Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are your opinions omn this car?

What are your opinions omn this car?

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

greghal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What are your opinions omn this car?

i agree always worth an offer, im glad you've ditched the daihatsu's!!!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 6:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Can you put in a reduced cash offer in Oz,
If you don't make an offer, and haggle them down, they will think you have just stepped of a plane from the UK, and smile all the way to the bank

I can't remember now what I paid for my last car, but it was a price I never expected to get away with, and the car dealer was almost in tears, but he wanted to sell, and my wife said what we would pay.. after about an hour of backwards and forwards, he gave up and sold to us at our price.

I just looked up what I paid... I think it was $16,000 asking price. I paid $10,900 + a trade in, that I would have been lucky to have got $2,000 at private sale.
So at least $3,000 off a $16,000 price.

Old Jul 4th 2009, 10:03 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you don't make an offer, and haggle them down, they will think you have just stepped of a plane from the UK, and smile all the way to the bank

I can't remember now what I paid for my last car, but it was a price I never expected to get away with, and the car dealer was almost in tears, but he wanted to sell, and my wife said what we would pay.. after about an hour of backwards and forwards, he gave up and sold to us at our price.

I just looked up what I paid... I think it was $16,000 asking price. I paid $10,900 + a trade in, that I would have been lucky to have got $2,000 at private sale.
So at least $3,000 off a $16,000 price.

Cheers Mr Diamond. Think i am going to try and get a smallish car, no bigger than a 1.3 litre, two door hatch, no more than $4k, a Japanese car, haggle them down from $5k, what do you think?

Keith
Old Jul 4th 2009, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Mr Diamond. Think i am going to try and get a smallish car, no bigger than a 1.3 litre, two door hatch, no more than $4k, a Japanese car, haggle them down from $5k, what do you think?

Keith
Maybe have a look at something a bit bigger? Small cars weren't that popular until fairly recently, so not that many about under $5k, not when compared to something like a Mitsubishi Magna or Toyota Camry. More choice so maybe more of a buyer's market?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 12:37 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers mate, do you think its a buyers market for used cars in OZ? Here in the UK i am selling mine, cannot give it away. Reduced from £700, to £600, to £500, still bl00dy haggling me down. I suppose it could be worse.

Can you put in a reduced cash offer in Oz, here in the UK, if a car is up for say £1000.00, some offer £700.00 and in todays climate, it gets accepted. Then again look at the houses, jeez, glad i do not have one to sell, must be a nightmare, its bad enough knocking a few hundred quid off your car, how about knocking a few five grands off your house here in the UK?

Keith.

What are you going to drive between the sale of your car and catching your flight to Aus?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

greghal is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers mate, do you think its a buyers market for used cars in OZ? Here in the UK i am selling mine, cannot give it away. Reduced from £700, to £600, to £500, still bl00dy haggling me down. I suppose it could be worse.

Can you put in a reduced cash offer in Oz, here in the UK, if a car is up for say £1000.00, some offer £700.00 and in todays climate, it gets accepted. Then again look at the houses, jeez, glad i do not have one to sell, must be a nightmare, its bad enough knocking a few hundred quid off your car, how about knocking a few five grands off your house here in the UK?

Keith.
to be fair I believe everyone needs some perspective on house prices, whe an asset increseshugely in price for 10 years, then depreciates for not even 2 don't think about what you are lodsing since the peak, thank about what you have still gained since you first bought it (unless you bought in the summer of 2007 that is)
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:17 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts on a Toyota Starlet? There was one outside the chipper tonight, here in sunny Cheshire, looked alright?

Moons!
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Any thoughts on a Toyota Starlet? There was one outside the chipper tonight, here in sunny Cheshire, looked alright?

Moons!
Ok - for that money as others have said you'll not get a lot but as a runaround it will be OK. You'll be unlikely to get any warranty so best to buy privately and always make sure it has a roadworthy certificate so at least it passed a test. Ideally take a mechanic or ask one for cars to buy as you'll get a better deal that way...
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Cars are more expensive and (are made to) last longer in Oz than in the UK. I suppose this is a good thing, eco-speaking.
How are cars made to last longer in OZ? In what way are they changed. DO they have a witch doctor go over them?

So, say a Ford Focus. What happens to it when it arrives in Australia that is different to it arriving in Belgium, or the UK, or Germany (other than a quick change of the steering wheel).

And why would cars be made to last longer in any country versus another?

