Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the chances of retraining in oz

whats the chances of retraining in oz

Old Jun 19th 2004, 7:26 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default whats the chances of retraining in oz

hi again,does anyone know if they have night school coarses for 30 somethings wanting to retrain in a diffferent skill in oz in particular brisbane area,we got in with me being a skilled sheet metal worker and a coded tig welder but i would love to retrain as a brickey or as a plasterer.i have done bits and i mean bits for my mates who are all in the building game no more than mixing up and general labouring but would really love to do something like this in oz.my friends have offered me weekend work and casual work but cant afford to do it over here as i make good money making gates and railings as a side line over here and my wife works evenings so i have my girls after school and by the time she gets home it can be 9 o'clock but i would love the chance in oz or would i be better just looking for labouring work and hope to learn on the job.help please jonni boy
Old Jun 20th 2004, 10:30 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to retrain along the lines you're thinking of. I don't know much about the system in Australia though, still being in the UK

This sort of thing does come up here from time to time, and I'm sure someone will pick this thread up who can help out. Theres plenty of Brisbane area folks around....

Marko
Old Jun 20th 2004, 10:43 am
ABCDiamond

You may want to look into TAFE

Brisbane North Institute of TAFE is firmly positioned as one of the most successful public providers of vocational education and training in Queensland. With 8 campuses serving over 30,000 students from across Brisbane's CBD, northern districts, and targeted international markets, the Institute provides flexible training through on-campus initiatives, increasing work place and work based delivery, and training opportunities customised to meet individual and business requirements.

Old Jun 20th 2004, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of
Default Re: whats the chances of retraining in oz

Originally posted by jonni boy
hi again,does anyone know if they have night school coarses for 30 somethings wanting to retrain in a diffferent skill in oz in particular brisbane area,we got in with me being a skilled sheet metal worker and a coded tig welder but i would love to retrain as a brickey or as a plasterer.i have done bits and i mean bits for my mates who are all in the building game no more than mixing up and general labouring but would really love to do something like this in oz.my friends have offered me weekend work and casual work but cant afford to do it over here as i make good money making gates and railings as a side line over here and my wife works evenings so i have my girls after school and by the time she gets home it can be 9 o'clock but i would love the chance in oz or would i be better just looking for labouring work and hope to learn on the job.help please jonni boy
Hi Jonni boy,

I'm in a similar position. I'm looking to re-train once I get to Oz sometime this year and would be interested in possibly carpentry or plumbing. I'm 32 and have been working as a computer-aided design engineer for the last 6 years until I was made redundant a few weeks ago.

Let us know how you get on.

BTW: we're heading for the Brisbane area too.

Colin
Old Jun 20th 2004, 6:19 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the chances of retraining in oz

Originally posted by kulu
Hi Jonni boy,

I'm in a similar position. I'm looking to re-train once I get to Oz sometime this year and would be interested in possibly carpentry or plumbing. I'm 32 and have been working as a computer-aided design engineer for the last 6 years until I was made redundant a few weeks ago.

Let us know how you get on.

BTW: we're heading for the Brisbane area too.

Colin
Hi

Me too.

There is a site for a college I'm trying to open for Perth area but is not playing with me.

I fancy re training as a plumber after 16 years working in the social/ voluntary sectors. It's good to re train but what do you exactly need to use your new skills as an occupation? Is it a certain certificate/ apprenticeship/ years of excperience?

Can any trade person in Oz advise?

Walla
Old Jun 20th 2004, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Although i am in Adelaide, i am sure this applies all over Aus. Recently i have seen TV advertisements for The New Apprenticeship Scheme. It is specifically for the more "mature" person who wants to retrain and change career direction, so i am sure there'll be plenty of opportunities for training once you get here.