Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's the easist way to transfer GBPs here?

What's the easist way to transfer GBPs here?

Old May 5th 2012, 1:30 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What's the easist way to transfer GBPs here?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Depending on how much it is have a look at www.tranzfers.com - they are part of Ozforex but deal in smaller amounts.
Polly, i have and use my OzForex account, just went to log into Tranzfers, said my account is with OzForex. How would i benefit from registering with Tranzfers? I do transfer quite often sums which incur the £7 charge due to not being large enough to be free....With Ozforex, i know in the future i will transfer say £1k a month for a few months...

What is the difference between Tranzfers and Ozforex?

Cheers
Old May 5th 2012, 2:08 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
A non posting ex brit told me of a method he uses, which I've never seen mentioned on here before.

Get a trusted familymember to send their credit card, and pin number to you which enables UK bank account access to you and transfer the money GBP into their account.

When your finished you simply post back the card.

I could definitely do this in reverse if I wanted to send AUD to Aus as my Brother is 100 pct trustworthy vice versa with me and him... Therefore if my Father wanted to send me cash again in the future... just transfer into my brothers account, my Brother posts his credit or debit card with overseas debit set up and voila.
I think I might know why it hasn't been mentioned on here before - this is possibly the worst way to do any transfers!
Apart from legality issues, you will get just about the worst exchange rate using a credit card in foreign countries.

Setup an account with OzForex. You will need to provide some identification up front, but once done its by far the easiest way and the best rates around. Have been using them for a number of years and the exchange process is even quicker now.
Old May 5th 2012, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

How would one go about getting funds from my old UK account to an account in Aus. Have some cash that's been sitting there for ages and never bothered with it, but buying a house now so need the cash. Is a very basic account so makes a bit harder to work out how to get it out of the account if I'm not actually in the UK at the time.
Old May 6th 2012, 10:06 am
Just Joined

NattLloyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
How would one go about getting funds from my old UK account to an account in Aus. Have some cash that's been sitting there for ages and never bothered with it, but buying a house now so need the cash. Is a very basic account so makes a bit harder to work out how to get it out of the account if I'm not actually in the UK at the time.
Most banks require you to be in the bank personally to authorize a transfer, so unless you have a bank card and a pin number that a family member could use in the u.k to withdraw and transfer to you then your snookered I would say.
Old May 6th 2012, 5:43 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
If you have access to the account via online banking and can pay bills with it then Ozforex is the way to go. Else, if you have a card and PIN you can often just use a local ATM or even go into a local bank with your card and passport etc. Only problem with the latter options you'll get stung with transaction charges and a cr@p exchange rate, but if you're desperate to get the money.....
Old May 6th 2012, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Tingle is an unknown quantity at this point

The best rates we got (considerably) were with currencyfair.com
Old May 7th 2012, 12:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I always use Ozforex. They are great.

I'd never had a need to phone them but HSBC changed the limit on my a/c as to how much I could transfer each day which was less then the trade I booked with them. I called them up and the woman I spoke to was incredibly helpful.

Contrast this with the 2 women at HSBC I had to deal with, who were in the UK, had Anglo names and Manchester accents but were so dumb they didn't have functional English. They would had failed the IELTS test if they wanted to emigrate to Australia.

Example, one asked "Do you use internet banking?" I answered "I use it exclusively" - she had to ask the question a few times because she didn't understand what I meant, I though she couldn't hear me but she didn't know what I meant. How can you get a job at a bank when you don't have functional English?
Old May 7th 2012, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
I always use Ozforex. They are great.

I'd never had a need to phone them but HSBC changed the limit on my a/c as to how much I could transfer each day which was less then the trade I booked with them. I called them up and the woman I spoke to was incredibly helpful.

Contrast this with the 2 women at HSBC I had to deal with, who were in the UK, had Anglo names and Manchester accents but were so dumb they didn't have functional English. They would had failed the IELTS test if they wanted to emigrate to Australia.

Example, one asked "Do you use internet banking?" I answered "I use it exclusively" - she had to ask the question a few times because she didn't understand what I meant, I though she couldn't hear me but she didn't know what I meant. H
ow can you get a job at a bank when you don't have functional English?
No surprise at all.. Its upsetting that people that dumb can have jobs when I know of many intelligent people out of work..