Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the difference.....

whats the difference.....

Old Oct 29th 2005, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Unycorne is on a distinguished road
Default whats the difference.....

between a medical center and a family practioner? We have both within walking distance and dont know what to do.......

Do we need to register?, how long do you need to prebook an appointment (my GP in the UK was 3 weeks and the nurse 5 weeks - unbelievable)

I have also been told that it is very much like the US where you can walk into most pharmacies and buy over the counter.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated as i need to sort out a visit next week.

michelle
xxx
Old Oct 29th 2005, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: whats the difference.....

Originally Posted by Unycorne
between a medical center and a family practioner? We have both within walking distance and dont know what to do.......

Do we need to register?, how long do you need to prebook an appointment (my GP in the UK was 3 weeks and the nurse 5 weeks - unbelievable)

I have also been told that it is very much like the US where you can walk into most pharmacies and buy over the counter.

michelle
xxx

We have been to a few different doctors since arriving (not sure if they were medical centres or family practitioners)
Just rock up and they usually have appointments the same day, usually have a small form to fill in as you are waiting, no major registering process
Old Oct 29th 2005, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Unycorne is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
We have been to a few different doctors since arriving (not sure if they were medical centres or family practitioners)
Just rock up and they usually have appointments the same day, usually have a small form to fill in as you are waiting, no major registering process
oh thanks that puts my mind at rest a little - thank you
Old Oct 29th 2005, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Our local medical centre is just like a regular gp practice. I went in to make an appointment and the receptionist was so apologetic that she could not fit me in that day. Such a change from UK where you got the spanish inquisition when trying to book an appointment.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Unycorne

michelle
xxx
Hi

Remember the other difference with your GP in Australia.

If you find one you like - leave go and find someone you do.

Conversely if you think your GP is terrific and you move keep them. There are no boundaries as it is private (even if they bulk bill) and you do not need to be in their area.

I have had the same GP in Aus (nearly 20 years) even though I have moved more times than I can count including coming to the UK.

Only drawback is that being private they can charge what they want. If you don't want to pay look for a GP that says "Bulk Billing"

Regards
Old Oct 30th 2005, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Sort of on the same subject,do we need to bring our uk medical records or not? Read a post the other say which said no need, but I thought you were supposed to bring copies of medical & dental records?
Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks