Reload this Page >

What was your reason for moving

What was your reason for moving

Old Aug 6th 2006, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

upyerkilt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What was your reason for moving

First post

I am thinking about moving to oz with my family thats my wife and my 3 kids It will probably be a couple of years yet I am planning a 3 week trip over to Perth to see whats it's like anyway

What was your reason for wanting to move ???
Old Aug 6th 2006, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was your reason for moving

Originally Posted by upyerkilt
First post

I am thinking about moving to oz with my family thats my wife and my 3 kids It will probably be a couple of years yet I am planning a 3 week trip over to Perth to see whats it's like anyway

Welcome to the mad world of BE.
Me and hubby and are 3 boys want to move to experience a new life.
Have never felt at home in the area we are now and being in the army get itchy feet and enjoy travelling.
Mandy
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:04 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

First post

well I'm not in Oz (I'm in the West Indies) but reasons for leaving are probably the same as most everyone - regardless of where we go...

- might as well take the chance - nothing to lose and can always move back
- better off financially
- therefore better quality time with kids as dont have to be a working mum
- OH hated job in UK
- never seemed to get anwwhere, do anything, as no cash
- fed up with taxes killing us
- value for money crap in terms of what we got
- cost of everything
- desperate to see good weather but couldnt afford holidays with the kids
- schooling in our area in state system worried us
- dont want the kids growing up as video game addicted morons

we dont all get what we want ny emigrating and from all accounts Oz doesnt tick all the boxes but for us - speaking ONLY FOR US - we have achieved all of the above, we can afford private schooling, our kids are healthy and sporty living on a beach, there is no video game culture here, no gangs, we are tax free, our life as a family is wonderful..

but we miss our family and friends too, but being only 8 hours away helps and the more years we are away the less pull there is.

Nobody has the ideal life I dont think but have to say our life here is 200% better than we EVER could have had in the UK.

For some it doesnt work - but at least they had a go and then appreciate the UK more when they return.
cheers to you for having a go at being a BE!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:38 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

First post

only going to Perth, lots of people don't like Perth but love other parts of the country in the eastern states.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

First post

You may be better to have a look at the Eastern State, ie Sydney, Melbourne, mainly because depending on what you do for a living it may be easier to find work there.

Perth is a great place, for a holiday, but you are literally days from any other city. There are probably more opportunities for you in the Eastern States, also if you opt for Sydney the weather can be much better. Victoria is a bit like UK weatherwise except it is probably better. The other thing is is you decide you don't like one of the Eastern Cities, it won't be that much of a big deal to move to one of the others. It would be from Perth. In 3 weeks you will think this is great, great beaches, clean blah blah blah, but it may not suit you to live there.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:44 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the problems is that people get poor information prior to leaving. Not saying this is the case for the OP upyerkilt, but I've heard others say that they were talking to friends down the pub about such and such a place and how great it is. Thing is - they might have moved to Perth, for argument's sake, a few years ago when property was still affordable. I'd say these forums give a far more current view of the situation in the main destinations for inbound immigrants. And based on what I've read, and what Australians here tell me, there's no way on earth I'd ever go there. But as always ... horses for courses and all that ...
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved over because we could and fancied a change. Only had to get a spouse visa and had a house to sell.

Had hubby not been fortunate enough to have £10 poms as parents, we most probably would never have considered it
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:17 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

My partner and I were living apart due to work, and decided we'd had enough of a long distance relationship so were looking around for somewhere we could both live together. The options were Bristol or the Midlands in England, then the opportunity came up for my other half to work in Australia or Dubai.

We picked Australia because we thought it would be easier for me to find work here than in Dubai. Little did I know... (I have found work here, but it's different to what I did in the UK, pays less, and I'm still trying to get a permanent role - though hopefully things will improve now we have PR)

If we stay here 'forever', it will be because we think it offers a better standard of life for children (we don't have any yet though) and for big children like my OH who is doing very well professionally over here, and likes beaches.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Hutch]I think one of the problems is that people get poor information prior to leaving. Thing is - they might have moved to Perth, for argument's sake, a few years ago when property was still affordable. I'd say these forums give a far more current view of the situation in the main destinations for inbound immigrants. QUOTE]

Which is really why the negative posters shouldn't always be given such a hard time.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:17 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

We found that the UK could not give us the life we were after.

