Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's the diference between these two visas?

Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

ozwales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's the diference between these two visas?

The Interdependency Visa
&
The Spouse Visa (as a de facto)

My partner wishes to sponsor me to go back to Oz with her. We've been
living together for a year, fulfil all of the requirements, needed by
both. Which one should I apply for? Are there any
differences/restrictions? We are not in a same sex relationship. We
understand that the Interdependecy Visa can be used for that purpose
(same sex) if we applied using it - what's the difference?

Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the diference between these two visas?

Originally Posted by ozwales

The Interdependency Visa
&
The Spouse Visa (as a de facto)

My partner wishes to sponsor me to go back to Oz with her. We've been
living together for a year, fulfil all of the requirements, needed by
both. Which one should I apply for? Are there any
differences/restrictions? We are not in a same sex relationship. We
understand that the Interdependecy Visa can be used for that purpose
(same sex) if we applied using it - what's the difference?

Thanks
Generally, if you are a same-sex couple, the interdependency is the ine to go for; if you are a hetero couple, de facto would be the one. From your post, I would say you should be looking at the de facto visa, especially as you have the necessary 12 months together.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Generally, if you are a same-sex couple, the interdependency is the ine to go for; if you are a hetero couple, de facto would be the one. From your post, I would say you should be looking at the de facto visa, especially as you have the necessary 12 months together.

Hi Pollyanna

I'm also coming out on a de facto visa, as my boyfriend's Australian, and we've been living together for over a year. One thing confuses me though - and I only found out today. If you are outside Australia when applying for the temporary de facto visa, then you must be outside Oz when you receive it. Hmm... Well we're in the UK now, visiting Oz for 3 weeks March- April and were planning on moving over in May/ June. Nothing seems to indicate approximate time scales for visas to be granted, so I'm not sure whether it's best to apply now, and hope it comes through before we go to Oz, or wait until we're there....

Any suggestions?!!!

Thanks

Sophie
Old Jan 4th 2005, 5:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophie Louise
Hi Pollyanna

I'm also coming out on a de facto visa, as my boyfriend's Australian, and we've been living together for over a year. One thing confuses me though - and I only found out today. If you are outside Australia when applying for the temporary de facto visa, then you must be outside Oz when you receive it. Hmm... Well we're in the UK now, visiting Oz for 3 weeks March- April and were planning on moving over in May/ June. Nothing seems to indicate approximate time scales for visas to be granted, so I'm not sure whether it's best to apply now, and hope it comes through before we go to Oz, or wait until we're there....

Any suggestions?!!!

Thanks

Sophie
From what I can gather, the visa would come through a lot quicker in the UK than in Aus. If you have all your paperwork and evidence sorted, get your medical done and the police check (will take the longest) and get it all sent off to AHC should (in theory) get the visa back in a month. Have a look at the austimeline
http://www.austimeline.com

to see how long de factos are taking at the moment. Mine was a spouse visa and got it within the week but we have been together for ever and have two children so even more straightforward.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by moneypen20
From what I can gather, the visa would come through a lot quicker in the UK than in Aus. If you have all your paperwork and evidence sorted, get your medical done and the police check (will take the longest) and get it all sent off to AHC should (in theory) get the visa back in a month. Have a look at the austimeline
http://www.austimeline.com

to see how long de factos are taking at the moment. Mine was a spouse visa and got it within the week but we have been together for ever and have two children so even more straightforward.
Thanks - that's really helpful! Will get on to it now, and hopefully get it sorted before we go. Regarding the 'evidence', we have all sorts of things - photos of holidays etc., tickets from places we've been. Do they specifically ask you for what they want, or do you just send things you think will support your application? I couldn't quite get that from the DIMIA website.

Sophie
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:05 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Partner visas are cheaper offshore and DIMIA are not too fond of applicants on visitors visas. I suggest you look at booklet 1 from www.immi.gov.au/allforms . The booklet is straightforward and there are people here who are more than willing to clarify matters. The forms are also downloadable from there.

There are a few lists of evidence posted around here. To get the ball rolling I suggest you get started on obtaining police checks and medicals. Arranging a few Stat Decs now won't hurt.

One potential complication is if your visa is granted after your trip. First entry has to be within a year of the earlier of the PCCs or medicals.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bondipom
Partner visas are cheaper offshore and DIMIA are not too fond of applicants on visitors visas. I suggest you look at booklet 1 from www.immi.gov.au/allforms . The booklet is straightforward and there are people here who are more than willing to clarify matters. The forms are also downloadable from there.

There are a few lists of evidence posted around here. To get the ball rolling I suggest you get started on obtaining police checks and medicals. Arranging a few Stat Decs now won't hurt.

One potential complication is if your visa is granted after your trip. First entry has to be within a year of the earlier of the PCCs or medicals.
Thanks. We've downloaded the forms and will get things going. Shouldn't be a problem if the visa is granted after the 3 week trip - we'll move whenever. The aim was for as close as possible to the trip, but if we have to hang on a bit longer we'll do that, and potentially look at year working holiday visa to bridge the gap.

