British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What's best areas in Melbourne? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whats-best-areas-melbourne-517402/)

cammy Feb 26th 2008 8:36 pm

What's best areas in Melbourne?

We are looking for somewhere near the beach and about 1 hour from Melbourne centre. Have looked at Mornington Peninsula, possibly Frankston as we've heard that it's beautiful and not too far from things. Any ideas?
Also we need info on primary schools in the area if possible.
Thanks

CharleneG Feb 26th 2008 8:49 pm

Re: What's best areas in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by cammy (Post 5986957)
We are looking for somewhere near the beach and about 1 hour from Melbourne centre. Have looked at Mornington Peninsula, possibly Frankston as we've heard that it's beautiful and not too far from things. Any ideas?
Thanks

We are looking at Melbourne too, I found this on the net which you might find useful

http://www.wheretoliveinmelbourne.net/

The Crow Feb 26th 2008 8:55 pm

Thanks

You will get mixed views of Frankston. The High School has a good reputation - not sure about primary schools. Frankston South is nice, Frankston North/The Pines not so. But all depends what you're used to.

Depending on your budget you could also look at Chelsea Heights & Patterson Lakes. Also, if you like town houses, plenty going up in Bonbeach (next to the beach). Check out house prices on www.realestate.com.au

Buzzy--Bee Feb 26th 2008 9:32 pm

Thanks

What is your property budget and housing expectations?

Buzzy

Brisben Feb 26th 2008 11:50 pm

Thanks

Safety Beach is an awesome place, an hour from the city, nice beach, Arthurs seat close by along with that little island they have there.

Yeah all in nice place..

Buzzy--Bee Feb 26th 2008 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Brisben (Post 5987587)
Safety Beach is an awesome place, an hour from the city, nice beach, Arthurs seat close by along with that little island they have there.

Yeah all in nice place..

Safety beach is beautiful but it is considerable more than 1 hour from CBD, more like 1.5 hours +. Not sure what island is by Arthurs Seat???

Buzzy

Brisben Feb 26th 2008 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 5987594)
Safety beach is beautiful but it is considerable more than 1 hour from CBD, more like 1.5 hours +. Not sure what island is by Arthurs Seat???

Buzzy

Phillip Island.

Oh OK, I suppose it is nearer 1.5 hours!

I know that after a while that travel to work everyday will become very frustrating !

Buzzy--Bee Feb 27th 2008 12:16 am

Hmm yes and Philip Island is not really near Arthur's Seat. You have to drive round Westernport Bay to get to it and that would be 2 hours + from the CBD. Lovely place to have a holiday home though.

Buzzy

busterboy Feb 27th 2008 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 5987633)
Hmm yes and Philip Island is not really near Arthur's Seat. You have to drive round Westernport Bay to get to it and that would be 2 hours + from the CBD. Lovely place to have a holiday home though.

Buzzy

Philip Island has mosquitos the size of dragonflies too though!

Caroline G Feb 27th 2008 12:19 am

Hi Cammy,

South Frankston sounds right up your street!

My preferred area is the beach side of the Moorooduc, around Humphries Rd and Overport Rd. I've also heard that Frankston Heights is nice but don't have any first hand exp of the area and the bit around Mt.Erin near the BIG4 Holiday Park Robinsons Rd is meant to be nice too. There are some new builds in the Stotts Lane area if you prefer new builds opposed to older established properties.

Re:Primary schools I would suggest you check out the following state schools; Mt.Eliza Primary, Mt.Eliza North Primary and Derinya (Derinya has a catchment area). Most people in the area send their kids to state primary school as they don't see the need to send them private as they're just as good or even better. The schools have websites which you can google to find.

Frankston is being improved at the moment see the council website for details
http://www.frankston.vic.gov.au/

Good luck.
Caroline

Brisben Feb 27th 2008 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 5987633)

Buzzy

Oh OK, your a local I only visited for a few weeks, but all within close proximity.

To be honest your better off up here in sunny brissie:D anyway:thumbup:

Pommy Dan Feb 27th 2008 12:26 am

if you are working in the CBD, i wouldn't recommend Frankston as you will end up sitting on the freeway for 3 hours a day.

http://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/t...spx?menu=1,238

For the money you'll save on petrol and frustration, you'd be better off looking closer to town - Elwood, Bentleigh, Cheltenham...

Caroline G Feb 27th 2008 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan (Post 5987668)
if you are working in the CBD, i wouldn't recommend Frankston as you will end up sitting on the freeway for 3 hours a day.

http://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/t...spx?menu=1,238

For the money you'll save on petrol and frustration, you'd be better off looking closer to town - Elwood, Bentleigh, Cheltenham...

Or you could catch the train http://jp.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/me...T2?language=en

scrum Feb 27th 2008 12:29 am

We live in Lyndhurst and it's brilliant.

An hour by train to the CBD and only 15 minutes from the beach.

If you absolutly must live by the sea then I would suggest Seaford or Carrum they are fairly good areas and prices there will soon go up.

Trish

The Crow Feb 27th 2008 12:56 am

Originally Posted by scrum (Post 5987685)
We live in Lyndhurst and it's brilliant.

An hour by train to the CBD and only 15 minutes from the beach.

If you absolutly must live by the sea then I would suggest Seaford or Carrum they are fairly good areas and prices there will soon go up.

Trish

Carrum is a good place (prices are increasing though) - if you are on the Patterson River side, you'll have a lovely 10 min walk to the beach. However, do survey your potential neighbours - my friend who lives there is in an 'interesting' cul-de-sac!! Still, she loves the location though :)

Seaford, similar - good streets and not so good. The Bears can tell you more - they're having a good experience there.

Both places up and coming - prices and environment will only get better.