Having now moved to Oz, our quality of life has vastly improved, we spend more time withy the children, Trish does not have to work, the weather is great all year round, there are loads of things to do, the wages are good, the hours that i work are good and the bbq's are excellent!!!!!

Drop me a PM if you are after any info

Rob

First post

Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved mainly because I was fed-up with working in the South-East of the UK with all the associsted costs and commuting times. I always wanted to go back to my native Glasgow (part of me still does!), but I could not get a decent job (Blue Chip IT experience).

I stayed in Perth at first (Australian girlfriend's family) and loved it as it met my expectations of Australie (Sun, space, excellent beaches, clean, friendly). However, I faced the same scenario as back home with regard to work and had to chose Sydney which I did not like for the first couple of weeks when I initially visisted.

Sydney is a great and exciting place and has something for everyone (I found Balmain and the Inner West!). However, it's no Perth and has the same issues as any big city - noise, crime (some really violent places it seems!), transport, expensive, etc. However, like when I lived in London, part of me wishes I was soemwhere else (Perth).
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:48 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there..we recently moved to Perth and the reasons being were that family live here and thought it would be a better lifestyle for all of us. i have found on BE that if u slag Perth off u get put down by most people on here. They forget that not everyone is suited to Perth and we should be able to have free speech on BE because thats what it is for!! Personally we don't rate Perth. Yes it has lovely beaches, ocean,sand, sun...but thats all. The shops are terrible (fashion non-existent), schools charge a fortune for anything and everything, education is very low on the agenda, very poor wages, cost of living is high and the feeling of isolation is apparent as soon as u arrive here. We did come on holiday first and should have left it at that. We all make mistakes in life and this one is ours. Our honest opinion may not agree with some of u but it is our opinion and can't see it changing ever. Brisbane is where we should be and hopefully will be there this time next year.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:22 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
hi there..we recently moved to Perth and the reasons being were that family live here and thought it would be a better lifestyle for all of us. i have found on BE that if u slag Perth off u get put down by most people on here. They forget that not everyone is suited to Perth and we should be able to have free speech on BE because thats what it is for!! Personally we don't rate Perth. Yes it has lovely beaches, ocean,sand, sun...but thats all. The shops are terrible (fashion non-existent), schools charge a fortune for anything and everything, education is very low on the agenda, very poor wages, cost of living is high and the feeling of isolation is apparent as soon as u arrive here. We did come on holiday first and should have left it at that. We all make mistakes in life and this one is ours. Our honest opinion may not agree with some of u but it is our opinion and can't see it changing ever. Brisbane is where we should be and hopefully will be there this time next year.

Since you joined BE you have done NOTHING BUT moan ! Fine we all know you are not happy in Perth and people have tried to be helpful and friendly inviting you to the meets etc. Your attitude sucks towards those who have tried ! Maybe it is time to get up off your arse, instead of feeling so bloody sorry for yourself and start either planning your trip back or getting on with life
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:43 am
sugar and candy

Originally Posted by sel
Since you joined BE you have done NOTHING BUT moan ! Fine we all know you are not happy in Perth and people have tried to be helpful and friendly inviting you to the meets etc. Your attitude sucks towards those who have tried ! Maybe it is time to get up off your arse, instead of feeling so bloody sorry for yourself and start either planning your trip back or getting on with life
hello there. My first post and after reading many things people have to say it does help in the long run if people are honest. I am not very settled but in time it might change. My parents live here on £10 pass so it was easier for us. I don't think your attitude helps calling people names and does not make the settling in period easier.

Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:52 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sugar and candy
hello there. My first post and after reading many things people have to say it does help in the long run if people are honest. I am not very settled but in time it might change. My parents live here on £10 pass so it was easier for us. I don't think your attitude helps calling people names and does not make the settling in period easier.
There is helpful negative and then there is mindless bitching negative ! which the poster is of the later ! saying in a previous post of "streets are paved with child molestors more like.....kids smoke dope all day " is just a ridiculous comment and unhelpful.

I can understand that it is not everyones cup of tea but unconstructive bitching isnt the answer to settling either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.