What's better?

Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:56 pm
dys
Just Joined

dys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's better?

Guys,

What's better: staying in the UK and earning roughly £65k plus benefits or going to Aus (Perth) and earning AUD90k (including super, so effecitvely AUD81k. Would I have a much better quality of life on £65k in the UK.

I want to come to Oz but if the money's not right I may need to re-consider things. been reading a lot on here about the crazy cost of living. I know people used to call blighty 'rip off britain' but i'm not so sure that's the case anymore.

Any advice would be most appreciated
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

nevster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's better?

Hi dys,

I think you need to let people know what kind of lifestyle you are after as that could have a big bearing on the answers.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:56 pm
dys
Just Joined

Well I suppose what I'm asking is what salary will afford me a better lifestyle (leaving aside the plus points Oz has to offer like sunshine, beach etc) I also want to be able to save a bit of my salary for the future. I dont have any kids yet
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

ozhopeful will become famous soon enough

i'm not in oz (yet) but i can tell you what they're gonna say

no way will you match your lifestyle, 65 in the uk plus bonus is very good, 90 isn't even the dollar equivalent, you'll have to have some very good reasons for moving if you ask me (other than financial)
Old Apr 20th 2010, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dys
Guys,

What's better: staying in the UK and earning roughly £65k plus benefits or going to Aus (Perth) and earning AUD90k (including super, so effecitvely AUD81k. Would I have a much better quality of life on £65k in the UK.

I want to come to Oz but if the money's not right I may need to re-consider things. been reading a lot on here about the crazy cost of living. I know people used to call blighty 'rip off britain' but i'm not so sure that's the case anymore.

Australia's just as expensive, if not more expensive than the UK. On those salaries you would be better off in the UK.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:13 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dys
Guys,

Average salary in the UK is £26k. Average salary in Australia is $70k.

If you want the same spending power that you have in the UK, you'd probably need to earn around $150k.

If you're willing to make some sacrifices, then you could live reasonably comfortably on $81k (no point including super). It wouldn't be much more than the average wage though, and if you have any kids, you may struggle a little.

Also, what area are you from in the UK? If you're from the North then you'd have to make big sacrifices.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

is money all that matters?, personally money differences never crossed my mind, its just not something I care about.

Most people when they think of moving to aus talk about how its a dream, the better weather, better way of life etc.

Even if sometimes people have a bit of a fantasy view of things I would say its better to have a dream like that than just be focused on money

Surely how much you are getting paid is not the only way you qualify happiness in your life, if so retirements gonna be a bitch for you.

Sorry if this sounds a bit strong but this post kind of suprised me
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:54 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dys
Guys,

If money is your thing then save yourself some grief and stay where you are.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:56 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dave99
personally money differences never crossed my mind, its just not something I care about.
That's ok, feel free to hand over any money you acquire.

It's alright having beautiful weather and the possibility of great days out, but if you end up financially struggling, you spend most of you time wondering if you can afford to do things.

Yeah, the sun is free - but you have to feed yourselves, pay for sun cream, keep buying bathers and thongs (as the salt water & sun corrodes them), put fuel in the car or pay for public transport, etc...

If only life was free. Money - it's useful you know.

Last edited by coolshadows; Apr 21st 2010 at 1:55 am.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:26 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Money doesn't buy happiness but **** it helps hahhhahahah
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nevster
Hi dys,

I think you need to let people know what kind of lifestyle you are after as that could have a big bearing on the answers.
Nevster's right you know. Everybody's lifestyle is different, everybody's needs are different. It would help if you were a bit more detailed, eg. do you have children, what do you spend your money on (mortgage?, going out?, travel?, food?, commute?), where do you live in the UK?
I'd say that $90k for a single person renting a 1 bedroom house/flat in inner-city Melbourne (rent of about $350/week) with no car would go along way. However, I don't think $90k is near enough sufficient for a family of 4 with 1 or 2 cars and a mortgage for a 3 or 4 bedroom house (probably more like $400-600/week) in the middle suburbs of Melbourne. At least not if you want to save and travel and go out to dinner lots...
So a bit more information would be welcome to allow us to comment
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
That's ok, feel free to hand over any money you acquire.

It's alright having beautiful weather and the possibility of great days out, but if you end up financially struggling, you spend most of you time wondering if you can afford to do things.

Yeah, the sun is free - but you have to feed yourselves, pay for sun cream, keep buying bathers and thongs (as the salt water & sun corrodes them), put fuel in the car or pay for public transport, etc...

If only life was free. Money - it's useful you know.
People these days get to distracted thinking they need to spend their money on a lot of junk. Do you really need those fancy cushions for the fancy setee, or do you really need tobuy that new dvd to just have it sit on the shelf with all the others.
I reckon if people really looked at the things they need rather than just the things they desire (often because tv or advertising tells them they should have it) then maybe they would come to realise they can live a lot cheaper than they are and money would be less of a worry. Simplify your life !
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

impi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dys
Guys,

If you are only coming for the money then don't come!! , this place don't need those kind of people because they are the ones that don't stop whinging about how good they had it back "home"
Yes you need to live but to sacrifice a little wages for a better life is definitely worth it.
I have been here just over a year and love it and would never consider going back.
If you come then forget about the uk and live how they live over here and you will be amazed what a better life style this place has to offer.

Work is better as well as education and the health service
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by impi
If you are only coming for the money then don't come!! , this place don't need those kind of people because they are the ones that don't stop whinging about how good they had it back "home"
Yes you need to live but to sacrifice a little wages for a better life is definitely worth it.
I have been here just over a year and love it and would never consider going back.
If you come then forget about the uk and live how they live over here and you will be amazed what a better life style this place has to offer.

Work is better as well as education and the health service
Are you actually in Perth?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:31 pm
dys
Just Joined

Some vitriolic replies here.....blimey anyone would think I'm some sort of Fagan like character only interested in money judging by some of these responses. Couldnt be further from the truth. I want a good quality of life but I also want enough money to go on nice holidays, buy a nice house and save for the future.

So £65k or AUD90k....think the £65k obviously buys more (even in London) but is it really the same as earning AUD 150k. I knew perth was pricey but i didnt know it was that pricey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.