Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's the best mobile deal at the moment?

What's the best mobile deal at the moment?

Old Jan 22nd 2003, 12:47 pm
plucka

I'm on the virgin network here in the UK. I rang them up and they sent me out the instructions to unlock it- No Charge. Not bad but then again I think its out of order that any phones are locked in the first place- It's your phone what gives them the right to lock it to just one network? Its the same as buying a TV only to find it's locked only onto 1 Channel.

Old Jan 22nd 2003, 1:21 pm

percyp is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe it's the fact that the handset is heavily subsidised, sometimes free !
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 2:03 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the best mobile deal at the moment?

This site's probably worth looking at:
http://www.phonechoice.com.au/

Best regards.

Originally posted by magnetman
Wondered what the best mobile phone deal was at the moment in Oz.

Have got 4 virgin mobiles in the family in Uk at the moment (on prepay/direct debit). Had a look on the virgin.com.au site and it didn't look that cheap. Expiring vouchers etc etc, minimum monthly payments - a blast from the nasty early days of UK mobiles. Are there any good deals out there, or will we just have to confiscate the kids phones?

There have been posts in the past on this subject but some up to date info would be nice
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 10:23 am
plucka

Originally posted by percyp
maybe it's the fact that the handset is heavily subsidised, sometimes free !
Wrong, I paid full price for the handset as I wanted pay as you go and not a rip-off monthly contract.

Old Jan 23rd 2003, 11:23 am

percyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by plucka
Wrong, I paid full price for the handset as I wanted pay as you go and not a rip-off monthly contract.

maybe that's why they did yours for free, think it would be difficult to get each companies policy on this !
Old Jan 26th 2003, 4:20 am
Just Joined

KellyD is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe that's why they did yours for free, think it would be difficult to get each companies policy on this

Nope! I also paid fo rmine in full, up front and have had a contarct with Orange for 2 years but when it came to unlocking my phone they did not want to know, "It is not the policy of our company"

I pointed out that it was not in the terms and conditions of the contract that I took out with them, "Our contracts are constantly in the process of being updated and modified"
Just Joined

maybe that's why they did yours for free, think it would be difficult to get each companies policy on this

Nope! I also paid fo rmine in full, up front and have had a contract with Orange for 2 years but when it came to unlocking my phone they did not want to know, "It is not the policy of our company"

I pointed out that it was not in the terms and conditions of the contract that I took out with them, "Our contracts are constantly in the process of being updated and modified"
Just Joined

Nope! I also paid fo rmine in full, up front and have had a contract with Orange for 2 years but when it came to unlocking my phone they did not want to know, "It is not the policy of our company"