Sophie
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

Hi Pollyanna

Any suggestions?!!!

Thanks

Sophie
Hi Sophie,
My spouse visa came through really quickly. I sent it off towards mid January 2004 and the visa was in my passport by 20th February and that was with me having my medicals done, evidence provided etc and we had by end of November 04 to enter Australia. At least if you get your visa now, (if it's as quick as mine was) you can validate it and then move back later....that way you can get your PR sooner!

Good luck!
Stacey
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

Thanks - that's really helpful! Will get on to it now, and hopefully get it sorted before we go. Regarding the 'evidence', we have all sorts of things - photos of holidays etc., tickets from places we've been. Do they specifically ask you for what they want, or do you just send things you think will support your application? I couldn't quite get that from the DIMIA website.

Sophie

I sent them every single thing I could find even if I wasn't sure they'd use it. You get it all back at the end anyway. I sent them a massive shoe box full of stuff (and the shoe box was size 18 shoes!!)
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SydneyStace
I sent them every single thing I could find even if I wasn't sure they'd use it. You get it all back at the end anyway. I sent them a massive shoe box full of stuff (and the shoe box was size 18 shoes!!)
Yay! You got your visa in a month?!!!!! Now I'm motivated. Will get form filling tonight! (And shoebox stuffing....)

One last question... On the DIMIA website booklet about de facto spouse applications it says NOT TO have your police check and medical before doing your application form. But I get the gist from some other people that they have done it that way round and it's been quicker. Any advice?

Thanks

Sophie
Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yay! You got your visa in a month?!!!!! Now I'm motivated. Will get form filling tonight! (And shoebox stuffing....)

One last question... On the DIMIA website booklet about de facto spouse applications it says NOT TO have your police check and medical before doing your application form. But I get the gist from some other people that they have done it that way round and it's been quicker. Any advice?

Thanks

Sophie
It depends on where you apply. Onshore and at London and Berlin (I am sure there are other missions) it is recommended to front end load, ie to include everything in the application, to speed up processing times. For other places it is not recommended because processing times can be 6 months or more. PCCs and meds are only valid a year.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bondipom
It depends on where you apply. Onshore and at London and Berlin (I am sure there are other missions) it is recommended to front end load, ie to include everything in the application, to speed up processing times. For other places it is not recommended because processing times can be 6 months or more. PCCs and meds are only valid a year.
Ah, I see... We're applying in London, so will get the police checks and meds underway straight away then. Thanks for that.

Sophie
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

ozwales is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: What's the diference between these two visas?

Ah, I see... We're applying in London, so will get the police checks and meds underway straight away then. Thanks for that.

Sophie

Thanks for the replies everyone, we are now gonna go on the spouse defacto, even tho my mate and his partner (who was pregnant!) got let in on an interdependent visa as they were advised to (?!?!?!) any ideas?

Anyway, got my police check form in and am gonna fill it in. I made enquiries regarding my hralth check and, oh boy, it's expensive! I'm in Wales and there are only 4 registered practices that do it. 2 in cardiff (60 miles east of me) 1 in Caerphilly (even more east) and one up North (dont bother he says) I phoned all three east of me and one was 10 quid cheaper than the others. 80 pound for the medical, 36 for the blood tests. one did both for 105. the X-ray with BUPA Cardiff is going to cost 71 pounds. so i'm looking at the 180 mark. Is this in line with everyone elses?

Also, my Australian Girlfriend needs her Birth Certificate and her Passport authenticated/verified (or whatever) is there a form to go with this? Or does she do it a statutory declaration? I'm unclear about this and would apprecciate some help! (she is currently in Oz for 5 weeks)

Thanks again.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:26 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Re the documents your mentioned - these will need to be what is known as certified copies. See here for more details about certification:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=236

Best regards.

Originally Posted by ozwales
Thanks for the replies everyone, we are now gonna go on the spouse defacto, even tho my mate and his partner (who was pregnant!) got let in on an interdependent visa as they were advised to (?!?!?!) any ideas?

Anyway, got my police check form in and am gonna fill it in. I made enquiries regarding my hralth check and, oh boy, it's expensive! I'm in Wales and there are only 4 registered practices that do it. 2 in cardiff (60 miles east of me) 1 in Caerphilly (even more east) and one up North (dont bother he says) I phoned all three east of me and one was 10 quid cheaper than the others. 80 pound for the medical, 36 for the blood tests. one did both for 105. the X-ray with BUPA Cardiff is going to cost 71 pounds. so i'm looking at the 180 mark. Is this in line with everyone elses?

Also, my Australian Girlfriend needs her Birth Certificate and her Passport authenticated/verified (or whatever) is there a form to go with this? Or does she do it a statutory declaration? I'm unclear about this and would apprecciate some help! (she is currently in Oz for 5 weeks)

Thanks again.