British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What's Joondalup like? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whats-joondalup-like-108609/)

Phil Outram May 29th 2002 9:23 am

What's Joondalup like?

I'm in the early stages of emigrating to Perth, having just posted documents for skills assessment to ANCI (nursing).
We've been looking at Joondalup to the north of Perth, and like what we've seen so far: location, house prices etc. We've set ourselves a timescale of 2 years this August to move out with our kids: they'll be aged 10 and nearly 2 years old (yes, a second kid is on the way!).
Does anyone have more info or a personal view of the suburb. With a primary school aged child and a toddler, what's it like for education etc?
Any help and/or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Phil.

jamie May 29th 2002 1:19 pm

Re: What's Joondalup like?

Hi there

I was born in Perth (now living in London) and spent most of my years close to Joondalup (where I went to Uni), I can honestly say that it is a great place.

The proximity to the beach is one thing, as well as the train line which goes directly into the city centre. There are plenty of shops, both in the main shopping centre and in the retail park nearby.

There are a few schools in the area (both primary & secondary as well as TAFE & UNI), and most of the schools around there are of a high quality. You are better off in Joondalup than any further north (Clarkson, Merriwa), as Joondalup is just a lot nicer. Houses, etc.

You will also be happy to hear that there is an English Pub ("The Old Bailey" - shocking name) nearby showing all the football.

If you want to live closer to the beach, try Ocean Reef & surrounding areas. Bit more expensive though.

Good luck!

Axel Van Kampen Jun 1st 2002 12:20 am

Just a tip;

Wouldn't it be better to wait and see if you are accepted before you begin looking at
where to live?

"Phil Outram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I'm in the early stages of emigrating to Perth, having just posted documents for
    > skills assessment to ANCI (nursing). We've been looking at Joondalup to the north
    > of Perth, and like what we've seen so far: location, house prices etc. We've set
    > ourselves a timescale of 2 years this August to move out with our kids: they'll be
    > aged 10 and nearly 2 years old (yes, a second kid is on the way!). Does anyone have
    > more info or a personal view of the suburb. With a primary school aged child and a
    > toddler, what's it like for education etc? Any help and/or advice would be
    > appreciated. Thanks. Phil.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Dinesh
    >
    >
    > Doug.
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

yvsie Jun 1st 2002 10:44 am

hi axel, im sorry but i dont agree...
i too have just sent off my nursing skills assessment to ANCI and am hoping to move next year with my family.
i am busy trying to get as much info as possible together about all areas around perth...just to get things straight in my head!!
i feel optomistic about my visa application due to uk nursing qualification.
so yes , you may say its a bit premature but i still will continue to find out info.
i was going to migrate 7yrs ago and chickened out...a lot of it had to do with not being able to find out enough info...now with the internet it is much easier...and im completeyly addicted to this computer........sad really.....
i am also really grateful for the help i have received from the participants on this ng especially when we first began the process....
phil...i hadnt thought of jondaloop..so it is interesting to hear from jamie about the area.
i have a son who will be hopefully doing a degree when we get there...he has been looking at edith cowan uni...the campus is at mt lawley...so jondaloop may be an option now????...who knows

sophia Jun 1st 2002 11:56 am

I don't agree with you either Axel, I'm afraid.

The fact you may or may not get the visa is neither here nor there. You CANNOT possibly begin to make such a life changing decision such as moving to the other side of the planet without doing research on the place first!! It would be complete and utter MADNESS...have you been sitting out in the sun for too long??

It seems ridiculous to me that you would not even consider where you might like to live until you've got your visa...because believe me, when that visa DOES arrive, you have far more important things to do (like the logistics of moving to the other side of the planet) without only just starting to think about where you're gonna live!

That's all I've got to say about that (well, actually, no it's not, but I'm going to stop there!!).

love sophia x

Phil Outram Jun 1st 2002 12:03 pm

Jamie...... thanks for replying.
I agree with the name of the pub. At least it's not called "Ye Olde Bailey Tavern". Bet it serves Ploughman's Lunches and warm beer, just as us Poms like it (apparently). It's definately the location of Joondalup that first got us interested. It's good to hear your views on the education side, having first-hand experience. Having Edith Cowns Uni. neaby is a bonus too. Having young children does make you look further ahead, that's for sure! Thanks again.

