British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Whats best time to go (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whats-best-time-go-703762/)

rackcatt Feb 4th 2011 10:32 am

Whats best time to go

Sold our house, got 4 weeks to be out.!!! Feeling pressure and bit stressed, got plans made...except we have family to stay with here..
Wanted to head to melbourne in june , letting kids finish their school year, my college course etc...
Everything happening very quick, no idea on exact area we are going to stay in.
So should we go in April, wait till June ?
If we head out in June will weather be v cold and horrible..
so confused as to wha:(t to do

diddy Feb 4th 2011 10:37 am

Re: Whats best time to go

Originally Posted by rackcatt (Post 9151691)
Sold our house, got 4 weeks to be out.!!! Feeling pressure and bit stressed, got plans made...except we have family to stay with here..
Wanted to head to melbourne in june , letting kids finish their school year, my college course etc...

Weather will be get cool in April anyway. I'd be inclined to base decisions around kids school, finishing college ect. You may even want a Summer in UK?

mvagusta Feb 4th 2011 10:39 am

If it was me I'd let the kids finish school and you your course.

Flight prices tend to be at their cheapest in June as well.
I can't speak for Melbourne but the Perth weather in June last year was pleasant during the day and a bit cold at night.

bcworld Feb 4th 2011 10:43 am

Originally Posted by rackcatt (Post 9151691)

If you come in June you might come straight into 3 - 4 months of coldish weather...we had quite a long drawn out winter last year. On top of that you'll have missed out on much of a chance of a summer in the UK so you could've gone over a year without one! The ideal way to do it is back to back summers! But as others have said, its probably best to base it on practical things rather than the weather.

rackcatt Feb 4th 2011 10:54 am

If we stayed till june, saved money, see if interest rates improve .
Then would it be better in say August to head out?

School is my worry, son is 10 , 11 in september Primary 6 here.
Daughter is 12 , 13 in july in secondary school 1st year.
What school year will they go into over in Oz, with regards to their age etc ?, son is struggling a bit academically , i would be happy for him to repeat a school year if need be...

Buzzy--Bee Feb 4th 2011 6:04 pm

I think winter (June/July) is the best time to come. That way you have the nice cool but still often sunny weather while you're rushing around sorting out cars and jobs etc, then once you're a bit settled summer comes and you're a bit more relaxed to enjoy it.

BB

quoll Feb 4th 2011 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by rackcatt (Post 9151753)
If we stayed till june, saved money, see if interest rates improve .
Then would it be better in say August to head out?

School is my worry, son is 10 , 11 in september Primary 6 here.
Daughter is 12 , 13 in july in secondary school 1st year.
What school year will they go into over in Oz, with regards to their age etc ?, son is struggling a bit academically , i would be happy for him to repeat a school year if need be...

Your son, turning 11 in September will be in year 5 in Victoria (he will have another year of primary in 2012), your daughter, turning 13 in July will be in year 7 this year (first year HS). And the school year runs from Feb - December but at those ages kids can come and go at any time so no rush to get them here for anything important

This is a foreign country with its own education system so there wont be any "repeating" of years or "going back" because they wont have done this work before, they will just be placed with their age cohort and that is the nomenclature of the appropriate age group.

I'd finish your course and arrive later I think. As long as you dont arrive between November and February (when the rental market gets even more stretched than its regular tightness) you should be fine.

HelenTD Feb 5th 2011 3:47 am

I moved to Australia in June. I left behind 3 months of summer, long summer days and good weather (at least, in my part of the UK). I arrived to Perth's short, sharp winter, cold, very wet, dark and miserable. It took a while to get work, so I was at home, didn't know anybody apart from my OH. The only heating we had at the time was a pot belly stove and I had no idea about how to get it started:o. It was a real shock to the body to go from summer to winter, as it would be the other way around. Less physical stress to go in the spring/autumn seasons. If I was in your position, I'd leave there about mid-September, then you'd be able to enjoy summer there. Term 3 ends on 23 September in Victoria, Term 4 starts on 10 October, so you'd have a bit of time to sort out somewhere to live and get the kids enrolled in school.

rackcatt Feb 5th 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks very much. That is great to know, was worried son would have to go into HS year 7 , without doing another primary year...he is struggling at moment as it is..
Was worried about daughter as she picks her subjects in two years time in this country, if we wait till june they finish school here. We have annual leave july till mid august, we could send them back to school them head maybe september, find a place and a school for october?
I suppose the only other thing would be if getting a job at that time of year for OH what perhaps cause an issue?
Or is it a case of im now worrying to much about everything....xx

Buzzy--Bee Feb 5th 2011 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by rackcatt (Post 9154311)
I suppose the only other thing would be if getting a job at that time of year for OH what perhaps cause an issue?

Don't expect to find a job or even get interviews between end of November and beginning of February. You might get lucky especially if you have a skill majorly in demand but it will be significantly less likely.

BB

Al and Jacque Feb 6th 2011 10:12 am

Hi we are also in the same boat, we don't know if we should go in March or wait till the end of June when the boys finish school, they are 8 & 5. We are not that concerned about the weather as we are going to Brisbane, just feel bad pulling them out of school, we need to get tickets booked, so need to decide very soon.

Thanks
Alan

rackcatt Feb 6th 2011 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9154965)
Don't expect to find a job or even get interviews between end of November and beginning of February. You might get lucky especially if you have a skill majorly in demand but it will be significantly less likely.

BB

Is on skills in demand, but will need to take this into consideration. thanks for that.

debs1966 Feb 6th 2011 1:51 pm

Hi Guys

We are pretty much in the same boat too. We have decided to take the plunger and book our flights on 28th August so it gives us a date to work towards we are heading out to Perth.

I think my reason for this is because I wanted to finish the Summer here i the UK my son will finish at the end of July in Year 2 and the prices on the airlines were alot cheaper in August.

So I am busy planning shipping companies to come out to give quotes, we have thankfully sold our house just deliberating how much to take with us because I have got much in the way of heirlooms lol.

Good luck everyone with your decisions.

Debbie, Lancaster, UK :)

rackcatt Feb 6th 2011 2:43 pm

[QUOTE=debs1966;9156372]Hi Guys

We are pretty much in the same boat too. We have decided to take the plunger and book our flights on 28th August so it gives us a date to work towards we are heading out to Perth.

I think my reason for this is because I wanted to finish the Summer here i the UK my son will finish at the end of July in Year 2 and the prices on the airlines were alot cheaper in August.

So I am busy planning shipping companies to come out to give quotes, we have thankfully sold our house just deliberating how much to take with us because I have got much in the way of heirlooms lol.

Good luck everyone with your decisions.

Hi Debbie

I have has few quotes this week, my best quote by far was from Crown. www.crownrelo.com. Just incase you were still looking about for quotes. Well done on deciding your date, just had viewer and offer in a week, now have three weeks to get out...been in tears all weekend, not sure why maybe just a bit panicked. Going to stay with in laws next month in a seperate area from their house, so at least we will have time to save and if job comes up we call shipping company and go...if not well im thinking august too...xx keep in touch xx