Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's different...?

What's different...?

Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold
Default What's different...?

This is not another "what's better UK or Oz?" thread .

I am not expecting Australia to be Britain-in-the-sun, so to those who have already made the move, what are the biggest cultural adjustments you've had to get used to? I don't mean a drop in salary, just everyday things that you have to do there that you didn't do here, and vice versa. Any gems of wisdom that would help future newbies?

Cheers
TJ
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:42 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's different...?

Originally Posted by The Johnstons

I am not expecting Australia to be Britain-in-the-sun, so to those who have already made the move, what are the biggest cultural adjustments you've had to get used to? I don't mean a drop in salary, just everyday things that you have to do there that you didn't do here, and vice versa. Any gems of wisdom that would help future newbies?

Cheers
TJ
Its not a major cultural adjustment but I quite enjoy wearing my T shirt & shorts for 4 to 6 months of the year.
Coming from Scotland like yourself I don't think I owned a pair of shorts over there.
Also today I had the air con on, didn't do a lot of that either before.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
TJ
Probably not the answer you were expecting but just popped into my head! If I say to someone a time such as "half past two" they don't understand me! It's known as two thirty!! Also dates are eg November 25 and not 25th
Oh well, I guess I'll go back to the wine then.....
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
TJ
The only culture you get over here is the fungus growing in the bottom of an empty beer bottle that's been left on the grass verge for a month.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
The only culture you get over here is the fungus growing in the bottom of an empty beer bottle that's been left on the grass verge for a month.
I drop my empties in the recycling bin. I don't throw them on my verge. Still, whatever rattles your chain
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:23 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

For you perhaps a while away from the grass verge is in order.
If it's been there for a month why didnt you pick it up before the fungus grew ?
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
For you perhaps a while away from the grass verge is in order.
If it's been there for a month why didnt you pick it up before the fungus grew ?

I knew I was in for trouble mentioning the word 'culture'
TJ
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:34 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

I don't remember seeing anyone ever posting this, but the main difference I've found is that when I go to work in the mornings, I always remember after leaving our apartment that I should have put my suncream on...

SUNCREAM PEOPLE!!!

We to go to work in the sun....go out to lunch in the sun and come home in the sun!!!

WOW!!!!! I love this place....

Although you should remember to put your suncream on...

Otherwise you'll look like a lobster...

contract skin cancer....

and die...

R
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Isn't, 'the verge' known as the, 'nature strip'?

Makes you think there are going to be wildebeest running around on it....
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:38 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

I knew I was in for trouble mentioning the word 'culture'
TJ
Australia is a good english speaking country, after that its up to yourself to make the life youre happy with here, unlike ned whos seams like he made a mistake if all he can see is a beer bottle on the grass
Personally I think Australia has much to offer that blighty doesnt
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:39 am
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point

Banks call you by you first name, a lot less formal.
lots of people don't wear shoes in shops and in the streets in the rain!
our hot water tank in Queensland was outside!
nobody believes you when you tell them that some bathrooms have carpet in them in the UK.
supermarkets don't sell alcohol, you have to go to the bottle shop for that, but they have a huge walk in fridge to get all you cold beers and wines from
people get up really early and generally go to bed earlier too, our neighbour used to cut his grass at 6.30 am after his daily 5.45-6.15 am walk.
The builders were banging at 7am. its catching though.
our sons b4 school club opened at 6.30 am too.
generally we found people a lot more layed back and didn't come across that class society thing, everyone spoke to us.
ps in uk ate my work lunch in the car, whilst doin work, it oz sat for an hour by the beach reading a book eating my lunch!!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:46 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

I'm on board with the early morning thang..

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd see 5.30am voluntarily.

I used to stay in bed til 8am, get up, get a shower and be out of the house at 8:20am to be at work for 8:40am.

Now I'm up at 5.30am, go for a swim or jog and then watch a bit of tv, catch up on emails and generally take my time in the morning...weird!

R
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Or .....you go to work in an air-conned car (cold) ...you work in an air-conned office with no windows (cold) and when you leave work its dark.
OK, I've had a lousy week, but right now I'd swap here for the Uk at the drop of a hat.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:48 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by samnrob2

Now I'm up at 5.30am, go for a swim or jog and then watch a bit of tv, catch up on emails and generally take my time in the morning...weird!

R

Yeah don't you love that yoga under Sydney harbour bridge.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:51 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by Bordy
Yeah don't you love that yoga under Sydney harbour bridge.
Aerobics oz style...mmmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.