British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   what is/was your new home wishlist? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-your-new-home-wishlist-311103/)

squeezzii Jun 29th 2005 8:55 am

what is/was your new home wishlist?

We all think about the fabbie stuff that we will get or want to get when we finally buy the dream oz home - pool,games room, home cinema, trampoline, etc but is there anything that you wish you hadnt bothered with or that you completely overlooked and wish you'd got-oh no, we wouldn't want central heating AND aircon? :rolleyes: what was your biggest mistake ( yeah yeah apart from not coming out years ago) and your best investment....

possoms Jun 29th 2005 9:27 am

Re: what is/was your new home wishlist?

Originally Posted by squeezzii
We all think about the fabbie stuff that we will get or want to get when we finally buy the dream oz home - pool,games room, home cinema, trampoline, etc but is there anything that you wish you hadnt bothered with or that you completely overlooked and wish you'd got-oh no, we wouldn't want central heating AND aircon? :rolleyes: what was your biggest mistake ( yeah yeah apart from not coming out years ago) and your best investment....

not there yet but will deffo invest in the best central heating/air con we can get. :D

Milo Jun 29th 2005 9:32 am

My lot wished for a pool and got one, but ours came with a smaller than expected house to be honest, no aircon and tatty kitchen, saying that we live in the best area we can afford, so a compromise was called for. Just got the aircon sorted and getting a new kitchen tomorrow so all in all house of our dreams really :D

steve99 Jun 29th 2005 9:43 am

what was your biggest mistake....

Only buying one house :D

and your best investment....

The house I did buy :D

hevs Jun 29th 2005 9:49 am

oh no, we wouldn't want central heating AND aircon? :rolleyes: what was your biggest mistake ( yeah yeah apart from not coming out years ago) and your best investment....

Best investment... my house crap house, great area:)

Biggest mistake.... buying one brand new car for the money we spend we should have got 2 :rolleyes:
Also not writing more terms on the offer of the house cos that offer then becomes your contract (here in Vic anyways) eg, the pool should have been kept running and not allowed to go green and mouldy cos the owners are too tight to run the pump for a few hours a day etc:rolleyes:

As for the heating... got it last week could be second on best investment list:D

Air con will be coming in spring..... so ermm you may need both depending on where your headed:)

Badge Jun 29th 2005 10:39 am

*Wishlist* Work Essential
*Laserlight on the pergola - currently stripped down to structural beams and being painted. Existing deck will then be protected.
*New gutters
*Lick of paint all over deck and pool, everywhere
*New Ensuite ie fittings and tiles. 2nd bathroom could be modernised but not essential

Wood shed(?) for next winter

Luxuries/Lifestyle
Plant veggie patch, fruit trees, chook shed, new garden shed twice as big, new swimming pool filter in spring - got nice new pump and liner when we moved in. Fix up kiddie's cubby house.

Nice to have
New window frames, we've also been told that double glazing may not be appropriate or even needed. Hydronic heating maybe.

Eventually
Ride on mower and trailer
Clear more land for use
Carport

Long term 10 years +

Build 4th bedroom and sitting area and ensuite on top of house

Badge

hevs Jun 29th 2005 10:42 am

Why not appropriate :confused:

pako Jun 29th 2005 10:49 am

Okay, now you've got me started :D We currently live in a very small one bed flat with no garden, parking etc. So my wish list is:

* No neighbours directly under us, directly adjoining us or diectly over us - I hate hearing other people closing their internal doors and slamming the main front door.
* A separate driveway
* A garage - hopefully a double
* A garden
* A shed
* 3 bedrooms (maybe four!)
* A nice sized kitchen
* 2 separate lving areas

That's not to much to ask is it, given that we both work pretty damn hard :( I am so looking forward to November, bring on my new life :D

I can't wait also to have some typical aussie things like a laundry and a rumpus room!!

Badge Jun 29th 2005 10:56 am

Originally Posted by hevs
Why not appropriate :confused:

We've been told its just not necessary in all homes by a window expert - who has an interest in selling us windows... Don't know why.

Badge

Badge Jun 29th 2005 10:57 am

Originally Posted by pako
Okay, now you've got me started :D We currently live in a very small one bed flat with no garden, parking etc. So my wish list is:

* No neighbours directly under us, directly adjoining us or diectly over us - I hate hearing other people closing their internal doors and slamming the main front door.
* A separate driveway
* A garage - hopefully a double
* A garden
* A shed
* 3 bedrooms (maybe four!)
* A nice sized kitchen
* 2 separate lving areas

That's not to much to ask is it, given that we both work pretty damn hard :( I am so looking forward to November, bring on my new life :D

I can't wait also to have some typical aussie things like a laundry and a rumpus room!!

mate go for it - I don't want a big house - just enough space for a family.

badge

zx10r_aus Jun 29th 2005 11:00 am

Would like a bird aviary. The House has to with stand wild life, due to my missus wanting to be come a wild life rescuer. Would like it to be in peaceful neighbour hood. Its got to have at At least 4 car garage.

Jim

Merlot Jun 29th 2005 11:02 am

Just a comfortable home in a nice area that I don't have to contribute my entire months salary in upkeeping!

M :)

sel Jun 29th 2005 11:09 am

At mo we have a 3 bed terrace with not alot of storage space. My wish is for more space a 4th bedroom would be nice. My biggest wish would be to have a pool and enough acreage to have the horse at home instead of having to pay livery costs.

Oh and to have a beach just a walk away ...

I know, I know better start saving :D

MJELNC Jun 29th 2005 11:12 am

:) i wish for all my daughters to have their own room.
Impossible if we stay in the uk.

ub40fan Jun 29th 2005 11:49 am

My wish is to have an en-suite bathroom and a combi heater. I have three children, it is a wonder if I can get into the bathroom for a start, and if there is any hot water left for me to have a shower in the morning that is a miracle!

I don't ask for much really. :)