Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats a good wage in Aus?

Whats a good wage in Aus?

Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:39 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats a good wage in Aus?

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue
My view on the whole wages subject is dire, here in AUs, unless you are prepared to work in the righte area where you can win win,

Brisbane has a mentality of paying shite wages and offering no benefits,

To answer the question I think a combined income of $120k a year should be a starting point to give an adequate standard of living.

Anymore you will enjoy aus, any less you are one of thos people who dont need money, have your mortagage paid etc etc etc
Hello Troll-boy, back again?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

dave66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in Sydney for 5 years on a salary of $85K gross. Net was $4,800 a month. Rent was $1600 a month. 2 very young kids to support and a wife and no we are not spendthrifts. Amount of money saved after 5 years = 0. I have been back in the the UK for the last 6 months, amount of money saved 6K pounds
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think we need a definition of the word "adequate"

$120k is more than double our income, and I thought we were doing OK, better than adequate anyway.....

OK, we do own our house outright, BUT, we also pay $140 per week to subsidise our investment properties, and we put our daughter into private school, and have overseas holidays. Those two combined would equal a house rent costs.

To me that is a bit more than adequate, (using my idea of the word)

But we are all different, and some need more than others, and I get the feeling I am just plain happy with what little I have.

If it was bad, I suppose I could go out to work again, but....... I don't need to, and my wife likes working anyway, so .. i'm happy

The funny thing is that I seem happier now, than when I was bringing in a big wage too.
ah, voice of reason, indeed.

unfortunately I am on the other end of the scale , looking for that opportunity of investment, opportunity of work etc etc, and to ensure my kids have the best I can possibly give, maintain a lifestyle of holidays, fast cars, and a good social life

That is generally why I derived at the figure, I now own a house with a mortgage ratio of 8:1 , own two shite cars,never go out, cant afford to go and see my family back in UK, apart from that I have jack shit but a house I can sit in as much as i want and a 60hour working week

but I get to go to the beach and have fun everyweekend, do lots of fishing, swim in my pool, and watch endless amounts of adverts on tv...

I love it.....and I love to moan and bitch and act like a girl

because I am the REAL SLIM WHINGING POMMIE
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:44 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

ah, voice of reason, indeed.

unfortunately I am on the other end of the scale , looking for that opportunity of investment, opportunity of work etc etc, and to ensure my kids have the best I can possibly give, maintain a lifestyle of holidays, fast cars, and a good social life

That is generally why I derived at the figure, I now own a house with a mortgage ratio of 8:1 , own two shite cars,never go out, cant afford to go and see my family back in UK, apart from that I have jack shit but a house I can sit in as much as i want and a 60hour working week

but I get to go to the beach and have fun everyweekend, do lots of fishing, swim in my pool, and watch endless amounts of adverts on tv...

I love it.....and I love to moan and bitch and act like a girl

because I am the REAL SLIM WHINGING POMMIE

What do you do for a living?

Paul.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:45 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by diddy

Paul.
village idiot?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Paul.
village idiot like that guy says,

integrity assessor of assetts
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:59 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what that means.

Assuming that you're not just trolling (btw why bother changing your name when you come on here), why take a mortgage at 8:1 and what idiot would give you one at that level?

Paul.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:00 am

gedge has disabled reputation

village idiot like that guy says,

that's assets with an extra 't'
how's that for integrity mr assessor?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

I have no idea what that means.

Assuming that you're not just trolling (btw why bother changing your name when you come on here), why take a mortgage at 8:1 and what idiot would give you one at that level?

Paul.
change name, i cant understand how that works, you may have to enlighten me, i am pc illiterate. trolling , i get accused of that all the time, maybe I look like one or something.

ok, maybe I exergerate, 6.4:1 then, its amazing who will lend you money

I am an insurance assessor, thats all,
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:13 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

change name, i cant understand how that works, you may have to enlighten me, i am pc illiterate. trolling , i get accused of that all the time, maybe I look like one or something.

ok, maybe I exergerate, 6.4:1 then, its amazing who will lend you money

I am an insurance assessor, thats all,
Good onya.

Paul.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:19 am
ABCDiamond

That is generally why I derived at the figure,
So that is your definition of "adequate" lifestyle then, "a lifestyle of holidays, fast cars, and a good social life " ?

Mine lifestyle is slightly less grand, but a bit better than "adequate".
I am happy with a normal life, hence not needing your $120k figure of income.

