Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What you've done to make it good..

What you've done to make it good..

Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:43 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What you've done to make it good..

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
be prepared for all the extra kissing they seem to do here when people meet up.

err is this girl/girl, boy/girl or does it include boy/boy :scared:

Looking forward to the first two!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:46 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What you've done to make it good..

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
err is this girl/girl, boy/girl or does it include boy/boy :scared:

Looking forward to the first two!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
It's not France with sunshine you know
Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:57 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

I think the most important thing to realise is that if you're unhappy, you are the only person who can change that.

My parents visited just before Christmas and I was very very down when they went home. I applied for some voluntary work and advertised on here for some friends ! I now go to the RSPCA one day a week and am building up some new friendships.

Also, in this part of Brisbane, EVERYBODY disappears at Christmas. This can be very isolating, so last year we went away too and had a much better Christmas than the year before.

Unlike most of the others on this thread, we haven't had invitations thrown at us from all on sundry. Jim works from home which cuts down any opportunities for him to meet people (he doesn't care, our boy and me are his best friends ) . When you think back to all of your close friendships in the UK, they took years to build up and you have to accept that it will be the same here. I play social tennis and work at the school tuckshop so I have a lot of acquaintances, people I can chat to at the shops and so on, but it will take a long time for any of them to become real friends.

Your happiness is in your hands.

Jane
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:07 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It's not France with sunshine you know

Isn't it? Damn!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:09 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Its well documented how I like Australia and feel I got a few things right to be happy here. It worries me to see the same old complaints as I feel almost guilty.

Apart from the usual cliches, does anyone have a success story with points that contribute to their settlement? Their own little x factor that other migrants can take on? To make it slightly harder, your're not allowed to talk about the size of your house or the weather, or how laid back or 'lovely' something is eg dolphins/ BBQs

Cheers

Badge
We had our own little aussie a few months after we arrived here, that was a pretty sure fire way to help us settle

Lynn
Attached Thumbnails What you've done to make it good..-p3240020.jpg  
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:11 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by movetoperth
We had our own little aussie a few months after we arrived here, that was a pretty sure fire way to help us settle

Lynn

Awwwww, how cute is that? Made my neck sore though.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:27 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

The smile on my daughters face
Attached Thumbnails What you've done to make it good..-gidday.jpg  
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We are probably still on the honeymoon phase so might not count but we started living as normal as soon as possible instead of feeling as if we were on holiday. Bought the house, haven't had a real chance to explore because so much to do on the house and land but I think we are more settled because of that. Hubby got a job as soon as christmas and new year were out of the way, girls got into school and I spend my time trying to sort the house.

We are very chilled and very settled.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:39 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Awwwww, how cute is that? Made my neck sore though.

Sorry, i'm not much good at this pic lark, here he is the right way up, try a hot water bottle for your neck

Should have said too, we have always from day 1 classed Perth as "home", never compared it to the place we used to live and loved it for what it is. I can honestly say i have never once felt homesick... i am home.

Lynn
Attached Thumbnails What you've done to make it good..-ind.jpg  
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Sorry, i'm not much good at this pic lark, here he is the right way up, try a hot water bottle for your neck

Should have said too, we have always from day 1 classed Perth as "home", never compared it to the place we used to live and loved it for what it is. I can honestly say i have never once felt homesick... i am home.

Lynn
I have tried to make a point of not thinking of the UK as home. Try to say UK. first born gets annoyed though - tough
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:48 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Said "yes" to all invitations from Aussies when we arrived ... BBQs/drinks/etc. Result: we got a reputation as fun loving Poms and hence more invites ... build a busy social life and you start feeling at home a lot sooner.

Best regards.
Amen! I think people who come over here and compare it to the UK all the time are prone to failure. It isn't the UK (or France) with sun - it is different yet the same in minor / major ways. There are no rules of contrast that apply. Have an open mind and take it as you find it and you will do well. (and ditch your British football tops!)
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:03 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Amen! I think people who come over here and compare it to the UK all the time are prone to failure. It isn't the UK (or France) with sun - it is different yet the same in minor / major ways. There are no rules of contrast that apply. Have an open mind and take it as you find it and you will do well. (and ditch your British football tops!)
Couldn't agree more.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Be yourself. Don't try & conform to a 'standard' that is expected of you by Aussies or wannabe Aussies. Live here on you own terms & conditions & you'll be fine. It's worked for me.
Getting a job within 3 days of arriving helped.
Buying our house, our own slice of Australia, within a few months of arriving helped.
Having a positive & optimistic attitude helps.
I love it here. I've fitted in here well & feel really at home & miss little of the UK.

It's all good.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:21 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Not a problem ... it's not all visas and tax from me you know ...

Best wishes.

Alan, I know you are a secret party animal and look deceptively innocent.

(well party animal in my stories anyway )

Talking of drinks and beers, you keep some on ice for if ever we get to Oz.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Not to have unrealistic expectations, rather take it as it comes.
Try and get out of holiday mode quickly and into daily routines, make yourself go out even if you don't feel like it especially if you feel you're getting self absorbed (happens with homesickness).
Be yourself as Amazulu said, people will accept you for who you are, if they don't they aren't worth the bother. Don't be a pretentious pom :scared:
Give it time, be patient.
Beware of friends won easily (me old dad told me this one), you might meet someone and think you're the bestest mates in the world and really click... but you have to give it time, don't expect too much from people or you'll set them up to let you down!
Stay close to old friends and family, distance is no excuse these days. You will never replace them, much better to add new friends.
Have a variety of friends, not just a Pommie click although it can be great to get together.
Don't compare jobs/houses/money etc. to other migrants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.