Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats the easiest way to bring in retired parents to OZ?

Whats the easiest way to bring in retired parents to OZ?

Old Apr 7th 2006, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Whats the easiest way to bring in retired parents to OZ?

Hi All,

My mother and step father are considering joining us over here in melbourne when they both reach retiremnt age ( a couple of yeras from now).

They are not exactly flush, but enough to support themselves. I have a sister in the UK and my step-dad has a son and daughter in the UK too.

What's the likelyhood of them getting in?

Thanks,
65KK
Old Apr 7th 2006, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice
Default Re: Whats the easiest way to bring in retired parents to OZ?

Originally Posted by 65 million
Hi All,

My mother and step father are considering joining us over here in melbourne when they both reach retiremnt age ( a couple of yeras from now).

They are not exactly flush, but enough to support themselves. I have a sister in the UK and my step-dad has a son and daughter in the UK too.

Thanks,
65KK
Check out http://www.immi.gov.au/sponsor/family_permanent.htm

However, I bet you've looked at it already....

Not that mine are considering living in Oz but I wanted to check it out in case they do in the future. I found the info a bit confusing & unfortunately, I don't think mine pass the, 'balance of family' test.

I'ld like to know if anyone has managed to get around this & how.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 7:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've a feeling it's easy if you have loads of cash and go for a retirement visa but will take years if you go for the parents visa.

I'm not an expert though.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by renth
I've a feeling it's easy if you have loads of cash and go for a retirement visa but will take years if you go for the parents visa.

I'm not an expert though.

Yep, loads of cash means $1 million minimum for the retirement visa.

I know coz my OH's father enquired with an agent here in Perth. So looking at other avenues now but will be a lot longer process than the million dollar visa!!
Old Apr 7th 2006, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

happymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud of

As far as I can gather (going from memory here so don't quote me!) there is a 10-15 years (yes, years!) waiting list for a basic parent visa which costs about the same as a skilled visa PLUS a 10,000 australian bond for 10 years. The CONTRIBUTORY parent visa takes about 9-12 months and costs about 30,000 australian ( I know!) PLUS a bond of about 10,000 australian for 10 years. Those are very rough figures but do a search on contributory parent visa, I think it is the only way to go given the waiting time for the parent visa is so many years and our parents aren't getting any younger, are they! But it ain't cheap...

Good luck!

Oh, and try the immigration forum as you'll probably be in a better place there for more information
Old Apr 7th 2006, 10:28 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by happymum
As far as I can gather (going from memory here so don't quote me!) there is a 10-15 years (yes, years!) waiting list for a basic parent visa which costs about the same as a skilled visa PLUS a 10,000 australian bond for 10 years. The CONTRIBUTORY parent visa takes about 9-12 months and costs about 30,000 australian ( I know!) PLUS a bond of about 10,000 australian for 10 years. Those are very rough figures but do a search on contributory parent visa, I think it is the only way to go given the waiting time for the parent visa is so many years and our parents aren't getting any younger, are they! But it ain't cheap...

Good luck!

Oh, and try the immigration forum as you'll probably be in a better place there for more information
Yep, you're on the right track.

Booklet 3 on the DIMIA site is the one to read - thoroughly - for Parent visas.

Balance of Family Test is the first critical hurdle - if you can't pass that then you can go no further.

As the previous poster stated, do a search in the Immigration forum - this one recurs regularly.

Regards

Jim
(CP visa holder)
Old Apr 7th 2006, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

demigrate is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Thanks,
65KK
Unfortunately it doesn't sound as though they will be able to go as they wouldn't pass the 'balance of family' test. We are in a situation which is similar. My parents would like to be able to come across and live but unfortunately will not pass the 'balance of family' test (1 child in Oz, 2 children in UK) for a contributory parent visa. They do not quite have the AUD 1M, so the retirement visa is also out. My mother in law passes the test (1 child in Germany, 1 in Oz) and has assets of over the required amount for a retirement visa. However she has told us that she never wants to set foot on a plane again. Of course that's her choice.

They could always come out for periods up to 3 months or possibly six months (I think someone on here recently posted that this wouldn't be a problem) each year to visit and I believe my parents will come each year for a couple months at a time to visit us when they retire.

Darren
Old Apr 7th 2006, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

I get very frustrated with this parent visa thing - even when all the kids in our family have pr it still does not make it easier for my parent to come here - they are not sixty yet and would work and pay taxes ect. what makes me even more frustrated is that the aussie government keeps giving out refugee visas - my family all still live in Africa - can they apply for refugee status and come and "sponge" off the working class - doubt it
Old Apr 7th 2006, 11:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capacity
I get very frustrated with this parent visa thing - even when all the kids in our family have pr it still does not make it easier for my parent to come here -

Why do you say that?
Old Apr 7th 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Thank you all for your posts and pointing me in the right direction.

Like some have pointed out, its frustrating when you know they are law abiding, can look after themselves and have no language cluture difficulties.

The Ozzy government, really should relax Parental visa requiremnts in my opinion.

I will begin digging, but doesnt sound too promising.

Thanks all,
65KK
Old Apr 7th 2006, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why do you say that?

1. The basic parent visa leaves them waiting a "very" long time - probably time that they do not have at this age in their life; or 2. having to pay for the contributory visa - money that for starters is incomprehensible and secondly that would be used towards their retirement years - so in a nut shell - "a frustrating situation" - am I correct?
Old Apr 7th 2006, 12:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your posts and pointing me in the right direction.

Like some have pointed out, its frustrating when you know they are law abiding, can look after themselves and have no language cluture difficulties.

The Ozzy government, really should relax Parental visa requiremnts in my opinion.

I will begin digging, but doesnt sound too promising.

Thanks all,
65KK
So what about all the parents of Asian/Chinese/Greek/Russian etc. migrants who may not speak english.

If anyone were allowed to sponsor their parents that would mean a huge influx of elderly people....is that really what is wanted?

G
Old Apr 7th 2006, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

stubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nice

Hi All,

Thanks,
65KK
As Jimclevs says Booklet 3 is a good place to start -here's the link http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books3.htm you can down load it from there
S
Old Apr 7th 2006, 12:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capacity
2. having to pay for the contributory visa - money that for starters is incomprehensible and secondly that would be used towards their retirement years
The money to pay for the contributory parent visa is to "buy in" to the Australian healthcare system. And reflects the fact that on average they are likely to make significant use of it, without having paid Australian taxes over their working lives.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 12:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Grayling
If anyone were allowed to sponsor their parents that would mean a huge influx of elderly people....is that really what is wanted?

Either that or an enormous queue (like Canada) - the Australian community is not prepared to allow the number of visas it would take to permit unrestricted parent migration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.