Yvonne..... my wife's also a nurse, and we sent our documents off to ANCI last week. We spent some time in Perth back in '89, fell in love with the place, and have been dreaming of going back ever since. So 7 years isn't too bad really. It's taken a while to pluck up the courage and I agree that having the internet now has made things a whole lot easier. That's how we've come to look at, and like, Joondalup. Let me know how you get on with ANCI etc. We're looking at moving out in about 2 years. The new baby has puts things on hold a bit. . Might even meet up with you in Joondalup! Who knows? Good luck.

Axel.......thanks for your comments. Normally I would agree with you in that I may be tempting fate by looking at suburbs, schools and houses etc. before being accepted. But you've got to be positive. I am confident that my application for permanent residency will be accepted despite the points "pass" mark being recently raised to 115, as nurses are very much in demand and their applications are now going to be fast tracked to meet this skills shortage. So, planning ahead just has to done. Getting accepted, and then making plans is not the way to do it. But still, fingers crossed anyway! Thanks again.

Sophia..... Thanks. My point exactly!

Axel Van Kampen Jun 2nd 2002 7:20 am

Re: To all who don't agree - What's Joondalup like?

I am a migrant to Australia myself (been here for 19 years) and I did just what you
suggested; research by reading, etc. But what I did find was that until I put my foot
on the ground, I knew absolutely nothing at all!!! All the web research in the world
are nothing but other peoples opinions which may or may not line up with yours. Hell,
I work with people today and I can call friends who have the same taste in food,
music, movies, etc, etc so perhaps I should value their opinions but I think they are
absolutely nuts when I see where they like to live. All because they have different
expectations from myself. I'm going to New York to live in two months time myself and
I realise that it is a waste of time to try and decide where I wnat to live until I
have spent at least three months in the city. Trust me on this one, people; your own
experience is the only one worth relying on.

"Phil Outram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I'm in the early stages of emigrating to Perth, having just posted documents for
    > skills assessment to ANCI (nursing). We've been looking at Joondalup to the north
    > of Perth, and like what we've seen so far: location, house prices etc. We've set
    > ourselves a timescale of 2 years this August to move out with our kids: they'll be
    > aged 10 and nearly 2 years old (yes, a second kid is on the way!). Does anyone have
    > more info or a personal view of the suburb. With a primary school aged child and a
    > toddler, what's it like for education etc? Any help and/or advice would be
    > appreciated. Thanks. Phil.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Dinesh
    >
    >
    > Doug.
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

yvsie Jun 2nd 2002 10:48 am

axel....point taken.....one will never know what its like until we get there and yes what one person likes another doesnt......so I agree with you there!

PHIL...I found this website from the yahoo search engine...try it....

http://living.joondalup.wa.gov.au/

all sorts of useful inof....if it doesnt work...i just typed australia in address bar...then followed links to WA...cities....and so on

hope this helps

brummie bird Oct 7th 2003 9:29 am

hi phil,
I carn't answer your question about living in joondlup as i don't, but myself and family are hoping to go out to live next year i to am a nurse in mental health. However, my point is that i went out to perth on a fact finding mission in May this year, i looked around at a fair few places. We have to teenage kids and with them in mind i was looking for somewhere that i felt they would be happy, Joondlup certainly seems to have many of the vital ingredeints that kids want, beach sports center skatboarding, dancing cinama train to the city ect ect.....
I was also impressed with housing, schools, road structure.
I feel very setteled on choosing this area and it also helps when looking for employment, hope this helps.

renth Oct 8th 2003 12:44 am

Originally posted by jamie
You will also be happy to hear that there is an English Pub ("The Old Bailey" - shocking name) nearby showing all the football.
Good luck!
The Old Bailey, made famous on this forum as the local of the much missed Pommie Bastard.

I live in Ocean Reef, which is in the City of Joondalup and I can thoroughly recommend Joondalup and the suburbs that go to make it up.

It's easy to get to the city on the train, clean, near the sea, fantastic library. There is a lovely park behind the library where you can hand feed the 'roos and parrots where we sometimes go for a breakfast barbie.

There is a hospital there too, where I'm sure you will find a job. It's not got a great rep though...

Good luck with your application.