Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's this about a Mongrel Mob? (NZ)

What's this about a Mongrel Mob? (NZ)

Old Mar 1st 2003, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's this about a Mongrel Mob? (NZ)

please someone reassure me that mob culture is not a big part of NZ life for the common 5'8"!

we watched a thing on sky last night called the "world's deadliest gangs" which turned out to be about the mongrel mob in NZ. hubby did suggest we should turn it over (being all to aware of my sensitive nature) but i bravely said no let's see it all the bad bits too and be under no illusions when we go. thing is now i realise i was enjoying my illusions and have to know where exactly these thugs hang out and how likely i would be to bump into them on say my average trip to woolies!!

we are hoping to settle in christchurch although at the minute i could be tempted towards the stewart island if that were considered safer!!
come in paula - i need you!!
Old Mar 1st 2003, 10:53 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's this about a Mongrel Mob? (NZ)

Originally posted by jajpe
please someone reassure me that mob culture is not a big part of NZ life for the common 5'8"!

we watched a thing on sky last night called the "world's deadliest gangs" which turned out to be about the mongrel mob in NZ. hubby did suggest we should turn it over (being all to aware of my sensitive nature) but i bravely said no let's see it all the bad bits too and be under no illusions when we go. thing is now i realise i was enjoying my illusions and have to know where exactly these thugs hang out and how likely i would be to bump into them on say my average trip to woolies!!

we are hoping to settle in christchurch although at the minute i could be tempted towards the stewart island if that were considered safer!!

Hi Shirley,

Firstly don't panic!
Mongrel Mob are what is known as a 'back patch' motorcycle club. Yes, there are quite alot of back patch clubs in NZ as well as the Mongrel Mob there are Black Power, Highway 61 and Road Knights these are the biggest there is also Hells Angels in Auckland. Along with the main clubs there are smaller clubs, whilst at the Sounds of Thunder Motorcycle racing the other weekend we saw about 5 other clubs if i remember rightly Devils Henchmen, Lone legion and Southern Vikings were there. Also we were there with our children and so were a lot of other families. The bikers were just enjoying the racing like the rest of us.
There are back patch clubs all over the world, in England Hells Angels are pretty big along with the Outlaws. Back patch clubs are without doubt involved in organised crime. My husband has been a biker all his adult life, we have had friends who are members of back patch clubs, yet we have never been part of or affected by their criminal lifestyle.

Basically what I am trying to say is unless you fancy a career in organised crime or you see a back patch club member and make fun of his bike! you won't be affected by these people or their lifestyle. Their club houses tend to be in the poorer suburbs which you will not be buying property in. I am sure that some of them do their weekly grocery shop in woolies but honestly they will pay for it with money like everyone else and not a sawn off shotgun!
You will not be affected by these people, to be blunt they are not interested in you, you do nothing to threaten their lifestyle, you have nothing they want.

I hope i've helped.

Paula
Old Mar 1st 2003, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Hi Shirley,

Firstly don't panic!
Mongrel Mob are what is known as a 'back patch' motorcycle club. Yes, there are quite alot of back patch clubs in NZ as well as the Mongrel Mob there are Black Power, Highway 61 and Road Knights these are the biggest there is also Hells Angels in Auckland. Along with the main clubs there are smaller clubs, whilst at the Sounds of Thunder Motorcycle racing the other weekend we saw about 5 other clubs if i remember rightly Devils Henchmen, Lone legion and Southern Vikings were there. Also we were there with our children and so were a lot of other families. The bikers were just enjoying the racing like the rest of us.
There are back patch clubs all over the world, in England Hells Angels are pretty big along with the Outlaws. Back patch clubs are without doubt involved in organised crime. My husband has been a biker all his adult life, we have had friends who are members of back patch clubs, yet we have never been part of or affected by their criminal lifestyle.

Basically what I am trying to say is unless you fancy a career in organised crime or you see a back patch club member and make fun of his bike! you won't be affected by these people or their lifestyle. Their club houses tend to be in the poorer suburbs which you will not be buying property in. I am sure that some of them do their weekly grocery shop in woolies but honestly they will pay for it with money like everyone else and not a sawn off shotgun!
You will not be affected by these people, to be blunt they are not interested in you, you do nothing to threaten their lifestyle, you have nothing they want.

I hope i've helped.

Paula

you have, paula as usual! i knew i could depend on you to calm my troubled nerves!! maybe it's PMT or something but i feel a tad easier to unsettle these days. it didn't help that my little sister(who i love dearly) was here today and talking of maybe getting married the summer after we plan to leave and i had this panicky feeling that maybe i wouldn't be able to get back for the wedding if i am commited to work in nz etc or if we can't afford to fly home. i think it just hit me (again) that this decision will require big sacrifices as well as big gains (hopefully) for us!!

another thing, i think there has been a noticeable lack of NZ related stuff on the forum lately and i kinda miss the chat to keep me going! sad isn`t it? maybe i need help. is it an addiction do you think?

anyway i'm rambling again, but i do appreciate your reassurance!
Old Mar 1st 2003, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sorry paula, i hit the submit button by mistake! i also wanted to ask how things are going for you! any progress with the job situation for Ian? have you worked out your options for applying for PR.

i really hope things work out for you. also what about Jack at school now that he has been there a wee while? does he still enjoy it and are you happy with what he seems to be learning?

i look forward to an update if you get the time.

many thanks again
Old Mar 3rd 2003, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

If you intend on becoming a member you could choose the 'block' or the 'bash'. The former is a gang rape and the latter speaks for itself! You don't seem like the kind of person who would be interested though! I have never met a member and they are not around too often. But they do exist and take up a lot of police time and resources. I don't think you would like the climate on Stewart Island!
Old Mar 3rd 2003, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_det...94-1-5,00.html

Last edited by muppetking; Mar 3rd 2003 at 4:02 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2003, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by muppetking
If you intend on becoming a member you could choose the 'block' or the 'bash'. The former is a gang rape and the latter speaks for itself! You don't seem like the kind of person who would be interested though! I have never met a member and they are not around too often. But they do exist and take up a lot of police time and resources. I don't think you would like the climate on Stewart Island!

Thanks for that muppetking - i appreciate your input as always!!

I'll rest easier now and allow myself to stay excited about our holiday. only 41/2 weeks to go - i can't wait!!!

By the way any tips for anything out of the ordinary happening in christchurch first half of april. paul has already got tickets for some rugby match or other (super 12's i think) but i'm open to non-sporting suggestions too!!

anyway thanks again
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I have met Mob members who were visiting a gang member in hospital, they were friendly and certainly polite. They may look scary, but there was no trouble from any of them in the hospital, just concerned friends following a motor bike accident.
Gill