Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's with all the hubbies?

What's with all the hubbies?

Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's with all the hubbies?

There appears to be an overuse of the word 'hubby' on this forum, which is not a term that the average Australian wife would use to describe her husband. To me it smacks of a 1950's era/Stepford Wife type of arrangement where the wife stays home keeping the pipe and slippers warm whilst waiting for 'hubby' to come home.

I could well be out of touch on this - is 'hubby' a cool, trendy word for husband in 2004 England? Anyone enlighten me?
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:07 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's with all the hubbies?

Originally posted by nickyc
There appears to be an overuse of the word 'hubby' on this forum, which is not a term that the average Australian wife would use to describe her husband. To me it smacks of a 1950's era/Stepford Wife type of arrangement where the wife stays home keeping the pipe and slippers warm whilst waiting for 'hubby' to come home.

I could well be out of touch on this - is 'hubby' a cool, trendy word for husband in 2004 England? Anyone enlighten me?
I've only got the one hubby, no slippers or pipe in sight. No idea of what may or may not be trendy. Simple abbreviation used when posting, I sometimes use 'his' christian name but hubby is softer than husband and shorter than my other half, him in doors, my better/worse half, and several derogatory terms used on this forum that people call their 'partners/ex-partners'. Is partners too 90's?

Isn't retro back in fashion?
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:10 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

That is exactly why I use the term, Jirrupin, short and can almost be seen as a term of endearment.

I think if my hubby came home from work and found the house tidy, dinner in the oven and pipe and slippers warmed and ready he would die of shock!

Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:16 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by Pollster
That is exactly why I use the term, Jirrupin, short and can almost be seen as a term of endearment.

I think if my hubby came home from work and found the house tidy, dinner in the oven and pipe and slippers warmed and ready he would die of shock!

perhaps we are trend setters
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:17 pm
owieb

I think i'd much rather be called 'hubby' than 'mere male' like they do in New Idea magazine!

Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:17 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't use it. Sounds to 'english' to me. or something. Yes, maybe it does sound old fashioned? I dunno!
Don't know why I care, but I prefer husband, though that sounds stupid too. And so does partner, that's to 'modern' maybe?

Here in Holland we say man. That is the word for husband.(and also has the same meaning as the english man) But that sounds wierd too, so I just try and use his name.

But usually I still say boyfriend, I think it'll be a while before I'm over that. He was that for 5.5 years!

Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:20 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by owieb
I think i'd much rather be called 'hubby' than 'mere male' like they do in New Idea magazine!
I haven't heard that term before. Not nice is it. My beloved, as I usually refer to him is much more than a 'mere male'.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with all the hubbies?

Originally posted by Jirrupin
I've only got the one hubby, no slippers or pipe in sight. No idea of what may or may not be trendy. Simple abbreviation used when posting, I sometimes use 'his' christian name but hubby is softer than husband and shorter than my other half, him in doors, my better/worse half, and several derogatory terms used on this forum that people call their 'partners/ex-partners'. Is partners too 90's?

Isn't retro back in fashion?
Couldn't have put it better myself Donna, but I also called him an ol twonk this morning on here.

Sue
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:37 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

LOL - my hubby would be pleased to get away with old twonk - some of the names I call him can't be published on this family site!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

I just can't use hubby or husband. Too pipes and slipperish. Usually just get by with pointing at him.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

On the theme of what to call the 'other half', I used to like John Mortimer's (Rumpole of the Bailey with that fine Aussie actor Leo McKern) SWMBO.

She who must be obeyed

OzTennis
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:28 pm
WBB

Originally posted by OzTennis

She who must be obeyed
you under the thumb then oz t ?

Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
you under the thumb then oz t ?

No Rumpole was Billy (Geez, I hope she doesn't read this)

OzTennis
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:32 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I've not married Mr Bundy (yet), but I feel stupid calling him my boyfriend as it sounds like we're 12, can't stand partner or significant other or other half and can't call him my fiancee (don't like that either) until he actually officially proposes rather than just saying 'when we get married'

So I just call him by his name, which is Mr Bundy for the purposes of this forum!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:34 pm
WBB

Originally posted by bundy
I've not married Mr Bundy (yet), but I feel stupid calling him my boyfriend as it sounds like we're 12, can't stand partner or significant other or other half and can't call him my fiancee (don't like that either) until he actually officially proposes rather than just saying 'when we get married'

So I just call him by his name, which is Mr Bundy for the purposes of this forum!

likewise bundster.

i call my woman mrs welshgirl (but really shes aussie )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.