Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's the best thing to use to clean stufff for shipping?

What's the best thing to use to clean stufff for shipping?

Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's the best thing to use to clean stufff for shipping?

We've got shoes, wellies, bikes etc and the time has come to start scrubbing!
What's the best stuff to use?

thanks
sam
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the best thing to use to clean stufff for shipping?

Originally Posted by sammyg

thanks
sam
Jeyes fluid.might have to go to your local diy place to get it.The smell will knock you out but it does exactly what it says on thetin.x
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Jeyes fluid.might have to go to your local diy place to get it.The smell will knock you out but it does exactly what it says on thetin.x
thanks...i thought that was it
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:11 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought some jeyes but then I remembered that its highly toxic to cats in the smallest amounts.

We were always taught at college when I was a student nurse never to use jeyes fluid for anything if you have cats.

I never have used it so don't know how accurate that is but Im not taking the chance. Especially as Gordon has a bad habit of chewing our shoes.

I would rather be too cautious than risk it with my cat who does have 'chewing issues' Plus when I smelt the Jeyes, it really did make me wheeze with my asthma.

We used bleach for our shoes and its done the trick.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
dito on the jeyes fluid you can get in spray form
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We bought some jeyes but then I remembered that its highly toxic to cats in the smallest amounts.

We were always taught at college when I was a student nurse never to use jeyes fluid for anything if you have cats.

I never have used it so don't know how accurate that is but Im not taking the chance. Especially as Gordon has a bad habit of chewing our shoes.

I would rather be too cautious than risk it with my cat who does have 'chewing issues' Plus when I smelt the Jeyes, it really did make me wheeze with my asthma.

We used bleach for our shoes and its done the trick.
Christ, thanks PP, had no idea Jeyes was toxic. Won't be using that then as our boys are chewers as well.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:07 pm
looking for an easy life!

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all

hi you could try and get hold of some disinfectant from your vets either virkon or trigene. Both safe for all animals as we use them in kennels and sometimes on the beds. I know that the during the foot and mouth virkon was used for most foot dips. Or failing that search on the net for virkon-s and a 50g sachet is only about £1.94 and goes a long way.(makes 5 lites) hope this helps
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:04 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy
hi you could try and get hold of some disinfectant from your vets either virkon or trigene. Both safe for all animals as we use them in kennels and sometimes on the beds. I know that the during the foot and mouth virkon was used for most foot dips. Or failing that search on the net for virkon-s and a 50g sachet is only about £1.94 and goes a long way.(makes 5 lites) hope this helps
Im only shipping about 6 pairs of shoes, Ive used bleach and water - do you think that will be OK?

Oh god my head is bursting.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

thanks
sam
We used Vircon S - this was recommended by the shipping company. It is used in horse stables etc. It is MAFF approved. We obtained it from a local pet/horse suppliers. It comes in Sachets and costs approx. £1.75 per sachet. Just mix with water and spray items after general cleaning. Has to be done within 24 hours of putting in container. We brought with us bikes, lawnmower, tools, garden furniture, golf clubs, fishing equipment, motorcross gear etc. Nothing of ours was pulled on inspection. It is virtually odourless. The shippers noted what we had used on the paperwork.

Nat
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks for the useful info guys

We too have a cat so i'm a bit worried about jeyes, so i think we'll scrub with bleach and water and then vicron s it the night before they pack it up
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nozzys
We used Vircon S - this was recommended by the shipping company. It is used in horse stables etc. It is MAFF approved. We obtained it from a local pet/horse suppliers. It comes in Sachets and costs approx. £1.75 per sachet. Just mix with water and spray items after general cleaning. Has to be done within 24 hours of putting in container. We brought with us bikes, lawnmower, tools, garden furniture, golf clubs, fishing equipment, motorcross gear etc. Nothing of ours was pulled on inspection. It is virtually odourless. The shippers noted what we had used on the paperwork.

Nat
BTW, how are you guys getting on?
We were fellow marchies, not many of us left over here now!

Sam x
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

BTW, how are you guys getting on?
We were fellow marchies, not many of us left over here now!

Sam x
Great thanks, been here three months now. OH in work and kids at school after "summer hols", just settling back into a routine. Lots to get used to but still really good. Unfortunately think we brought the British weather with us - had loads of rain!!! Not a bad thing though as they need it here and it is still very warm!

When do you get here and where are you headed?

Nat X
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Oh goodness, I hadn't even thought about what to use to clean things! Have got until May though so will have plenty of time to sort it out!

I was cleaning my kitchen this afternoon and had a thought - not sure if this is completely stupid to ask, but what about really dirty cookbooks?! You know where they have been well used and are a bit mucky (I really hope its not just mine that are like that!) Should I go through them and try to clean them up to spotless finish???
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:11 pm

thanks for the useful info guys

We too have a cat so i'm a bit worried about jeyes, so i think we'll scrub with bleach and water and then vicron s it the night before they pack it up
Here you go, a bit more information on it.

http://www.animalaidandadvice.org.uk...ion/info6.html

I quote number 10 to save you going through it all;

10. Beware toxic or unpleasant substances which may adhere to small paws, which will, in turn, be licked - eg soap powder, paraffin, disinfectant, detergent, residue from newly-stained floors or fresh paintwork.

Should your kitten get paint on him, do not use white spirit to remove it. Consult a vet (telephone).

Disinfectants (such as TCP, Jeyes Fluid, Lysol) that are coal-tar, wood-tar or phenol based including pine oils are POISONOUS to cats. They should, therefore, not be used to clean litter trays, bowls etc. Ammonia compounds-based disinfectants (eg Savlon, Tego, Shield, Roccal or bleach) should be used, but always thoroughly rinsed off.

Lock away antifreeze. Slug pellets and garden pesticides are lethal for animals. Try to use animal-friendly products in the garden instead.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

thanks
sam
Hiya,

A hammer, thats what we are using !!!!

Donna.