British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   whats australia like? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whats-australia-like-305716/)

xxxCoolJessxxx May 29th 2005 7:41 am

whats australia like?

hi every one my title pretty much says it but how is australia i went threr for a holiday and it was magnificant im just confused on how its going to be like when we live there. my names jess im nearly 13. australia is a place i kinda need help on. ive lived in 2 different countries South africa and England. but im scared to australia. k xxx Jess xxx :p :confused:

moneypenny20 May 29th 2005 8:41 am

Re: whats australia like?

Originally Posted by xxxCoolJessxxx
hi every one my title pretty much says it but how is australia i went threr for a holiday and it was magnificant im just confused on how its going to be like when we live there. my names jess im nearly 13. australia is a place i kinda need help on. ive lived in 2 different countries South africa and England. but im scared to australia. k xxx Jess xxx :p :confused:

Don't know South Africa, but have a friend who is SA born, lived in Australia for 10 years and now lives in UK. She is counting the days to getting back to Aus.

If you have moved about already, I think you will be fine and love living there. I'm sure someone will be along who can help you a bit more.

Amanda&Paul May 29th 2005 8:58 am

Hi Jess

We've been in Aus for 18 months now and our daughter is nearly 13. She loves it here, she goes to a great school that takes her on loads of trips. The sun is always shining and there's loads of stuff to do. She has more friends here than she had in the UK. Our daughter missed her best friend alot when she first came out and phoned her loads. Now she doesn't really seem to think about her at all - although we have just heard that she is coming out to visit us!

We are returning to the UK next year - but she says that she will come back out as soon as she 18! Going on her experience we reckon you'll love it!

coxfamuk May 29th 2005 9:00 am

Hi there - this is Jess' mum. We will be fine sweetheart - we are going to have so much fun. Remember friday, when the weather was fantastic and we had the 60's CD blaring in the car, singing at the top of our voices, having so much fun and feeling so happy, just because the sun was shining - well, in Australia we can do that every day :D

Love you

Mum

Ialibu May 29th 2005 9:22 am

You are in good company Jess, most adults aren't too sure of change either. However, you have the courage to face up to it and ask. You'll be okay,

There will be times when it is horrible and times when it is great. Just like life really, uh oh, it IS life.

Think of it this way, when your friends are emailing you that its wet, cold and miserable, you will be getting ready to go to the beach or wandering into town in Summer gear to enjoy yourself.

Keep asking Qs

xxxCoolJessxxx May 29th 2005 10:14 am

thanks i feel really confident but I'm scared if i don't make friends or i get into the wrong crowd, plus i don't want leave my family behind and Guinness (my dog (black Labrador)) but I'm looking forward to see my other family in Aussie. what are the schools like? e.g mentones girls. are there horrible poisonous spiders? i have a phoia to spiders? :scared:

xxxCoolJessxxx May 29th 2005 10:19 am

yes it was mum but unfortantly gogo got some sun stroke(she told me to put this well she said i just added it) :rolleyes: :D yeah i hope we will be fine xxx jess xxx

xxxCoolJessxxx May 29th 2005 10:26 am

hi ya

;) hi i'm looking for someone i can talk to round about my age (13) who is in Aussie/whos going. xxx Jess xxx :o + does anyone wacth big brother i know mum you do, (i think) but its really cool. :cool: xxx jess xxx

jul44 May 29th 2005 10:43 am

Re: hi ya

;) hi i'm looking for someone i can talk to round about my age (13) who is in Aussie/whos going. xxx Jess xxx :o + does anyone wacth big brother i know mum you do, (i think) but its really cool. :cool: xxx jess xxx

Hi Jess,
I have a daughter who is 15 and we too lived in S.A and then U.K.
We have just moved to Melbourne 5 weeks ago.
My daughter was worried when she first started school as she is in year 10 and had missed the first term over here.
She has managed to catch up with all the work and says that everyone is so friendly to her and wants to know all about the U.K, so I don't think that you need to worry along those lines.
When do you think that you will be arriving?

xxxCoolJessxxx May 29th 2005 10:52 am

hopefully i will be arriving in January next year after Christmas, thank you for helping me sometimes i feel like a baby needing help like i do in this situation, the accent, the roads, the people, the everything else i need to know about Aussie and I'm nervous, i have a cousin over there she says its fantastic but I'm not sure if i will manage i will have to leave everything behind and i don't want to do that. how will i get over the fact that i might never see my family again? (well they will come over and see us and we will go see them) but-it will never be the same. :o :mad: :(

nanci May 29th 2005 10:58 am

hopefully i will be arriving in January next year after Christmas, thank you for helping me sometimes i feel like a baby needing help like i do in this situation, the accent, the roads, the people, the everything else i need to know about Aussie and I'm nervous, i have a cousin over there she says its fantastic but I'm not sure if i will manage i will have to leave everything behind and i don't want to do that. how will i get over the fact that i might never see my family again? (well they will come over and see us and we will go see them) but-it will never be the same. :o :mad: :(

Jess,

The good thing about arriving in January is that you will arrive at the start of the school year, there are bound to be others starting at your school as well.

My son is fifteen and he found it very hard to leave the UK last year, now he loves it here. He still keeps in touch with his old mates through email and text.

We all get nervous about making such a big change in our lives, but certainly speaking for us as a family we love it here in Australia and I'm sure you will too.

Good luck to you and your family.

Nanci

xxxCoolJessxxx May 29th 2005 11:04 am

thanks Nanci i hope everything goes according to plan. i hope guinness :beer: our dog gets a new home that he will enjoy it there im going to miss him lots. xxx Jess xxx :(

nanci May 29th 2005 11:13 am

thanks Nanci i hope everything goes according to plan. i hope guinness :beer: our dog gets a new home that he will enjoy it there im going to miss him lots. xxx Jess xxx :(

My daughter still lives in the UK so I understand how you feel, but I am talking to her now via MSN and keep in touch with her most days, so she never feels far away, and she's visiting us later this year.

To make you smile, I got upset when we couldn't find a home for our three goldfish, luckily my mum stepped in and saved the day, didn't realise how attached I was to them until we had to go. I understand how you feel about guiness entirely.

Keep smiling and look forward to the sunshine and adventure.

Nanci

xxxCoolJessxxx May 29th 2005 1:23 pm

yes it did make me smile and thank you. i went out with my Nan and we started talking about Australia i blurted out crying in a restaurant i felt dead embarrassed i couldn't help it because I'm going to miss her so much. thanks i feel reassured. xxx Jess xxx :D :o :) ;) :p :cool:

coxfamuk May 29th 2005 1:26 pm

yes it did make me smile and thank you. i went out with my Nan and we started talking about Australia i blurted out crying in a restaurant i felt dead embarrassed i couldn't help it because I'm going to miss her so much. thanks i feel reassured. xxx Jess xxx :D :o :) ;) :p :cool:

Hi Jess, Mum here. I felt sad when I read this. I have sent you some karma and we will phone and email and text gogo all the time, I promise.