Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's the good stuff about Melbourne?

What's the good stuff about Melbourne?

Old Dec 17th 2016, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

melbexpatislost is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's the good stuff about Melbourne?

I am from Melbourne. I moved to the UK over 15 years ago, when I was 21, and never went back. I have a husband and two children and my husband has been offered a job in Melbourne ($100k plus I would be earning hopefully around $70k too). We live in South London and am fed up with commuting, air quality, cost of childcare and renting, vomit on the streets, lack of interest in recycling (they're building a massive incinerator 5 miles away), bit grimy...but I do love London. I love the art galleries, museums and rich history. I love the little villages that make up London, and that many of them have their own little characteristics. We do love our daytrips into London to see the Museum, walk along the Thames, go into Greenwich. The children are happy at their school, which is kind but very strict (not necessarily a bad thing, as far as I am concerned). I also love Christmas here in London (or UK), and all the local kiddy events for Easter, Halloween, Guy Fawkes etc. While the above grates on me in London, I also haven't ruled out a move within the home counties which may improve some of these things (tied to London due to work).

I left Melbourne at quite a young age and I have no concept of what life is like nowadays for a family. I lived in Bayside in Melbourne and recall it being very materialistic, and needing to have the right brands etc. My very small family are isolated loners, so while it would be nice to have some family around (we have none in the UK), I am not expecting a deep relationship with any of them to flourish. So, what are the great things about life in Melbourne for a young family? I know about the drugs, gritty city centre in places, shorter holidays, long distances between cities in Australia, terrible traffic, nanny state culture. What's the good stuff about living in Melbourne for families? I'm currently thinking much better food, better air quality, my daughter may not be hitting the fake eyelashes and mini skirts at 12, I could live in a nicer suburb (but less character), proximity to beaches, the sightseeing will not be as ridiculously mobbed, the schools will let you have a day off without the frowns and stern words ...can any families in Melbourne help me expand my list? I would be very grateful - as my hubby is being pressed to accept the job!
Old Dec 17th 2016, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the good stuff about Melbourne?

Just curious. Does this mean those offering your husband a job can't find someone locally?

Without knowing what he does, and if they are scouring the globe to find someone with your husband's skill set, 100k does sound a little low.

Are they including relocation allowance?

Maybe the situation is different your husband approached them?

Can't help on Melbourne living sorry. Seems pleasant enough from the frequent visits I do.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

No, he did apply for the job and it includes relocation (flights, shipping, initial accommodation, relocation services, etc.). But interesting you think it's low. He works in Financial Services and has done so for six years (not manager level). That's something to consider, especially as school fees/expenses will rise quite a bit from here.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

It depends really on what your budget if for housing. Sounds like the expensive bits are what you are looking for

Seriously, do your homework on prices. Best advice we were given. basically most stuff goes to auction, far more buyers than houses, people desperate to get into good school suburbs, leafy streets or near beach suburbs, add no commute??... ( going on what you say you want ) but you are coming from London, probably you do have that sort of money. Guide price will be BS, allow upwards of 200,000 over any guide price even in most crap suburbs.

If you want clean air, then I would think a little commute is going to be on the cards, its a busy city now inner city air can be pretty gross.

I dont think mini skirts and false eyelashes are that big on 12 year olds, half the population is probably Asian and those kids are far too busy doing very dedicated study, very competitive. Drugs and drag racing would appear to be bigger problems here than tarty 12 year olds.

Food is great, not the overpriced restaurants, the ethnic markets, fruit and veg, third of supermarket prices.

Melbourne has a good amount of entertainment, compared to many aussie cities, feels lively, plenty of interesting suburbs inner city to explore and country areas a days drive, what you enjoy in london, but on a smaller scale.

Dont get the vomit comments, probably the homeless crapping or shooting up in inner city doorways will bother you then! watch those laneways

I like the more seasonal weather but of course you get that already, love the constantly changing weather too, just makes life less boring, ( 28 / 30 daily in qld for a decade wore thin).

