British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What's April usually like in Melb (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whats-april-usually-like-melb-365913/)

Neil S Apr 6th 2006 5:46 am

What's April usually like in Melb

This time last year the weather was warm, always sunny and generally fantastic. This year it's cold, showery and grey. Suppose the usual April weather here is about halfway between the two? What do the long stayers say?

Teliko21 Apr 6th 2006 5:49 am

Re: What's April usually like in Melb

Originally Posted by Neil S
This time last year the weather was warm, always sunny and generally fantastic. This year it's cold, showery and grey. Suppose the usual April weather here is about halfway between the two? What do the long stayers say?

I've had a few really lovely Aprils and some really horrible Aprils, I don't think anyone really knows what is is supposed to be like as every year is different :P

Bordy Apr 6th 2006 6:13 am

We are 7 years here & never had a bad Easter yet, Winters seems to be on the way early this year but I'm sure we will have a few crackers before it finally sets in.

Shellfish Apr 6th 2006 6:15 am

Aah, what's April like in Melbourne...how long is a piece of string ;) no-one ever really knows

Bordy Apr 6th 2006 6:19 am

It was chucking it down & blowing a gale 5 mins ago, now its calm & sunny. :o

ozzieeagle Apr 6th 2006 6:23 am

This Weather is as unusual as the 33 degrees that we sometimes get at this time of year.

Average should be circa 20-22 degrees now. We will get another couple of weeks around 22 degrees, with a top above 25............. (Hopefully ;) )

MartinLuther Apr 6th 2006 7:01 am

My last 2 Aprils here have been pretty good and it's probably a bit early to call this one. Remember that temps in Melbourne can swing around quite a bit - for example it was low 30s only a couple of weeks ago. The most dramatic change I've experienced here was Feb last year when the temp dropped 18 degrees in 1 day.

:)

peterpom Apr 6th 2006 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Neil S

By this time of year it is autumn, so anything is possible. You would have heard about Melbourne's fickel weather, 4 seasons in one day!!! So showers are not unusual, but like the UK we can have an indian summer which means warm weather a bit longer. This year it does appear to have changed a bit earlier than usual.

BadgeIsBack Apr 6th 2006 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
We are 7 years here & never had a bad Easter yet, Winters seems to be on the way early this year but I'm sure we will have a few crackers before it finally sets in.

Agreed. This week might prove to be a one-off as we are forecast a few mid 20s next week. Winter weather arrrived a month or so early. Last year it was sunny all April and May, in fact Easter is often the best/most stable time of year. It is generally not fickle, unlike Spring.

The thing about April, in Melbourne, is that night time and evening temps start dropping rapidly. You still get hot *days*, last year we got 30 on the last day of April.