived a secure and finacially protected life in the forces and its been good to us. Leaving a secure job and a guaranteed roof over our heads is so so scarey. Our hopes and dreams that we will make it in Oz for our kids sake are our hope.

Beth be strong and enjoy your adventure and never count the cost as when this life comes to an end no one prints a bank statement and places it on your headstone and says "she had a good life look how well she did".

All the best for the future,

Cheryl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.