Its a fun, medium city, with plenty to fill a couple of years or more depending on how much you need/want. But it is a city, and all that goes with it, traffic etc...

Just make sure your expectations of no commute, clean air, beach, good schools are a viable combination on whatever budget you have and if so, no doubt you will enjoy it. 170,000 combined income is fine, for day to day living of a reasonable standard. Imagine many would survive on much less.

( 2 years in melbourne, partner is from melbourne originally. )
Old Dec 18th 2016, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Seriously, do your homework on prices. Best advice we were given. basically most stuff goes to auction, far more buyers than houses, people desperate to get into good school suburbs, leafy streets or near beach suburbs, add no commute??... ( going on what you say you want ) but you are coming from London, probably you do have that sort of money. Guide price will be BS, allow upwards of 200,000 over any guide price even in most crap suburbs.
Assuming they want to buy. Not everyone likes to buy to live, even though owning your own house is sold in the media as the great Aussie dream.

Its far easier, cheaper and provides a better standard of living to let the taxpayer subsidise your rent through the negative gearing abuses of a landlord.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. Housing is a big consideration. We didn't buy in London but could buy a home in the UK without increasing our current renting bill by much. Buying in Australia seems pretty unachievable for us. Having never bought, I don't have massive urge to own property but it would be nice for the kids to have pets and - more importantly - a home to live in in retirement. I went onto mortgage calculators and the mortgage would be something like double what it would be here in the UK. Which was a shock, to say the least.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melbexpatislost
Thanks for the replies. Housing is a big consideration. We didn't buy in London but could buy a home in the UK without increasing our current renting bill by much. Buying in Australia seems pretty unachievable for us. Having never bought, I don't have massive urge to own property but it would be nice for the kids to have pets and - more importantly - a home to live in in retirement. I went onto mortgage calculators and the mortgage would be something like double what it would be here in the UK. Which was a shock, to say the least.
The main reason many buy is for retirement. When most of us retire we will generally have much less income, but your landlord will expect the same rent. But, if you have bought, you can aim to be mortgage free by then.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The main reason many buy is for retirement. When most of us retire we will generally have much less income, but your landlord will expect the same rent. But, if you have bought, you can aim to be mortgage free by then.
Good point and I wouldn't say it's the great Aussie dream as Beoz mentioned. Home ownership in Australia is not higher than in other countries and even people in the poorest countries want to at least have a roof over their head .
Old Dec 20th 2016, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Suspect you are going to see major changes. Even a year of me not going into the CBD it looks different!
The suburb I am in is going through a major transformation, lots of flats being built. It is a nice suburb but recently noticed the card shopped closed.
Shame as nothing close to it in the shopping street, which is now mainly Asian restuarants and chemists.
The good thing is they are getting rid of the railway crossings, which in the other parts of Melbourne which they have been replaced is a god send.

Has your husband been to Melbourne before? I have lived in South London, and the difference will be a major for him, hopefully in a good way.
When I relocated, the biggest change for me was the pace of life. Much more laid back and took a little adjusting to, in a good way though.

What you love about London, I doubt you will see the same levels here. It does exist and is improving all the time.

Some of the good stuff I like. The coffee shops, more independent than chains, some remember your name and what coffee you want. Not so sure about better food, both cities are very good. Melbourne is definitely a brunch culture compared to London and do it very well. Easy access to beaches and countryside, depending on what area you are in. The boardwalk has been completely been remodeled and if you are into cycling you can pretty much cycle a large part from say the city to Sandringham. I think the schools are safer here, when I left East London 2009, a couple of the schools were fitting metal detectors The inner suburbs I think feel far safer in general when it comes to crime, muggings and walking round at night. Cannot comment on some of the outer suburbs.

One thing, and not sure if this is the same in London, is the huge backpacks school kids carry in Melbourne. Honestly feel sorry them, as they are so big and usually full. Not sure about this also, but I think a large number of schools here have a uniform as tend to see more kids here in one compared to what I seen in London.