However, I am not knocking anyone who wants it, after all I have been there, i've done that, and became mortgage free in a very short time, due to it.

And to anyone who needs or wants to do the same, then Yes, you too will need a big salary.

But for those others, who are happy with a normal lifestyle, it can be done on a lot less.

For income figures, take account of the following:
From last years budget info it states that only 20% of taxpayers actually pay more than the 30% rate of tax, and the next higher rate currently kicks in at $63,000. Therefore 80% of taxpayers must be on less than $63,000

It also stated that from July 2006, when the top tax rate threshold is $125,000, that only 3% of taxpayers will be on that rate.

From that information it seems like 17% earn between $63,000 and $125,000, 3% over $125,000, and 80% under $63,000

Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

So that is your definition of "adequate" lifestyle then, "a lifestyle of holidays, fast cars, and a good social life " ?

Mine lifestyle is slightly less grand, but a bit better than "adequate".
I am happy with a normal life, hence not needing your $120k figure of income.

However, I am not knocking anyone who wants it, after all I have been there, i've done that, and became mortgage free in a very short time, due to it.

And to anyone who needs or wants to do the same, then Yes, you too will need a big salary.

But for those others, who are happy with a normal lifestyle, it can be done on a lot less.

For income figures, take account of the following:
From last years budget info it states that only 20% of taxpayers actually pay more than the 30% rate of tax, and the next higher rate currently kicks in at $63,000. Therefore 80% of taxpayers must be on less than $63,000

It also stated that from July 2006, when the top tax rate threshold is $125,000, that only 3% of taxpayers will be on that rate.

From that information it seems like 17% earn between $63,000 and $125,000, 3% over $125,000, and 80% under $63,000
Life with 2 kids....

Lets see Two Cars, would have to cost at least 5 to 6,000 Aud just to own them, running costs etc, you need at least 8,000 bucks income to pay for that.... 8,000 K (gross income before tax. )

Gas and Electricty, my Dual fuel comes to 275 bucks per month , bet I'm not on my own there, plus water at 180 bucks per quarter. Circa 3,500 just to fuel and water a house (5,000 K gross)....

Rates and Insurance (not including car) Crica 2,000 (2,800k Gross) opps and medical insurance @ 160 x 12 = 1720 (2,200 k Gross).....

Schooling, only 1500 aud for the two here, (2,000 gross)

Line of credit (min interest payment circa 400 presently per month, standing still at that rate) (About 6,000 gross..).

Food, and cleansers, and everyother supermarket item that comes into a household..... at least 270 per week plus booze about 40 pw = at least 1240 per month net... circa 1700 gross x 12 (20,400 per annum gross)

Clothing x 4 people, at least 4,000 per annum (6,500 gross)

Telephony and Foxtel 2 phone lines (includes one voip for international and home base mobile calls) one net connection and two mobiles circa 220 per month, or 320 gross x 12 (gross 3,700 per annum)

Spending money x 4 people (well not much for the kids) 70 per week or 280 per month minimum 400 gross (4,800 per annum)

According to my figures, with two kids one would need an income of at least 60,400 gross to live a very simple life. With a very limited mortgage.

No holidays, no Major outings. I know my figures are far from precise, but if one adds 10 pct to unforseen expenditure, and takes away the tax benefits, I bet I'm very close to the break even almost poverty line at that figure.

Anything less than 60,400 with two kids, and one would be struggling I reckon. whoops missed of the medical insurance in my final figure... 62,800.

Or life doesn't get good, until you hit 80,000 K and above. Earn 8,000 more than that and you lose your Child benefits, much to our chagrin.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 11th 2006 at 4:35 am.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Therefore 80% of taxpayers must be on less than $63,000

From that information it seems like 17% earn between $63,000 and $125,000, 3% over $125,000, and 80% under $63,000[/COLOR][/I]
There's also a hell of a lot of creative accounting here. Many of these people on less than $63 grand will also have negatively geared investment properties and drive around in massive 4x4s (company vehicles) etc...
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:35 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Anything less than 60,400 with two kids, and one would be struggling I reckon. whoops missed of the medical insurance in my final figure... 62,800.

Or life doesn't get good, until you hit 80,000 K and above. Earn 8,000 more than that and you lose your Child benefits, much to our chagrin.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here Ozzieeagle. These numbers are about right for Perth.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by renth
I think you've hit the nail on the head here Ozzieeagle. These numbers are about right for Perth.

where in a material world unfortunately bred by the 60's, 70's generation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.