Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's that F@*!&$*g Noise!

Wikiposts

What's that F@*!&$*g Noise!

Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:29 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I think I may have solved the screeching noise problem! Click here and then play the sound of the Bush Stone Curlew - it sent shivers down my spine when I palyed it so I reckon that's the one!!

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_con...h_stonecurlew/
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:37 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jayr
I think I may have solved the screeching noise problem! Click here and then play the sound of the Bush Stone Curlew - it sent shivers down my spine when I palyed it so I reckon that's the one!!

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_con...h_stonecurlew/
Can you find a koala sound? lol for Mrs DB and myself. .. to show what we are talking about

That bird has a very pretty sound compared to a koala..

Anyone got any more sounds from the harmonious bush?
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:39 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go, always wondered what a Koala sounded like!

http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/soundfx/bearsounds.shtml

Is this what you were describing??
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:46 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

LOL, I'm killing myself laughing - that's it, try having that when you're trying to sleep.. It's not as repetitive as that.. but still that's definitely the sound..with more of a wider gap between the grunts and sort of longer grunts. They play up in mating season, while your trying to sleep, that's all you hear is these dirty b*ggers outside having a go

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 25th 2004 at 1:49 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:51 pm
Karma Comedian

This is brightening up a dull day. Here's some kookaburras:

http://www.findsounds.com/ISAPI/sear...rds=kookaburra
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Ceri
do they go "chit.. chat, chit chat"? They are those little "greenish/Greyish " type of gecko's - The Asian Gecko .(about 5cm, to maybe about 7cm long)

I will say it's definitely those from your description - it's an introduced species , which are in prolific numbers here ( it's the same gecko in Singapore) - used to get them all over my house, apparently the furthest north they say they have moved to is Strathpine ( I can tell you this is not true, we had one the other day) , Used to get loads sitting on the wall under the lights (outside) when I lived down Southside too.

Next..........
We've got Geckos, just about the only insect that's isn't scared to come into our house. I got used to the sound from them, and don't mind it any more.
I let them go where they like, usually wander around the top of the walls. I have heard that they eat any other insects, including cockroaches, so I treat them as friends

We also had a 2ft long lizard on the patio a few weeks back.

Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:09 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You often will find geckos near a light. The mozzies and other insects go to the light and the geckos gobble them up.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 8:18 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I seen a gecko eat a cockroach - my attention was drawn to it by the banging noise. The roach was half in the geckos mouth, and it must have been wriggling a bit too much as it bang the roach against the wall, and continued its dinner.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 7:41 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

:scared:
Yep, sounds like a donkey (but I guess the donkey would be more repetitive than the koala going by what Ceri said)
Glad there's no koala's in WA (hmm, never thought I'd say that )

Can't remember any wierd sounds... Only an owl, but at the time I was about 12, and hadn't had experience with owls, so I was convinced it was a bunjip!!

And yes, cicada thingy's (though I thought they were just grasshoppers) and gekko's and kookaburra's and crows ( the awwwww awwwwwww ones, Kings park for one)
Can't think of anything else, though we did live sort of 'rural'.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 8:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL thats the one!

Bloody noisy smelly things
Old Mar 26th 2004, 10:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's that F@*!&$*g Noise!

I was hoping it wasn't bats:

"Don't worry son, that terrifying screech in the middle of the night is just some bats near you bedroom window."

Think I'll tell him it's possums.
Get an air rifle. A small piece of lead applied between the eyes at high velocity will shut them up.