Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's the best OTC medicine for migraine in Aus?

What's the best OTC medicine for migraine in Aus?

Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:53 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's the best OTC medicine for migraine in Aus?

I've been prone to migraine for the past couple of years and in the UK I always took Migralieve which always sorted me out. Over the past 3 days I've had 3 doozies of migraine's. I trotted off to the chemist and got Panafen+ but it's not making a blind bit of difference to the pain or the nausea!. Sleep's realy the only thing that helps but we're in the middle of trying to get jobs and a rental so that's not always an option at the moment.

Can anyone recommend anything else I can try from the chemist or is it a trip to a GP I need for something stronger?

Gill
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the best OTC medicine for migraine in Aus?

I had a whole week of migraine last week, the strongest tablets you can get over the counter are Mersyndol which normally do the trick but not last week I asked the pharmacist what I could take and she recommended a Migraine pain relief stick, it doesn't actually take the pain away but you rub it all over your forehead and its very soothing.
If it happens again I will be going to the doctors for something stronger.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:25 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
I've been prone to migraine for the past couple of years and in the UK I always took Migralieve which always sorted me out. Over the past 3 days I've had 3 doozies of migraine's. I trotted off to the chemist and got Panafen+ but it's not making a blind bit of difference to the pain or the nausea!. Sleep's realy the only thing that helps but we're in the middle of trying to get jobs and a rental so that's not always an option at the moment.

Can anyone recommend anything else I can try from the chemist or is it a trip to a GP I need for something stronger?

Gill
I use Nurofen Migraine relief and it sorts mine out no problem.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Gill
I also had bad migraines lasted about 3 weeks was told it was a bad virus that was going around, i used Nurofen migraine tabs too not that it really took edge off of them! Plenty of rest and sleep, i really feel for you and hope they go soon!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:37 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Gill
have your consider homeopathy? a guy i work with recommends it for migraines
Old Aug 8th 2007, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

cj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant future

Gill
My son is a sufferer from migraine and he used to take migraleve as well, couldn't find it here so took him to the doctor to see if there was an equivalent, he told me to give him 1x panadeine and 1/2 dramamine (you may have to alter the dosage for an adult though as my son is only 11).

Cath
Old Aug 8th 2007, 4:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to either of the following and order what you want from the UK. You can't get Solpadeine here so I order it in in bulk (well bulk ish, you can't bring too much in at any one time). You may have to complete a short form as to why you want them but just say they are pain relief you can't get here.

http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/
http://www.mistrys.co.uk/
http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/

I have two tablets left (use by date long gone) of the prescription tablets I had in the UK for really bad ones. They don't have anything similar over here so if or when I have a blinder after they've gone I'm stuffed. On the other hand I haven't had one since we arrived so touch wood.

Good luck with it.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:09 am
Just Joined

caroline256 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gill
Hi

I found Mersyndol Night which you can get over the counter, which helps me sleep at night if I have a migraine. I couldnt get anything for the nausea though, had to get a prescription from the doctor for Stemzine tabs which help with the nausea without causing drowsiness.

Caroline
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

I know I suffer terribly too and get the flashing lights etc.They only seem to sell paracetamol/aspirin here

Co codamol used to help mine but you cant get them here

I wish Id brought a mega pack of them with me,and will be asking anyone who visits from UK to bring some with them
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

CarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant future

[I have two tablets left (use by date long gone) of the prescription tablets I had in the UK for really bad ones. They don't have anything similar over here so if or when I have a blinder after they've gone I'm stuffed. On the other hand I haven't had one since we arrived so touch wood.]

I take Zomig on prescription. It costs me more here than it did in the UK, but it's worth it to me to have something I know will work. (I'm sure just having them in my bag reduces the number of migraines I get!)

I find the migrastick roll-on good too.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellie10990
I know I suffer terribly too and get the flashing lights etc.They only seem to sell paracetamol/aspirin here

Co codamol used to help mine but you cant get them here

I wish Id brought a mega pack of them with me,and will be asking anyone who visits from UK to bring some with them
Use the links above. Postage isn't too much from any of them.

Caroline, is Stemzine Stemital based? Can't touch that, major allergic reaction which isn't great when you're in the middle of a violent migraine. I had Maxalt Melts in the UK for the vomiting. They dissolve on the tongue, couldn't take a tablet - I'd bring them up immediately, couldn't use the suppositories either for (vaguely ) the same reason. All injection drugs I've used I became immune to.

I hope to god neither of my daughters take after me, I couldn't bear to have to sit by and watch them go through what I used to deal with.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Bizarrely enough, my wife gets migrane tablets from Oz (Codox) to use over here in the UK!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:21 am
Just Joined

caroline256 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Use the links above. Postage isn't too much from any of them.

Caroline, is Stemzine Stemital based? Can't touch that, major allergic reaction which isn't great when you're in the middle of a violent migraine. I had Maxalt Melts in the UK for the vomiting. They dissolve on the tongue, couldn't take a tablet - I'd bring them up immediately, couldn't use the suppositories either for (vaguely ) the same reason. All injection drugs I've used I became immune to.

I hope to god neither of my daughters take after me, I couldn't bear to have to sit by and watch them go through what I used to deal with.
Hi

The Stemzine tablets are prochlorperazine maleate 5mg. It doesn't mention Stemital on the packet anywhere.

Hope you find something that helps.

Caroline
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:29 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppett44
I had a whole week of migraine last week, the strongest tablets you can get over the counter are Mersyndol which normally do the trick but not last week I asked the pharmacist what I could take and she recommended a Migraine pain relief stick, it doesn't actually take the pain away but you rub it all over your forehead and its very soothing.
If it happens again I will be going to the doctors for something stronger.
I am an Austrlalian who has suffered from migraines forever.

Myrsyndol is indeed the best thing I can find over the counter - you have to ask for it (its not on show) and they will ask you all about whether you have taken it before, are you on any other medication etc.

Second best remedy is to cut your head off (at least thats what I ask my girlfriend to do everytime I have a headache........so far she has refused....)
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
I am an Austrlalian who has suffered from migraines forever.

Myrsyndol is indeed the best thing I can find over the counter - you have to ask for it (its not on show) and they will ask you all about whether you have taken it before, are you on any other medication etc.

Second best remedy is to cut your head off (at least thats what I ask my girlfriend to do everytime I have a headache........so far she has refused....)
ohhh good topic ((hugs)) to you - bain of my life bloody migraines - i will be bringing as much migraleive as i can if you cant get it over there, nothing else seems to touch it for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.