Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's best areas in Melbourne?

What's best areas in Melbourne?

Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:29 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's best areas in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
if you are working in the CBD, i wouldn't recommend Frankston as you will end up sitting on the freeway for 3 hours a day.

http://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/t...spx?menu=1,238

For the money you'll save on petrol and frustration, you'd be better off looking closer to town - Elwood, Bentleigh, Cheltenham...
but it's only an hour on the train which runs very frequently and at $10.50 for a days travel card bloody good value too
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paul30
but it's only an hour on the train which runs very frequently and at $10.50 for a days travel card bloody good value too
aaahhh, yes. The Famous Frankston line. Been there, done that. Which is why i live in South Yarra now...
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:00 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

aaahhh, yes. The Famous Frankston line. Been there, done that. Which is why i live in South Yarra now...
Sadly the majority of emigrants cannot afford family houses in South Yarra!

Frankston offers the nearest commutable acreage, or large gardens, by the sea which is why it is so attractive to so many.....

Buzzy
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:01 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

South Yarra, you are either minted or renting!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Not minted necessarily, i just value my time too much to spend 10 hours a week on a sweaty, over crowded train.

i much prefer to be in the 'thick of things' - i didn't move 12,000 miles to sit in deepest darkest suburbia...
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Not minted necessarily, i just value my time too much to spend 10 hours a week on a sweaty, over crowded train.

i much prefer to be in the 'thick of things' - i didn't move 12,000 miles to sit in deepest darkest suburbia...

haha..I know where you're coming from. I refuse to live outside of zone 1... the city and inner suburbs are the best things about Melbourne so I want to have easy and quick access!
Having said that, we don't have kids...and are not buying yet as we are happy renting out our place back in London and renting a place here.
I am sure if you have a family the situation may be different
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianneH68
haha..I know where you're coming from. I refuse to live outside of zone 1... the city and inner suburbs are the best things about Melbourne so I want to have easy and quick access!
Having said that, we don't have kids...and are not buying yet as we are happy renting out our place back in London and renting a place here.
I am sure if you have a family the situation may be different
For sure, if we were child-free we'd be in the inner burbs! I would want access to all the wonderful events, restaurants, bars, venues etc. I remember the days

However, there are some fab established areas with a village feel that are great for bringing up young children - without being too far away from the action.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

cammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
What is your property budget and housing expectations?

Buzzy
We've got about £250,000 equity in our house which we intend to transfer to Oz but have been advised to invest in bank rather than buy house straight away as we will be students and can only buy new build. We want to rent for 2 years in the area we will eventually settle in and we need to know the best area for schools, expats and housing.
Thanks for your help