Whats this?

Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Whats this?

Anyone know what this lovely creature is?

I found it in my place this morning.
Attached Thumbnails Whats this?-spider.jpg  
Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:13 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Whats this?

Originally Posted by debsy

don't know, but what a pretty one it is
Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:23 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Pretty??? That's bloody ugly!!! Look at the light glinting off its 8 evil little eyes!!!!
Did you call the fire brigade? The SES? At least call the cops - that thing is big enough to be arrested as an intruder!!!!

If I EVER find one of them in my house.....I...I...I have no idea what I'd do. Probably have hysterics.

YUK!!!!!!!!

W.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:31 am
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point

Think this post is staying away from my wife
Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:34 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by mancity
Think this post is staying away from my wife

welcome to the forum.... its not just about the spiders I promise
Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

It was my first encounter with a spider. I thought that I would be terrified but I was ok. No Panic It was very large about the size of four fingers though. Could it have been a hunstman?
Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:44 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Ummmmmm.....I might be wrong...but to me....it looks like a spider??

Its not the bigguns ya need to watch out for....they are usually harmless...
Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:44 am
rudo1ph

Yuk - wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley!!!

Could be a huntsman......here's what they are like
Attached Thumbnails Whats this?-huntsman.jpg  

Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:47 am
Go Banana's !!

Yee haa.

Put a saddle on it Debs and ride it Cowgirl !!

Warren & Jill

Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:51 am
ABCDiamond

If I saw one of them, I wouldn't care what it was, i'd be on the phone to the Pest Control man..... time for the annual spray.
Actually I think it is time. We've been in the house almost 2 years now.

Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know but suddenly feel quite sick. Its godam ugly uugghhhh

Cheers Jo
Old Dec 1st 2004, 7:00 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

I use these charts to identify the livestock that have been sharing our house:

This is a useful fairly objective one:

http://www.avru.unimelb.edu.au/avruweb/otherspiders.htm

This one is trying to scare you sh*t less so you spend money on pest control services:

http://www.termite.com/spiders/spide...on-chart.shtml

The one in your pic looks like a Huntsman to me - can bite but apparently not really a dangerous bite. The *really* nasty ones are funnel webs, redbacks & white tails. However deaths are apparently very rare from the latter two, and the evidence about ulcerated bites & necrosis from white tails is a bit iffy.

If you are the kind of person who is allergic to these things (it took me 3 years to lose the scarred skin and irritation from a mosquito bite), it is worth getting the house 'bombed' (ie sprayed to get rid of the things). We've been discussing this on Sunny Samantha's thread about 'ANTS & How to get rid of them:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269427

Cheers
Anya.

Last edited by anya4oz; Dec 1st 2004 at 7:06 am.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a Huntsman - I'm often told by Aussies that they're harmless.......I recommend Mortein.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

jodesmc will become famous soon enoughjodesmc will become famous soon enough

these are big buggers and quite scary, they are harmless, and I have tried to live with them before, but they spook me too much, it's possible to catch them and put them back out in the garden, or just leave them where they are, but they do raom. I tried to catch one once and it jumped down onto me and reared up and waved it's arms and scared the living daylights out of me. If you're really that terrified about catching them, the non enviromentally friendly way is to suck it up the vac, you can do it at arms length and it suffocates in the dust in the bag, makes a huge noise going up the hose though
Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:47 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

remember, the hunstman spider is in your house as it's hunting cockaroaches.... and mossies and whatever else it can get it's chompers into!!! I remember seeing a giant huntsman out in the garden (in Brisbane) pounce on one of those little skinks lizards that lurk in the garden, and run off with it clamped in it's fangs!!!

I'd rather have the huntsman than a cockaroach!!

and it apparently is true about the ulceration/necrosis of the skin from white-bummed spiders.. these spiders tend to hang about in the garden, so just be aware the little buggers are there. When I was in High School, my best friends dad got munched by the white bummed spider and had a nasty wound for many months...

but it's part and parcel of living in Oz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.