Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the deal with wicker chairs etc,

whats the deal with wicker chairs etc,

Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:05 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default whats the deal with wicker chairs etc,

We have started packing for the removals, and one thing I am still unsure of is the rules regarding wicker.

We have a chair which is made partially from wicker. It has been laquered & treated. Can this go or not ?

and what about things like wicker bread baskets & that sort of thing. Are they no -no 's ?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:40 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the deal with wicker chairs etc,

Originally Posted by furkew
We have started packing for the removals, and one thing I am still unsure of is the rules regarding wicker.

We have a chair which is made partially from wicker. It has been laquered & treated. Can this go or not ?

and what about things like wicker bread baskets & that sort of thing. Are they no -no 's ?
don't bring things like that you will probably regret it (I did with some of the crap that I bought with me) but if you are going to bring stuff you are not sure about go to http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

We had alot of wicker items, baskets, storage chests, chair etc. When Crown Relocations did our quote they said they were a definate no no.
It's frustrating when you give them all away then get here & see the exact same items in ikea

Leigh
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:21 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
We had alot of wicker items, baskets, storage chests, chair etc. When Crown Relocations did our quote they said they were a definate no no.
It's frustrating when you give them all away then get here & see the exact same items in ikea

Leigh
Isn't it! I think that as long as you can prove it comes from a reputable uk shop i.e. ikea, habitat where it's been treated etc before sale should be ok-obviously if it's been bought in a village in Indonesia that's another matter..still I guess that would just slow things up at the other end if they had to check every wicker item. Ive got 2 gorg wicker and leather habitat baskets im desperate to bring but alas will have to pass on to some vulture like friends before I go...
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:21 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Treated wicker is officially o.k. However, the reality is that AQIS are a bit of a law unto themselves. If on the day they decide something is not o.k. then it's not o.k.

Ask Pollyanna: She had her wedding hat with silk/plastic flowers and AQIS decided they were "real" flowers and had to be destroyed (someone probably fancied the hat).

If the chair is important to you, then I would take it. Otherwise - leave it behind. We've only got wicker laundry baskets and we're leaving them behind. Although, as someone else posted above, on our reccie trip we saw exactly the same ones in the Big W (shop).

Gina
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

We left our wicker garden furniture behind but brought a wicker picnic basket with no problem
janet
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi we used Crown Relocations and they packed all our wicker. Said it was fine as it was coming from the UK. Shipment has just cleared customs without probs. Hope this helps.

Donna & Neil
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:03 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Similar subject matter, can I take pressed flowers over with me? I had my wedding bouquet pressed and preserved and mounted in a frame. I would be really dissapointed to have to leave it behind.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:16 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Similar subject matter, can I take pressed flowers over with me? I had my wedding bouquet pressed and preserved and mounted in a frame. I would be really dissapointed to have to leave it behind.
Pressed flowers not allowed. But you could slip it in - and they may not notice it. (They don't unpack and inspect every box.)

Someone else posted today about finding all kinds of not-allowed stuff in their container (kids had slipped it in) and customs didn't notice it.

Gina
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

I think customs go by what the packers have wrote on the box. Out of 92 boxes they only opened one of ours that was labelled 'Christmas decorations'. If they just label it as 'picture' you could get away with it.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

seashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really nice

I had that done too - I'd be gutted if it wasn't allowed in (might consider lifting from frame and putting a cheap print in over top!) SSShhhhh!!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

We have one of those fake christmas trees, should we leave it behind.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 4:22 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by seashelle33
I had that done too - I'd be gutted if it wasn't allowed in (might consider lifting from frame and putting a cheap print in over top!) SSShhhhh!!
Oooh cunning.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seashelle33
I like your thinking

Originally Posted by Pisces
We have one of those fake christmas trees, should we leave it behind.
The tree isn't a problem as long as it doesn't have pine cones attached.

Leigh