Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats heidelberg north melbourne like

whats heidelberg north melbourne like

Old Feb 4th 2010, 4:35 am
Just Joined

garyfish1968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default whats heidelberg north melbourne like

very simple question. have been offered a job in heidelberg north melbourne and would like to know peoples opinion of the area. i'm not a city lover so suburbs and rural is what i'm looking for.
any information would be very much appreciated.
many thanks
Old Feb 4th 2010, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats heidelberg north melbourne like

We think it's really nice. Close enough to get to the city easily, or a short drive and you're out in the countryside. Zone 1 train station, Austin hospital, cafes, parks, yarra trail etc. Where will your work be based? We've been in the area for a few years now and it suits us. Easy commute to the airport, easy to get either east or west of the city, scholastic book sale!!

Anything in particular you would like to know about just ask.

Pootle
Old Feb 4th 2010, 6:51 am
Just Joined

i have been offered a job with the royal victorian district nurse service. I have an 8 year old son who just cant wait to get out there. We are travelling to melbourne in easter for a week to have a look around and have already doen some research into the housing rental situation and i must say the houses look fabulous on paper(computer screen).
Are there any good schools in the area?
also my husband and son do alot of fishing in england and they would like to know if there is much around that area (freshwater).
Is it a quiet area? we have a problem over here with youths hanging around street coners and causing trouble.
i have the chance to pick another area at Diamond Creek which looks very Rural to me. we dont want to be to far from the beaches.
Heidelberg does look very inviting to me though.
many thanks for your reply.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyfish1968
i have been offered a job with the royal victorian district nurse service. I have an 8 year old son who just cant wait to get out there. We are travelling to melbourne in easter for a week to have a look around and have already doen some research into the housing rental situation and i must say the houses look fabulous on paper(computer screen).
Are there any good schools in the area?
also my husband and son do alot of fishing in england and they would like to know if there is much around that area (freshwater).
Is it a quiet area? we have a problem over here with youths hanging around street coners and causing trouble.
i have the chance to pick another area at Diamond Creek which looks very Rural to me. we dont want to be to far from the beaches.
Heidelberg does look very inviting to me though.
many thanks for your reply.
People tend to go a bit of a distance for fishing.... your closest would probably be upstream Yarra or Goulburn.... The reason for going the distance is the fishing can be so good say 40ks to 50ks rather than down the local creek for Carp say.... Also most people will eat a fair proportion of what they catch, which is a totally different mindset to the UK.

Heidelberg could well suit you..... nice enough area, good points are it's well established and has plenty of amenities.

Remember distance from the City equates to more time being in your car.... in most cases.

Old Feb 4th 2010, 7:21 am
Just Joined

thanks ozzieeagle. that sounds good. I know my husband is a very keen carp angler here in england and he knows about the problems with them over in australia. i'm sure he will be very keen to try for some of the native species.
As for the travelling, its not a problem as we have to travel alot in our current jobs so spend a fair amount of time in a car.
Is there much work in the area for my husband, he doesn't have a trade but has worked as a manager and supervisory role in several different working environments also with a quality background.
many thanks for your resonse.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

very simple question. have been offered a job in heidelberg north melbourne and would like to know peoples opinion of the area. i'm not a city lover so suburbs and rural is what i'm looking for.
many thanks
Have sent you a PM!
Old Feb 4th 2010, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Ive got dozens of carp in my local creek and lake (circa 300 meters away).... real big ones as well, its very rare to see anyone fishing for them. In fact the only people you ever find fishing for them are kids and people that are very new to the country.

People will kind of laugh at you if you tell them you are going fishing for Carp.... so its a quantam leap of difference.

There are plenty around locally if your willing to cop the social stigma of fishing for them.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 4th 2010 at 7:39 am.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Hi ozzieeagle
I have just read your post and it did make me chuckle. i'm sure i will get over the social stigma if i do fish for the carp. Lol
What do you call real big, the ones that i fish for average 15kg up to 25kg which is really big over here.
Look forward to having a go at some of the native species.
Many thanks for the replies
Gary
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Bobbin is an unknown quantity at this point

many thanks
I work in Heidelberg (Austin Hospital) and live in the next suburb, Ivanhoe. Both have plenty of shops, restarants and are lovely suburbs. Always plenty of houses to rent and buy in the area.
Good luck with everything
Kathryn xxx
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:40 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

What do you call real big, the ones that i fish for average 15kg up to 25kg which is really big over here.
Gary
that sounds about the same size we use for bait
Old Feb 4th 2010, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

thanks geelong gent very funny!!!
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi ozzieeagle
I have just read your post and it did make me chuckle. i'm sure i will get over the social stigma if i do fish for the carp. Lol
Look forward to having a go at some of the native species.
Many thanks for the replies
Gary
To be truthful I never weigh the ones I catch.... but I've caught some over 1 meter long.... they hang out of each end of a clothes basket. I'll see if I can get some official weights for you. We are not supposed to put them back.... in fact its illegal apparently. However I always do...so Shhh....