Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats Bentleigh like. In Melbourne, any ideas?

Whats Bentleigh like. In Melbourne, any ideas?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold
Default Whats Bentleigh like. In Melbourne, any ideas?

just wondering if its rough or not and if its liveabe temporarily

Cheers

al
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Whats Bentleigh like. In Melbourne, any ideas?

Dont know myself but this is what the where to live guide says:

The City

The city of Glen Eira covers an area of 39 square
kilometres (15 square miles) and has a population of
around 120,000 people.

About Glen Eira

Glen Eira has many beautiful, leafy parks and plenty of
flat cycle tracks for easy, enjoyable riding.
There are two 50 metre outdoor pools open between
the first of November until the last day of March.
As one of Melbourne’s oldest areas, there are plenty of
historic and National Trust buildings to be seen.
Glen Eira has some very highly rated secondary
schools.

The train from Gardenvale into the city takes around 20
minutes while from Bentleigh to the city takes around
30 minutes.

Caulfield and St Kilda East are quite convenient for the
city’s tram system.

Suburbs with Train Stations
Bentleigh, Bentleigh East, Carnegie, Caufierld, Elsternwick, Gardenvale, Glen
Huntly, McKinnon, Murrumbeena, Ormond have stations on the Frankston Line
and/or the Packenham Line.

Crime Hot Spots

Bentleigh, Bentleigh East, Gardenvale, McKinnon.

Crime Rate
Better than average.

Economic Prosperity

Better than average.

The People
Life Expectancy* (males) 79.4
Life Expectancy* (females) 85.2
Number of People per square kilometre: 3,075
Local Government Website http://www.gleneira.vic.gov.au/

Overseas Born Residents
Around one third of Glen Eira’s residents were born outside Australia.

Top 6 Migrant Birthplaces

United Kingdom, Greece, Poland, South Africa, New Zealand, China.

Crimes per 100,000 People

Glen Eira Greater Melbourne
Homicide 3.3 3
Assault 265 512
Crime Against the Person (Total) 387 700
Burglary (residential) 811 659
Theft of Motor Vehicle 299 481
Crime Against Property (Total) 4,093 5203
Drug Offences 120 199
Other Crimes 384 658
Total of all crimes 4,985 6748
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mairead
Dont know myself but this is what the where to live guide says:

The City

The city of Glen Eira covers an area of 39 square
kilometres (15 square miles) and has a population of
around 120,000 people.

About Glen Eira

Glen Eira has many beautiful, leafy parks and plenty of
flat cycle tracks for easy, enjoyable riding.
There are two 50 metre outdoor pools open between
the first of November until the last day of March.
As one of Melbourne’s oldest areas, there are plenty of
historic and National Trust buildings to be seen.
Glen Eira has some very highly rated secondary
schools.

The train from Gardenvale into the city takes around 20
minutes while from Bentleigh to the city takes around
30 minutes.

Caulfield and St Kilda East are quite convenient for the
city’s tram system.

Suburbs with Train Stations
Bentleigh, Bentleigh East, Carnegie, Caufierld, Elsternwick, Gardenvale, Glen
Huntly, McKinnon, Murrumbeena, Ormond have stations on the Frankston Line
and/or the Packenham Line.

Crime Hot Spots

Bentleigh, Bentleigh East, Gardenvale, McKinnon.

Crime Rate
Better than average.

Economic Prosperity

Better than average.

The People
Life Expectancy* (males) 79.4
Life Expectancy* (females) 85.2
Number of People per square kilometre: 3,075
Local Government Website http://www.gleneira.vic.gov.au/

Overseas Born Residents
Around one third of Glen Eira’s residents were born outside Australia.

Top 6 Migrant Birthplaces

United Kingdom, Greece, Poland, South Africa, New Zealand, China.

Crimes per 100,000 People

Glen Eira Greater Melbourne
Homicide 3.3 3
Assault 265 512
Crime Against the Person (Total) 387 700
Burglary (residential) 811 659
Theft of Motor Vehicle 299 481
Crime Against Property (Total) 4,093 5203
Drug Offences 120 199
Other Crimes 384 658
Total of all crimes 4,985 6748
Thanks alot for that.

Ive come to realise that this where to live in melbourne guide talks utter rubbish as the "rough " areas with lots of crime rate can be rtrendy or slightly well to do and people from crapper areas go there and robv and burgle and mug them.

