Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is your favourite Aus song?

What is your favourite Aus song?

Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:34 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is your favourite Aus song?

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
I LOVE Slim Dusty's "I'd love to have a beer with Duncan"!!!!!!
It is a classic.

All Slim Dusty really reminds me of rural Oz - especially since I was living near Tamworth NSW (country music capital of Oz) for a year. Mind you, all aussie country music does that - Lee Kernaghan, Troy Cassar-Daley, Kasey Chambers.

Khe Sahn by Cold Chisel will always remind me of Oz too.

To Her Door by Paul Kelly makes me laugh even though it should be sad.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:59 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Choirboys.....Run to paradise
Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:03 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johanne
Choirboys.....Run to paradise
Mr B's favourite song....

I'm having a Cat Empire moment right now (Hello, Hello)
Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent replies folks and quite a lot of songs I could have listed in my opening to the thread.

And the band played waltzing matilda is an incredibly poignant song as the lyrics show. Eric Bogle and John Williamson's versions are best, I'm not so sure about Shane McGowan's version (but I really like Fairytale of NY). No man's land/The green fields of France (as it was called for a No 1 by The Fureys) by Bogle has terrific lyrics as well. You could change the lyrics slightly to suit all wars eg for Iraq - did you really believe them - that they had WMD's and were linked to AQ?:

http://toosvanholstein.nl/greatwar/m...iemcbride.html

Cold Chisel/Jimmy Barnes terrific - my favourite is Working Class Man which Jimmy belted out at the Olympics (Slim Dusty stole the show at the end).

Another classic is that alternative national anthem which combines Advance Australia Fair, Tie me kangaroo down sport (Rolf wants to tie it down because it just keeps hopping and hopping), True Blue (another JW classic), Skippy the bush kangaroo, Neighbours, The Real Thing, Up there Cazaly etc, etc.

I can go back to the Easybeats, Masters Apprentices, Little River Band, Daddy Cool, Billy Thorpe, Stevie Wright, Max Merritt, Flash and the Pan and so on but most of you won't be familiar with them!

So you are stuck on a desert island and you are only allowed to take 3 Aussie CD's/albums with you. Here's mine:

Anthology (Vol 2) John Farnham's* Greatest Hits
Songs from the South - Paul Kelly's Greatest Hits
20K Watts - Midnight Oil Greatest Hits

OzTennis

* Farnham's Whispering Jack album is the biggest selling album of all time by an act based in Australia and it is in more than a quarter of Australian homes

Last edited by OzTennis; Oct 7th 2004 at 9:14 am.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:38 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Cool Re: What is your favourite Aus song?

For a touch of the indigenous flavour, how about 'Treaty' by Yothu Yindi?!

How come 'Sadie' by John Farnham hasn't had a mention yet?!!

Old Oct 7th 2004, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I absolutely love 'Am I ever gonna see your face again by The Angels.

Also love 'All my friends are getting married by Skyhooks

And Reckless by Australian Crawl

Brings back so many memories of the 70's

Have got tons of favourites but can't think of them off the top of my head right now.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

"Perfect ten"
pretty much most of the others aswell by Kevin Bloody Wilson

paul
Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:45 am
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

1) Assault and Battery - Rose Tattoo

2) Let there be Rock - AC/DC

Turn up the CD player to 10 and enjoy !

Mr IrishMolly
Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader
For a touch of the indigenous flavour, how about 'Treaty' by Yothu Yindi?!

How come 'Sadie' by John Farnham hasn't had a mention yet?!!

Yothu Yindi good, have their first 2 albums, treaty yeah, treaty yeah

Sadie was by Johnny Farnham - he changed his name when he changed his image. Sadie was when he was a painter's apprentice from Dandy

OzTennis
Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:47 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Depending on my mood - either And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda (very sad and moving) or Beds are Burning by Midnight Oil.

The words to the first song are here -

http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/matilda.html

for those who don't know it.
THE BUSHWACKERS BAND did a very good version of it too. Also REDGUM performed "I Was Only Nineteen". Excellent CD "The Very Best Of Redgum And The Bushwackers Band" from J&B Records, includes ASIO; Lachlan Tigers; I've Been To Bali Too & Marijuana Australiana.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
THE BUSHWACKERS BAND did a very good version of it too. Also REDGUM performed "I Was Only Nineteen". Excellent CD "The Very Best Of Redgum And The Bushwackers Band" from J&B Records, includes ASIO; Lachlan Tigers; I've Been To Bali Too & Marijuana Australiana.
And not forgetting 'Give me a home amongst the gum trees, with lots of plum trees ......... dah, dah, dah ........ ON BURKE'S BACKYARD!!

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Oct 7th 2004 at 2:11 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:36 pm
My thumbs have gone weird

thepoacher is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: What is your favourite Aus song?

Any one else heard of 'Snowy River Men' by Kevin baker
or 'Modern Day Swaggies' by Bandy Bill & Co

Classic Aussie songs
Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
And not forgetting 'Give me a home amonst the gum trees, with lots of plum trees ......... dah, dah, dah ........ ON BURKE'S BACKYARD!!

OzTennis
OT- We went on a touristy trip to a couple of yrs ago and the bush songs were sung after the working farm tour- they had our son and daughter playing the instruments up front, that tune just keeps going around your head-aarrggghhh
Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

jodesmc will become famous soon enoughjodesmc will become famous soon enough

Father's Day- weddings, Parties, Anything
Throw Your Arms Around Me- Hunters and Collectors
Leaps and Bounds-Paul Kelly, and Dumb Things,
Boys Light Up- Aus Crawl,
ACDC- you shook me all night long, gets me jumping round the house,
any powderfinger
Jet, are you gonna be my girl, amongst many others
Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marysidey
Rolf Harris 2 little boys
seems you and i like this song...........why so for you ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.