Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats good about England?

Whats good about England?

Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whats good about England?

Apart from the fact that you were born and brought up there and its "home" what is good about England? Ive been there and to alot of other places and I dont understand what there is to go back to.

Graham
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:49 am
owieb

Default Re: Whats good about England?

Originally posted by glhall
what is good about England?
It's a long way from Australia!

Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:49 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

I hope I can be objective as an Aussie in the UK for the last 10 years...

- scenery (much greener and alot more trees... Aus just can`t compete, although Aus beaches are much better).
- weather (seriously... I know the rain can be a pain sometimes but after being in Aus where the weather is either sunny and hot for days/weeks and then heavy rain for days the weather in the UK is so refreshing and unpredictable. Aus weather was boring for me).
- History (love the castles and histrorical places)
- Character.... not every town and village is the same.... it`s brilliant. In Aus it`s all lego land.
- travel opportunities.... with Europe on your doorstep you get even more of all the above.
- TV is better here.

The only bad stuff (imo) in the UK is the cost of living, the transport system, and other annoying things to do with cost of living and not getting anywhere fast (like the over-inflated housing market).
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the fact that you were born and brought up there and its "home" what is good about England? Ive been there and to alot of other places and I dont understand what there is to go back to.

Graham
The BBC
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Graham
Real Ale
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Good things re england

cheap alcohol from calais!
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:56 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by owieb
It's a long way from Australia!
LOL. You didnt disappoint me
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:57 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Graham
You mean other than friends and family.

Pubs, beer, seasons, curry, TV that is not horrendous, football games, low taxes, free healthcare, good unis, cheap holidays to europe and US, good shops, cheaper computer equipment, cheaper broadband, lower corruption, better taste, variety of bigger ski fields, sense of humour, old beautiful towns and cities, green and pleasant land and in Jerusalem dah de dah.

Oz has great stuff as well to look forward to but its funny how your perspective changes when you live abroad.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:57 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Gateway to the best part of the world - Europe.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 5:25 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

The most positive reply is from an Australian living in UK!!!!!!!

As I said before NZ has beautiful scenery, but you can't beat England for its beautiful villages and historic towns, old houses, pubs etc. I live in NZ because it is different and we enjoy the life style change, however has it enough to keep us here forever, I would say probably not. I am yet to find a pretty town in the whole of NZ and I am not talking about scenary or cities like Wellington which are on a par with major cities of the world.
I like the Kiwi attitude of travelling the world and then coming home.
It was also great to see kiwi's putting up St George flags when we played Australia and the delight they had in them loosing.

All the best where ever you live and in five years time I might still be in NZ who know's, but thats the best part.

Cheers Kev part time Kiwi.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 5:34 am
Don
Banned

Originally posted by St George Six
I am yet to find a pretty town in the whole of NZ and I am not talking about scenary or cities like Wellington which are on a par with major cities of the world.
Know what you mean, Kev - but bearing in mind how 'recent' NZ is, you're not exactly going to find the dreaming spires of Oxford, are you?

How about:

1. Cambridge - attractive little town
2. Nelson - pleasant, concentrated town centre nicely done with the shopfronts and right on a great beach with nice waterfront area
3. Warkworth - very attractive, river running through town, historic feel
4. Whitianga has got a lot going for it, on the water etc
5. Dunedin isn't exactly stunningly beautiful but has got very pleasant bits and more historic stone buildings than most NZ cities
6. Napier - the hills area looks great to live in (a bit like Clifton Village, Bristol) and the art deco feel on the waterfront is attractive
7. Whakatane - dead nice small town feel with (again) fine parts to live such as Ohope or on the hill.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by bondipom ...low taxes....
Please explain.

GST/VAT at a rate almost double that in Australia. The big con everywhere is that GST is a double tax, you pay out of you after tax income. A government can afford lower nominal income tax rates when it has it hands in your other pocket at the same time

Death duties too?

As I said, please explain.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 5:40 am
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Jumpers for goalposts

Summer fate's with Bunting

Riding bikes with no helmets just flip flops and fluorescent 'clackers' on our wheels.

Playing knock down ginger.

Pubs by the river in Summertime.

Throwing your sister in stinging nettles.

The BBC and decent TV.

Bread and Jam for tea

hmmm Marvellous.....
Old Jan 30th 2004, 5:47 am
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Banksia
Please explain.

GST/VAT at a rate almost double that in Australia. The big con everywhere is that GST is a double tax, you pay out of you after tax income. A government can afford lower nominal income tax rates when it has it hands in your other pocket at the same time

Death duties too?

As I said, please explain.
Not exactly a con. Governments need to get revenue to pay for stuff like schools and healthcare, sorry if that's all too obvious but you don't seem to get it.

Death duties - payable by the stupid and bad planners.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Not exactly a con. Governments need to get revenue to pay for stuff like schools and healthcare, sorry if that's all too obvious but you don't seem to get it./QUOTE]

Here we go again high taxes are "bad" but we need taxes. You are right I don't get it.

I repeat my question: when income tax rates go down and VAT rates are higher, do folk actually do the gross up calculation and realise GST is paid from after tax income. It is a double tax; a tax upon a tax. Not the same as a tax plus a tax by the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.