British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What's the best OTC medicine for migraine in Aus? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whats-best-otc-medicine-migraine-aus-472386/)

herrchook Aug 7th 2007 10:53 pm

What's the best OTC medicine for migraine in Aus?

I've been prone to migraine for the past couple of years and in the UK I always took Migralieve which always sorted me out. Over the past 3 days I've had 3 doozies of migraine's. I trotted off to the chemist and got Panafen+ but it's not making a blind bit of difference to the pain or the nausea!:(. Sleep's realy the only thing that helps but we're in the middle of trying to get jobs and a rental so that's not always an option at the moment.

Can anyone recommend anything else I can try from the chemist or is it a trip to a GP I need for something stronger?

Gill

Poppett44 Aug 8th 2007 12:13 am

Re: What's the best OTC medicine for migraine in Aus?

I had a whole week of migraine last week, the strongest tablets you can get over the counter are Mersyndol which normally do the trick but not last week :unsure: I asked the pharmacist what I could take and she recommended a Migraine pain relief stick, it doesn't actually take the pain away but you rub it all over your forehead and its very soothing.
If it happens again I will be going to the doctors for something stronger.

northernbird Aug 8th 2007 12:25 am

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 5161400)
I've been prone to migraine for the past couple of years and in the UK I always took Migralieve which always sorted me out. Over the past 3 days I've had 3 doozies of migraine's. I trotted off to the chemist and got Panafen+ but it's not making a blind bit of difference to the pain or the nausea!:(. Sleep's realy the only thing that helps but we're in the middle of trying to get jobs and a rental so that's not always an option at the moment.

Can anyone recommend anything else I can try from the chemist or is it a trip to a GP I need for something stronger?

Gill

I use Nurofen Migraine relief and it sorts mine out no problem.

Madhouse! Aug 8th 2007 12:31 am

Gill

I also had bad migraines lasted about 3 weeks was told it was a bad virus that was going around, i used Nurofen migraine tabs too not that it really took edge off of them! Plenty of rest and sleep, i really feel for you and hope they go soon!

gedge Aug 8th 2007 12:37 am

Gill

have your consider homeopathy? a guy i work with recommends it for migraines

cj23 Aug 8th 2007 3:40 am

Gill

My son is a sufferer from migraine and he used to take migraleve as well, couldn't find it here so took him to the doctor to see if there was an equivalent, he told me to give him 1x panadeine and 1/2 dramamine (you may have to alter the dosage for an adult though as my son is only 11).

Cath

moneypenny20 Aug 8th 2007 4:28 am

Go to either of the following and order what you want from the UK. You can't get Solpadeine here so I order it in in bulk (well bulk ish, you can't bring too much in at any one time). You may have to complete a short form as to why you want them but just say they are pain relief you can't get here.

http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/
http://www.mistrys.co.uk/
http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/

I have two tablets left (use by date long gone) of the prescription tablets I had in the UK for really bad ones. They don't have anything similar over here so if or when I have a blinder after they've gone I'm stuffed. On the other hand I haven't had one since we arrived so touch wood.

Good luck with it.

caroline256 Aug 8th 2007 7:09 am

Gill

Hi

I found Mersyndol Night which you can get over the counter, which helps me sleep at night if I have a migraine. I couldnt get anything for the nausea though, had to get a prescription from the doctor for Stemzine tabs which help with the nausea without causing drowsiness.

Caroline

ellie10990 Aug 8th 2007 7:22 am

I know I suffer terribly too and get the flashing lights etc.They only seem to sell paracetamol/aspirin here

Co codamol used to help mine but you cant get them here

I wish Id brought a mega pack of them with me,and will be asking anyone who visits from UK to bring some with them

CarlaA Aug 8th 2007 7:49 am

[I have two tablets left (use by date long gone) of the prescription tablets I had in the UK for really bad ones. They don't have anything similar over here so if or when I have a blinder after they've gone I'm stuffed. On the other hand I haven't had one since we arrived so touch wood.]

I take Zomig on prescription. It costs me more here than it did in the UK, but it's worth it to me to have something I know will work. (I'm sure just having them in my bag reduces the number of migraines I get!)

I find the migrastick roll-on good too.

moneypenny20 Aug 8th 2007 8:43 am

Originally Posted by ellie10990 (Post 5162422)
I know I suffer terribly too and get the flashing lights etc.They only seem to sell paracetamol/aspirin here

Co codamol used to help mine but you cant get them here

I wish Id brought a mega pack of them with me,and will be asking anyone who visits from UK to bring some with them

Use the links above. Postage isn't too much from any of them.

Caroline, is Stemzine Stemital based? Can't touch that, major allergic reaction which isn't great when you're in the middle of a violent migraine. I had Maxalt Melts in the UK for the vomiting. They dissolve on the tongue, couldn't take a tablet - I'd bring them up immediately, couldn't use the suppositories either for (vaguely ;)) the same reason. All injection drugs I've used I became immune to.

I hope to god neither of my daughters take after me, I couldn't bear to have to sit by and watch them go through what I used to deal with.:eek:

James516 Aug 8th 2007 9:00 am

Bizarrely enough, my wife gets migrane tablets from Oz (Codox) to use over here in the UK!

caroline256 Aug 8th 2007 9:21 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5162619)
Use the links above. Postage isn't too much from any of them.

Caroline, is Stemzine Stemital based? Can't touch that, major allergic reaction which isn't great when you're in the middle of a violent migraine. I had Maxalt Melts in the UK for the vomiting. They dissolve on the tongue, couldn't take a tablet - I'd bring them up immediately, couldn't use the suppositories either for (vaguely ;)) the same reason. All injection drugs I've used I became immune to.

I hope to god neither of my daughters take after me, I couldn't bear to have to sit by and watch them go through what I used to deal with.:eek:

Hi

The Stemzine tablets are prochlorperazine maleate 5mg. It doesn't mention Stemital on the packet anywhere.

Hope you find something that helps.

Caroline

AndyR1976 Aug 8th 2007 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Poppett44 (Post 5161566)
I had a whole week of migraine last week, the strongest tablets you can get over the counter are Mersyndol which normally do the trick but not last week :unsure: I asked the pharmacist what I could take and she recommended a Migraine pain relief stick, it doesn't actually take the pain away but you rub it all over your forehead and its very soothing.
If it happens again I will be going to the doctors for something stronger.

I am an Austrlalian who has suffered from migraines forever.

Myrsyndol is indeed the best thing I can find over the counter - you have to ask for it (its not on show) and they will ask you all about whether you have taken it before, are you on any other medication etc.

Second best remedy is to cut your head off (at least thats what I ask my girlfriend to do everytime I have a headache........so far she has refused....)

Gonnago Aug 8th 2007 9:39 am

Originally Posted by AndyR1976 (Post 5162760)
I am an Austrlalian who has suffered from migraines forever.

Myrsyndol is indeed the best thing I can find over the counter - you have to ask for it (its not on show) and they will ask you all about whether you have taken it before, are you on any other medication etc.

Second best remedy is to cut your head off (at least thats what I ask my girlfriend to do everytime I have a headache........so far she has refused....)

ohhh good topic ((hugs)) to you - bain of my life bloody migraines - i will be bringing as much migraleive as i can if you cant get it over there, nothing else seems to touch it for me.