'Ok Bill, this one's for Thailand. Lets make it last 6 years I think!'
Old Jul 11th 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

Originally Posted by slipshot
How are cars made to last longer in OZ? In what way are they changed. DO they have a witch doctor go over them?

So, say a Ford Focus. What happens to it when it arrives in Australia that is different to it arriving in Belgium, or the UK, or Germany (other than a quick change of the steering wheel).

And why would cars be made to last longer in any country versus another?

'Ok Bill, this one's for Thailand. Lets make it last 6 years I think!'
One reason is salt on the roads in the UK, from winter weather, Ive seen cars over here that are over 20 yrs old and have no rust what so ever
Old Jul 12th 2009, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by slipshot
How are cars made to last longer in OZ? In what way are they changed. DO they have a witch doctor go over them?<snip>
Haven't read the whole thread, however "Australian Made" as opposed to imported cars are designed, tested and built specifically for Australian conditions. Essentially this used to mean that suspension and drive train components/mounts were tougher to cope with increased demands from our crappier roads/dust. An imported car will be a compromise between conditions found in the largest market and requirements (small changes) for wherever they end up. For Aust. this usually means more refrig. in the aircon.

So yes, the witch doctor is an Australian design engineer and the test ground is just Australia (50degC, dusty, hard, big) as opposed to (just as excellent) EU Engineer in EU(+global) conditions (moderate, wet, freezing, excellent roads).

That said, I prefer Euro cars as they tend to be built of higher quality materials and assembled with more care/process

... and at the end of the day, it's just a car - you get what you pay for.

Last edited by craig_m67; Jul 12th 2009 at 4:42 am.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:29 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Hey

We bought a 1997 Toyota Starlet Lite 5 dr last year - about 150000kms for $5000 from a dealer. It's been awesome - haven't had any trouble with it and it costs between $30-40 to fill depending on petrol prices. Haven't even got around to servicing it yet, but I am more than impressed with Toyota.

We are looking to by a Hyundai Getz new next as it has good reviews and drive away brand new is from $12990.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
Hey

We bought a 1997 Toyota Starlet Lite 5 dr last year - about 150000kms for $5000 from a dealer. It's been awesome - haven't had any trouble with it and it costs between $30-40 to fill depending on petrol prices. Haven't even got around to servicing it yet, but I am more than impressed with Toyota.

We are looking to by a Hyundai Getz new next as it has good reviews and drive away brand new is from $12990.
buy a new one problem solved
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by humpy
One reason is salt on the roads in the UK, from winter weather, Ive seen cars over here that are over 20 yrs old and have no rust what so ever
Ah, but that is not to do with cars being made to last as the quotation was, but because of the conditions of the road. Two very different things. Same as buying a car that has lived it's life on the coast versus one that has never been near the coast - one will be far more susceptible to rust in the future because of the exposure to salt water...
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by craig_m67
Haven't read the whole thread, however "Australian Made" as opposed to imported cars are designed, tested and built specifically for Australian conditions. Essentially this used to mean that suspension and drive train components/mounts were tougher to cope with increased demands from our crappier roads/dust. An imported car will be a compromise between conditions found in the largest market and requirements (small changes) for wherever they end up. For Aust. this usually means more refrig. in the aircon.

So yes, the witch doctor is an Australian design engineer and the test ground is just Australia (50degC, dusty, hard, big) as opposed to (just as excellent) EU Engineer in EU(+global) conditions (moderate, wet, freezing, excellent roads).

That said, I prefer Euro cars as they tend to be built of higher quality materials and assembled with more care/process

... and at the end of the day, it's just a car - you get what you pay for.
Sorry but tend to disagree. Modifications in general to cars are things like damper and spring rates, not the fundamental elements of the car which remains consistent throughout the world. No EU made cars are just tested in the EU - all are tested for world conditions and most are sold on world markets so they hot weather testing is done in Utah or Arizona or the Outback and cold weather testing in the artic. Regardless of the car.

My point is that while cars are set-up differently for different fuel and conditions, the fundamentals stay the same so Aus cars are not engineered to last longer - they may be more specific to the road conditions (although that is debatable over any other car since many European cars will be better engineered to begin with because the vast resources and quantities sold) - but that said, they are not made to last longer.

I also prefer Euro or Japanese cars because the global market tends to have a positive influence over the design - Aus cars sold only here tend to be acceptable to those who have not experienced others, but are good value for money for what you get, but built to a price. Acceptable to some but for many Europeans, good but not good enough.

As you say horses for courses though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.