I havent found a rough spot yet. Footscray is ok, just a bit tired but defo not uk rough at all. Think Bangkok high street and you are on the way there. Me and the missus went for a meal there and didnt feel intimidated at all. I havfe lived in darkest manchester tho LOL

al
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Bentleigh is OK, its a nice enough place, not much going on. You have Centre Road which is a very long straight road running through the heart of it with lots of shops and usual stuff and not far from southland a large shopping centre. its a bit inner suburban but certainly safe. Also quite close to the beach on the other side of the Nepean Highway so thats nice.

Other side of the highway is Hampton, or Brighton East which is nicer, but either you will be fine.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson
I havent found a rough spot yet. Footscray is ok, just a bit tired but defo not uk rough at all. Think Bangkok high street and you are on the way there. Me and the missus went for a meal there and didnt feel intimidated at all. I havfe lived in darkest manchester tho LOL

al
Mr P and I were in Footscray the other day. He said that he felt really unsafe in parts- bits are OK, but parts are pretty scary.

I feel sorry for the asylum seekers who are often located there- they have just landed in a new country and I would guess must feel pretty intimidated by all the violent drunk and stoned people staggering around,
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.communityindicators.net.a...orts/glen_eira
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:09 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

I like Bentleigh, the Centre Road shopping strip is good, and if you move a bit further inland it will get very expensive as you're in catchment area for McKinnon Secondary. Bentleigh East is also ok.

Is it rough? We do have a crime rate round here, but then again, I saw some guy robbed a house in Balwyn yesterday, keeping a couple of kids hostage for a couple of hours, so nowhere is crime free. Bentleigh is in the south of Caulfield and the predominantly Jewish areas are in the north, so a lot of the racially motivated crimes in Glen Eira district don't happen round there. Apparently last year there was a gang of petrol siphoners working the district, but they must have moved on
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
I like Bentleigh, the Centre Road shopping strip is good, and if you move a bit further inland it will get very expensive as you're in catchment area for McKinnon Secondary. Bentleigh East is also ok.

Is it rough? We do have a crime rate round here, but then again, I saw some guy robbed a house in Balwyn yesterday, keeping a couple of kids hostage for a couple of hours, so nowhere is crime free. Bentleigh is in the south of Caulfield and the predominantly Jewish areas are in the north, so a lot of the racially motivated crimes in Glen Eira district don't happen round there. Apparently last year there was a gang of petrol siphoners working the district, but they must have moved on
Thanks alot guys.

I live in newport at the minute but im opening a barber shop in Elsternwick soon and our lease is up so we may move over for a year unjtil our house gets built as ill be working there til 8 ish during the week and hopefully i can cycle to work then too and dont have to go down the motoway on my motorbike in wet and cold winter!

Al
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:57 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks alot guys.

I live in newport at the minute but im opening a barber shop in Elsternwick soon and our lease is up so we may move over for a year unjtil our house gets built as ill be working there til 8 ish during the week and hopefully i can cycle to work then too and dont have to go down the motoway on my motorbike in wet and cold winter!

Al
You could always rent in Elsternwick....it's a good suburb

Also, check out Elwood, St Kilda East, Gardenvale
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Post Re: Whats Bentleigh like. In Melbourne, any ideas?

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
You could always rent in Elsternwick....it's a good suburb

Also, check out Elwood, St Kilda East, Gardenvale

Thanks but we are looking for a cheaper property.

We have spent a bit more than we wanted to on our house build so we are cutting costs as much as possible and bentleigh is a cheaper area.

Its not forever but its close to my shop and beach and itll do for a year in which i can establish the business then hopefully employ people by the time the house is built and we live further away as i wouldnt bei commuting 6 days a week by then.

Thats the plan anyway.

I have heard you have LONG HAIR so you wont be much of a customer LOL but tell people you know around elwood that the first 2 weeks of opening im giving free haircuts if you dont mind please

Ill be 60 metres from the station going towards elwood on glenhuntly road.

www.mensroombarbers.com.au

cheers

al
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:26 am
Take it easy

Thanks but we are looking for a cheaper property.

We have spent a bit more than we wanted to on our house build so we are cutting costs as much as possible and bentleigh is a cheaper area.

Its not forever but its close to my shop and beach and itll do for a year in which i can establish the business then hopefully employ people by the time the house is built and we live further away as i wouldnt bei commuting 6 days a week by then.

Thats the plan anyway.

I have heard you have LONG HAIR so you wont be much of a customer LOL but tell people you know around elwood that the first 2 weeks of opening im giving free haircuts if you dont mind please

Ill be 60 metres from the station going towards elwood on glenhuntly road.

www.mensroombarbers.com.au

cheers

al
okedoke...good luck with it.