Since your hubby has a job to come too, and a relocation package. It might be worth the adventure, then again you child is at an age where I suspect it may impact her education if you both decide in a few years time it is not for you. Other parents on here probably can offer more insight to this, as not a parent myself.

Edit: Should add I hear child care in Melbourne is also very expensive.

Last edited by evets; Dec 20th 2016 at 2:19 am.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

The housing market is out of control in Melbourne and the way the auction market works you really have no idea of what you might pay as houses are listed without a price or guideline. You can have a rough idea with some research, but people are getting greedy now as since 2009 the market in Melbourne has risen nearly 100%, with no signs of stopping.

Yes I notice that too, not long after moving here. I done the same thing as was shocked at how much banks were prepared to lend me. If I took it out, I would have barely been able to survive on what was left over!

Depending on your budget and deposit, I think you may be further out than you think if you are looking to buy. The East and SE suburbs are very expensive and pushing people further and further out, but if you look to N and W Melbourne, much cheaper. Downside infrastructure, new estates have been built with affordable housing but no buses, no trains etc.
Housing compared to London, much more space but downside poor quality ie no double glazing or insulation.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

half the population is probably Asian and those kids are far too busy doing very dedicated study, very competitive.
So true, I commented to one of my colleagues about the amount of Asian student verses white students are this private school next to my office. She said the same, Asian parents push there kids to be educated whereas most Australian parents just let them ride along. Asian's value education and this can be seen when you walk round a lot of the Uni's here.

Its a fun, medium city, with plenty to fill a couple of years or more depending on how much you need/want. But it is a city, and all that goes with it, traffic etc...
Agreed, laid back with lots of offer considering its remoteness. Traffic is a killer though.

Just make sure your expectations of no commute, clean air, beach, good schools are a viable combination on whatever budget you have and if so, no doubt you will enjoy it. 170,000 combined income is fine, for day to day living of a reasonable standard. Imagine many would survive on much less.
True, rentals can be high for decent areas and living 30 mins from the beach pushes you out further with a longer commute.The southern beaches in SE Melbourne while still expensive to rent closer, it is far easier to get to them over the weekend compared to say beaches around St Kilda and also much cleaner.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses....housing seems to be the killer, albeit here or in Australia. I was reading The Age on the weekend, with stories of properties being sold for $200k above reserve, tad shocking. It's a huge consideration for us. We're struggling here and the added cost of schooling (uniform, books etc.), health insurance, dental insurance etc. is very worrying to us. Maybe will see if the hubby can negotiate higher!
Old Dec 20th 2016, 9:13 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses....housing seems to be the killer, albeit here or in Australia. I was reading The Age on the weekend, with stories of properties being sold for $200k above reserve, tad shocking.
Things may be changing? Where we live, it has been unusual to get a family house on a full block for less than 1 million recently. Last weekend one round the corner passed in at $955k. Only one bid. Wasn't a bad house either. May be just the time of year?
Old Dec 21st 2016, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It's really not too bad at all. Melbourne is not full of homeless or people shooting up lets get that straight. Consider Melbourne as a package in its entirety : a smaller more liveable London. If you set up correctly it can be quite a swan even...nicer seasons : low humidity as you know, changes making the hottest days bearable.

Many people convert well from London to Melbourne : it's a slower pace of life here but just big enough.

Housing is an issue you could consider BLT in London and renting here.

Even in the city there is not much pollution : I don't see any city in Australia as being particularly bad.

100k is not a big salary for a fin services individual contributor : your husband might perhaps do better down the track.

All in all if you can handle the housing then something in it.

I do remember London as being quite a bit more busy and mucky : it's all relative.we have a rush hour but there are ways around it and companies are still big on work life balance. There might be some exceptions if you work in a factory etc or don't have much control over work and conditions ..

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Dec 21st 2016 at 5:27 am.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Things may be changing? Where we live, it has been unusual to get a family house on a full block for less than 1 million recently. Last weekend one round the corner passed in at $955k. Only one bid. Wasn't a bad house either. May be just the time of year?
That's a bargain. Can I have 3 please? (Cheers, Sydney resident)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.